Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car Radio Equipment
Reload this Page >

Question about my XR3i and low batteries?

Notices
RC Car Radio Equipment Discuss specific topics related to RC car radios. For general or non rc car specific radio topics please see our regular radio discussion forum.

Question about my XR3i and low batteries?

Old 06-17-2005, 06:19 AM
zr1s10
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about my XR3i and low batteries?

Is there any kind of audible warning that will go off when the batteries reach close to, to low for operation?

The reason I ask is I have Energizer 1.2V recharables and they bring the voltage to about 9.2v I havent ran it with them yet, but I'm not sure what he minimum voltage is for this controller?

Please help, thanks!
Old 06-17-2005, 06:30 AM
Engrose

Default RE: Question about my XR3i and low batteries?

Don't you have the manual?

There is an alarm that starts when the voltage drops below 9.0 volts.

How do you calculate the voltage of eight rechargeables to be approximately 9.2 V?

I use 8 NiCd in my tx and the voltage starts at minimum 11 V when they are fully charged.
Old 06-17-2005, 07:59 AM
zr1s10

Thats what the controller says, its got one of those lcd screens. I mean the best I can get is 9.6v !

I guess I should get one of those 11v controlelr packs. You got a link to those batteries?
Old 06-17-2005, 06:27 PM
Engrose

It's just 8 ordinary rechargeable AA 1.2 V batteries. But normally such a battery will hold more than 1.2 V, up to 1.4 V.
It's important that the charger is discharging the batteries prior to charging.
Another thing to control is whether all the batteries are able to be charged completely, often there is one that is rather bad.
Furthermore in my experience it's recommendable to use a separate charger and not charge the batteries while they are in the receiver.
Old 06-17-2005, 09:54 PM
zr1s10

Could you point me in the direction of a better charger for AA's? I've got the cheap energizer one, that I guess runs off a timer? It charges for 7hours?

For draining them, couldnt i just leave my radio on?
Old 06-18-2005, 03:48 AM
Engrose

The charger I use ain't expensive at all - it costs about 10$ - but I guess that you can't use it since it's a 230V unit.
It's a simple one that takes 2 or 4 AA's, discharge them, charge them and shifts to a low charging current when it detects that the batteries are fully charged. The important thing is the discharging and that it detects when the batteries are charged instead of using a timing device.

You can get a better charger from the beginning which can do the same with the receiver humppack.

I have noticed that when the transmitter gives the low voltage warning, not all the batteries are necessarily gone flat. Often it's just two or three of them that are low, and that means that if you don't discharge the others, then they will not reach their full potential.
Old 06-18-2005, 08:24 AM
Ram008

Alkalines have a higher voltage than rechargeable batteries do. Typically when you put in a new set of Alkalines the radio will read somewhere around 11.1V, where rechargables tend to read somewhere around 10.4-10.7V. I use the Rayovac IC-3 AAs along with the IC-3 charger which will charge 4 of the AAs in about 15 minutes. It sounds like you aren't getting a full charge.
Old 06-18-2005, 09:17 AM
zr1s10

I wish mine would put out 10.4-10.7V!!!! I've been forced to buy another set (8) AA alkalines till I get this charging issue settled [&:][:'(][:@]
Old 06-18-2005, 03:42 PM
Ram008

Yeah, that's really weird. I just flipped on my XS3 Pro, I charged it a couple weeks ago at the track the last time I used it. I've only flipped it on a few times to set up the carb on my 1/8 buggy and my gas boat the last couple weeks and it's still reading 10.4V.
Old 06-18-2005, 06:05 PM
Engrose

It seems like one of the batteries are dead or nearly dead. Have you controlled the batteries individually?
Old 06-20-2005, 06:38 AM
gerwen

You should beg, borrow, or steal a volt meter and check the voltage on each of your batteries. Sounds like one is dead.

If they are Nimh batts, they don't really need to be discharged before charged. A trickle charge should even them out. Your cheapest bet is to find a small trickle charger that you can either solder an 8-battery holder on to, or find an adapter and charge them in the Tx. Charge them overnight before you use them and they should stay healthy for you. C/10 is the rate you are looking for in a charger, which is the capacity (1800 mah, 2000 mah for example) divided by ten. So if your batteries are 2000 mah, you need a charger that charges at around 200 milliamps.

Your other option is to spend a bit of money on a charger that will charge AA's and 8 cells (bit hard to find it seems). Then you can set the charge rate. You can trickle charge them to fill em up, or fast charge them if you need them in a hurry. I use a [link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXCLD5&P=ML]Duratrax digital peak[/link] and am quite happy with it. It charges my hump packs, my transmitters, and my rc18t pack.
Old 07-03-2005, 12:45 PM
prophet751

I second the Duratrax Intellipeak line of chargers- I've got one that charges my two transmitters and my two receiver hump packs. It can trickle charge, peak charge (charge an empty battery in an hour or less) and it can discharge batteries too. I bought mine for 30$ at Towerhobbies. Also, I bought a 24 pack of Lenmar 2000mah NiMH AAs for like 25$ at Zbattery.com. They are great in my two JR transmitters. Whenever I get a full charge on them, they are pushing about 11.2 volts or so. They last a really long time before they get below the 9 volt mark. If the transmitter wouldn't cut off at 9 volts, they would probably last forever For charging my transmitter packs, I just went to radio shack (or you can mail order) and bought a package of 5 typical 9volt battery connectors. They snap right on my JR XS3's battery pack.
Old 07-03-2005, 09:43 PM
×SlappY×

i get 13-14 volts with fresh duracells in my transmitter....