Notices
RC Car Radio Equipment Discuss specific topics related to RC car radios. For general or non rc car specific radio topics please see our regular radio discussion forum.

does coiling the antenna

Old 07-22-2005, 09:28 AM
laserman2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default does coiling the antenna

that is left out of the antenna tube around the antenna tube affect the radio reception as i have seen several people with that done would it affect the operation by increasing or decreasing the signal the reciver gets

Old 07-22-2005, 12:11 PM
Tigger N. Bennie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: does coiling the antenna

It shouldn't. Just don't cut the length of the antenna wire or overlap the antenna wire.
(This excludes the new Nomadio Sensor 2.4GHz car transceiver antenna).
Old 07-22-2005, 12:20 PM
Nitroaddict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We tried this out at the local field when flying some airplanes the other day and found that the range check distance was dimished when coiling the antenna in the plane. This may be something to consider. During range check, coiling up the antenna and stuffing it inside the plane, rather than leaving it unraveled and trailing outside the fuse caused a the range to reduce by almost half.
Old 07-22-2005, 12:26 PM
Tigger N. Bennie

Could that be because you stuffed the antenna inside the plane? One thing that Nomadio is very specific about is that the antenna wire not be inside the body. In addition, I know that the range was decreased on my quarter scale when the standard antenna was set up inside the body instead of outside the body.
Old 07-22-2005, 12:28 PM
Nitroaddict

That could have something to do with it - I guess as long as the coil was done on the outside of the body rather than on the inside it would work - I would certainly to a good range check before trying it though.
Old 07-22-2005, 12:32 PM
Tigger N. Bennie

Myself, I usually let the antenna wire "dangle" though I did coil the antenna "outside" on my 1/12th scale. However, the ozite carpet track I was running on was small anyway unlike the 1/4 scale track.
Old 07-24-2005, 11:35 PM
P2gee

I'm not a big fan of coiling any of my receiver, servo or antena wiring. Any insulated conductors laid coplanar induce capacitance in the conductors. Coiling a bunch of antenna wire up and ty wraping it makes a helluva nice capacitor. Call any of your radio manufacturers and ask them what they think of soldering an capacitor in series with the antenna of their receivers.