Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car Radio Equipment
Reload this Page >

Just purchased a JR XS3...Question?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Car Radio Equipment Discuss specific topics related to RC car radios. For general or non rc car specific radio topics please see our regular radio discussion forum.

Just purchased a JR XS3...Question?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2005, 09:54 AM
ROADRACER516

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just purchased a JR XS3...Question?

I will purchase my Jato when I get back from vacation. It seems that the received, purchased NIB, does not come with servos, only the receiver? At least the auction did not mention servos? What will I need to use this radio with my new Jato? Any help is appreciated, this is my first aftermarket radio, I have only run RTR's at this point. Thanks
Old 06-24-2005, 10:23 AM
Engrose

Default RE: Just purchased a JR XS3...Question?

I assume that the Jato is a nitro vehicle? Is it a kit or a rtr?
If it's a kit then you need transmitter, receiver, steering servo, throttle/brake servo and a battery-pack with 6V nicd/nimh. The servos that normally comes with a radioset isn't good enough to be used for steering anyway on an offroad truck. You need to buy quality servos.
Old 06-24-2005, 10:57 AM
ROADRACER516

ORIGINAL: Engrose

I assume that the Jato is a nitro vehicle? Is it a kit or a rtr?
If it's a kit then you need transmitter, receiver, steering servo, throttle/brake servo and a battery-pack with 6V nicd/nimh. The servos that normally comes with a radioset isn't good enough to be used for steering anyway on an offroad truck. You need to buy quality servos.
Yes, it will be nitro. It seems I will be buying an RTR, but would rather not since I just purchased the radio. Do they sell just the complete Jato car? What is a good brand of servos?
Old 06-24-2005, 11:09 AM
Engrose

Airtronics 94357 and 94358 should be really good but also expensive.
The JR z650m should be good for steering and the JR 590 for throttle.
Hitec has some good priced servos as well, but many people say that they don't last.
Even if you can only get a rtr you'll be much happier with the JR radio and some proper servos. You can always sell the stock radio on ebay or keep it as a spare. Maybe you can convince your lhs to sell the truck without radio??
I don't know anything about the Jato - is it something similar to a Revo? I'm a buggydriver myself.
Old 06-24-2005, 11:12 AM
Engrose

Just found some info on the Jato - it's only 2WD!! That should make it VERY hard to control offroad.
Old 06-24-2005, 11:33 AM
ROADRACER516

ORIGINAL: Engrose

Just found some info on the Jato - it's only 2WD!! That should make it VERY hard to control offroad.
What will make it hard to control in the dirt? I appreciate your help, I will price some of those servos you mentioned
Old 06-24-2005, 12:59 PM
Engrose

When you accellerate a vehicle that is rear wheel driven it will have a tendency to go very light on the front wheels, thereby it is very hard to do any steering corrections. Furthermore when all the power is transmitted to two wheels instead of four, it will break the traction earlier and thereby loose the orientation. This calls for steering corrections and then there is the problem of the reduced steering capacity. When an off-road vehicle has four wheel drive it will be more stable in all situations and thereby easier to drive and more rewarding since you have better control. The downside is that it will be more complex and heavier.
A two wheel drive can be really fast and a lot of fun, but there is a very good reason why all realsize offroad vehicles and all rallycars is four wheel drive.
Old 06-27-2005, 12:14 AM
spokman
My Feedback: (2)

Jato is a stadium truck.. A 70-100oz steering servo with metal gears will do just fine for it. It is also RTR. It should come with servos if it is NIB. You should be able to use your JR radio and RX with the Traxxas servos. Just need to find out the pinouts for the JR RX and the Traxxas servos. Make sure that the plugs are going in right. I would use your new radio as it is a huge upgrade over the RTR radio with the included Traxxas steering servo. See how it works. I suspect you'll like it.
Old 06-27-2005, 06:11 AM
gerwen

Just swap the receivers and you should be fine. If you find the stock steering servo doesn't do the job, you can swap it out later.
Old 07-01-2005, 10:00 PM
rushdude
My Feedback: (1)

How much did you pay? I just bought a jr xs3 too. Mine came with servos. One is a jr z590m servo which is good for steering it has 89 oz. of torque and metal gears. The other one is a standard which does the job for the throttle/brake.
Old 07-16-2005, 12:56 AM
ROADRACER516

I paid $130 for it with a receiver and no servos, brand new. I need to figure out what servos to get that do not cost an arm and a leg?
Old 07-16-2005, 02:30 PM
rushdude
My Feedback: (1)

JR z590m is $40 and the z270 is $20
Old 08-06-2005, 07:27 AM
monitroplease

The plugs on the jato's servos and the jr's receiver might not work. The servo plugs off my tc3 did not work , but I got the 590 and 270 servos with the radio.
If your plugs don't fit ,I would get the servos rushdude suggested. As far as handling of the 2wd jato, it should be a blast if you like sliding and spinning tires at all times. My rustler, also 2wd just took getting use too then I could keep up and occassionally pass my friend's revo. Coming into turns, throttle down, get the vehicle turning and then mash it. Hope it all works out for you.