Notices
RC Car Radio Equipment Discuss specific topics related to RC car radios. For general or non rc car specific radio topics please see our regular radio discussion forum.

Spektrum module range sucks in M8

Old 06-12-2005, 09:25 PM
ormes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spektrum module range sucks in M8

Anyone know why the range of an airtronics M8 equiped with Spektrum DSM would be inferior to an AM radio? Am I missing a setting somewhere. All batteries are fully charged.
Thanks.
Old 06-13-2005, 06:26 AM
JRexA

Default RE: Spektrum module range sucks in M8

Is your receiver Antenna Inside the body of your car?
And is the car painted with metallic paint?

That would give a huge reduction in range.
Old 06-13-2005, 09:27 AM
ormes

The answer is no to both questions. Actually, it's my dad the own's the M8 Spektrum module setup. I own a Hyper7 RTR with the cheapa** AM radio installed. He bought the Hyper7 PCR and upgraded to the Airtronics M8/ Spektrum radio setup. The versatility of the M8 radio is incredible and I like the idea of interference-free radio with the spektrum technology, but I am not impressed AT ALL with the range of his system.
My AM system whoops his hands down as far as range goes. Right now I have preordered the new Spektrum radio coming out at the end of the month ($250), but if I'm not gonna get better range than that, I'll stick with my AM (or switch to FM). One thing that is pretty curious though is that his antenna length is only about 8 inches out of his PCR body. Is this too short?

Thanks for the help.
Old 06-13-2005, 11:01 AM
WhoMe

Sounds like there is a problem with your unit. Though I do not own a Spektrum module, I had heard they had a 3000 ft range. I run a Nomadio Sensor radio and the range on that is farther than I can see. AM should not out perform the DSM..
Old 06-13-2005, 01:44 PM
ormes

My AM radio's range is plenty for me, probably as far as I can see and definately farther than I want to run anyhows, I just would like to fool around with the various settings on the higher end radios (not to mention be glitch-free); but my dad's Spektrum module may have a range of 150 feet at most.... not near far enough for my taste. 3000 feet?!!! If so, that's pretty damn good (10 football field's length). Spektrum's built-in failsafe tends to kick in at about 150 feet. I've heard reports of bluetooth devices causing problems with these modules, maybe my dad has a bluetooth enabled cell phone, mine doesn't. Can anyone confirm bluetooth problems? Any more ideas? I may give spektrum's tech support a call and see what they say.

Thanks.
sean
Old 06-13-2005, 05:55 PM
bentgear

That would be easy to check, just turn off the cell phone and leave it in the car. My range is much furhter than needed, no measurement, but I can run my nitro truck out to where it is just a speck and bring it back with no problems. From some reports some did slip out with some problems. Luck must have been on my side for a change. If you try the cell phone experiment let us know the results. I think I would call Horizon service dept whatever the result and see what they say, I bet it gets replaced.

Ed M.
Old 06-14-2005, 10:01 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

ORIGINAL: WhoMe

Sounds like there is a problem with your unit. Though I do not own a Spektrum module, I had heard they had a 3000 ft range. I run a Nomadio Sensor radio and the range on that is farther than I can see. AM should not out perform the DSM..
You guys need toi read the FAQ on the spektrumrc.com site

The radio system was really designed for Racers which typically are never more than 200'-300' away from the car. No one will ever get anywhere close to 3000' with a ground based car,truck or boat.
3/5th of a mile away?? I don't think I've ever had one of my airplanes that far way.

The shorter antenna is Fine,,, they actually say on their site you can cut the antenna down to something like 3.75" and keep it completely within the body.

If you're experiencing problems, send it back, and I bet they will send you a new unit

I race at one of the biggest tracks in the country and have had no range issues with mine
It works flawlessly
Old 06-14-2005, 10:27 AM
WhoMe

I never said 3000 ft was practical..I just said its possible. His complaint that his AM gear was out performing his spektrum module in the range department just sounds as if his spektrum is malfunctioning in some way.
Old 06-15-2005, 11:21 AM
Flubbis83

Is it upcoming Spectrum DX3 radio system just the same as DSM mod but just with a radio?
Old 06-15-2005, 05:49 PM
rushdude
My Feedback: (1)

The early units had problems with slow response times but that problem is fixed now. I never heard of range problems. Give dsm a call.
Old 06-23-2005, 12:53 PM
Minibichus
My Feedback: (1)

I had the same issue with the range. Range sucked pretty bad: I was only getting around 40 to 50 yards range using my NTC3 and my 3PK/Spektrum combo. However, using the HRS-203 receiver I was able to go way further than the 50 yards range.
I sent my Spektrum tx and both my 2 rxs back for service and they changed the tx antenna and the internal wiring for it and the coax plug. I also spoke with John Adams over the phone and he explained to me the issue in more detail. He mentioned that the system should have a typical range of 1200 feet, which is around 400 yards (~400 meters, ~1/4 mile.)

When I got the stuff back, the antenna had a completely different feel compared to when I sent it. It used to be very easy to extend/retract, whereas now it does take considerably more effort to extend and retract and it makes a popping sound when its full extended . My guess is there is something wrong with your antenna, however, he explained that this issue only applied to 3PK modules as the internals are placed in a different way than the M8 modules so the antenna wiring is closer to some critical components that add noise to the signal thus making it probably harder to decode/demodulate. (I have no way to verify this, but this is what he said so I'll have to trust Mr. Adams on this one.)

I'd say, give Spektrum service ppl a call. It only took 1 1/2 weeks for my stuff to be back. I didn't have to pay a dime. I used my HRS for the time being with no issues, the only bad thing was that I had to drill the hole for the long antenna to extend, but other than that, it got me by during that 1 1/2 weeks wait time.

MB.