Notices
RC Car Radio Equipment Discuss specific topics related to RC car radios. For general or non rc car specific radio topics please see our regular radio discussion forum.

?Radio Help?

Old 08-08-2005, 07:40 PM
Blue04GT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ?Radio Help?

OK now this is for an entry level touring racer...mostly runnin in parkin lots, but some trips to the track. Was wondering if there is really any noticeble bennifit to going with a digital radio like a Futaba 2PL or Airtronics MX-A2 over a regular old Futaba 2PH. And couldn't see any reason to go for a 3-channel, but all opions are more than welcome. While I'm at it...could anybody recomend a decent ESC thats not too expensive that I'll be able to use once I want to go for a better motor? Thanks people...
Old 08-09-2005, 06:42 AM
JRexA

Default RE: What Radio to buy?

I can personally recommend the Nomad Sensor, that I have just started using. http://www.nomadio.net
Very easy to setup, lots of features, and more features on the way, because it is software based.

Also running on 2.4Ghz DSS makes it very easy, as the system automatically finds a free channel of the 78 available channels on that band.

With the Sensor you also get real time telemetrics.
Check out this Sensor Thread for more info.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_1762790/tm.htm

If the sprox US$ 520 Nomad Sensor system is over your budget, then look at the Spektrum DX3 at around US$ 250.
Old 08-09-2005, 07:10 AM
gerwen

You will see and feel a difference going up to a mid-range computer radio. The adjustability is especially good, so you can fine tune your radio to the car, giving more precise control. You can also have different setups for different conditions, and use model memory to keep them.

An FM radio also offers better glitch resistance.

You may not need the 3rd channel for now, but who knows in the future? Plus, the 3 channel radios seem to be a notch above their 2 channel counterparts.

Futaba 3PM, Airtronics MX-3 and Hitec SRX all seem to be really good radios in the $100 range. I personally have a JR XS3 and love it. It's a little more money, but it's a synth radio, so i have access to all 75Mhz channels without swapping crystals.
Old 08-09-2005, 06:39 PM
Blue04GT

I think I'm leaning toward a Futaba 3PM if i can find one near $100, but if I can't I may go with the Agressor. Never had any experiece with HItec...how's the quality with thier radios/does the SRX have ABS? I'm defiinitely keeping budget in mind here since I'm building a car for myself and the wife at the same time here.
Old 08-09-2005, 07:08 PM
Tigger N. Bennie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I recommend that you physically "hold" a variety of transmitters with the batteries installed prior to making any purchase and that your wife do the same since the weight and balance differs. If possible, visit a track and personally speak with people using the transmitter and try the particular transmitter out whatever the brand. After all, some people may prefer all the "bells and whistles" of an expensive transmitter but if someone doesn't like the feel of the particular transmitter, it doesn't do much good if they are fighting the transmitter the entire time they are driving and then just end up selling it. One thing that I would do is purchase at least a 3-channel FM transmitter with multiple model memories in case you expand your RC collection. You may also want to consider the cost of additional receivers.

I'm sorry I can't provide any feedback on either of those two particular transmitters you listed since I own and favor the following transmitters in this particular order: Nomadio Sensor (2.4Ghz), Futaba T3PK (AM/FM Modules), and a JR XS3 (FM Synthesized). By the way, the Spektrum DX3 is very similar in looks to the older JR XR2 but with a 2.4Ghz set up and basically what appears to be the same servos that ship with the JR XS3.
Old 08-12-2005, 02:46 PM
Blue04GT

Default RE: ?Radio Help?

Well I've narrowed my choice down to JR XR3i or a Futaba 3PM....andone who actually uses/used one or both of these radios with an opinion?
Old 08-12-2005, 03:03 PM
Engrose

Instead of the JR XR you should consider the JR XS, since it is synthesized so you can change channel without having to buy extra crystals.
Old 08-12-2005, 03:26 PM
Blue04GT

I would gladly if you are willing to give me the extra $200 (buying 2...one for me one for wife) [sm=lol.gif]

I'm on a strict budget here people[&o]
Old 08-12-2005, 06:19 PM
Engrose

I can understand your problem, but since a JR XS can be had for 125$ you must have found a really good deal on the JR XR
Old 08-12-2005, 07:29 PM
Blue04GT

ORIGINAL: Engrose

I can understand your problem, but since a JR XS can be had for 125$ you must have found a really good deal on the JR XR
Well if you can tell me where to get a JR XS3 with a reciever and servo for $125 I would be all over that. The best I have found is $190 for a 75mhz set.
Old 08-13-2005, 04:42 AM
Engrose

Ebaynumber: 5960954503

But they only have 27 or 40 mhz!

Old 08-13-2005, 02:43 PM
Blue04GT

ORIGINAL: Engrose

Ebaynumber: 5960954503

But they only have 27 or 40 mhz!
Not in America! We have 27 or 75 mhz.....Silly European. Well I bought a XS3 75mhz off ebay for myself off ebay for $152 shipped. Since I bought everything else for her the wife is gonna have to buy her own radio now. LOL
Old 08-15-2005, 06:30 AM
gerwen

Nice choice. I love my XS3

If you're putting rechargeables in it, be aware that the charging jack is different than for a futaba (most common type).
It is a different size and reversed polarity.
Old 08-15-2005, 07:57 AM
Blue04GT

ORIGINAL: gerwen

Nice choice. I love my XS3

If you're putting rechargeables in it, be aware that the charging jack is different than for a futaba (most common type).
It is a different size and reversed polarity.
Thanx...good info