Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car Radio Equipment
Reload this Page >

help with spektrum RC reciever shutting off - anyone?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Car Radio Equipment Discuss specific topics related to RC car radios. For general or non rc car specific radio topics please see our regular radio discussion forum.

help with spektrum RC reciever shutting off - anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2006, 12:23 AM
elite
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help with spektrum RC reciever shutting off - anyone?

So I have a LST2, and Im running a spektrum system with M11 transmitter.

I have a problem......I will be driving my truck (at the track) and just about every single tank the trucks rec will just shut off, and the truck will run away. I will go over and notice the rec light is OFF - so I will turn it to the OFF position and back on...and itll work again.

Its really frustrating becuase I have another nitro truck (revo), as well as an electric mini vendetta. It DOES NOT shut down on my other vehicles, nor has it ever with the 3 recievers ive had but I still sent that reciver into horizon for an update. It was fine they say - they installed the latest firmware anyhow. I tried 3 other recievers and it did it so - i knew it wasnt it - but to eliminate that factor I still sent it it.

I replaced - the switch harness, battery pack, throttle servo, reciever - only thing left are the 2 steering servos. I really dont think thats the problem but I dont have servos to test so I cant eliminate that for sure but it just wouldnt make sense.

I checked spektrums site - there was a fix for this EXACT problem - it was to re-route the TX module antenna wire which I did also with no success - still ran away during the next run. Spent alot of money trying to get my NEW LST2 working, again no success.

Last thing I can think of is to get this spektrum voltage protector. All I can think is that the dual steering servos are straining the rec and its dropping voltage - but why once it retained a decent voltage wouldnt it turn back on? If the failsale engages and it regains signal itll come back on so im just not sure with my theory but I dont know what else to try. do these work?????

I dont know about when spek recievers shut down till turned back on, vs just temporarily going off while seeing a vontage drop.

Any help wound be appreciated, I just dont know what to do.

Here is a link to the article with the simple fix to the shut down issue which DIDNT help but this does describe my prob to a T! I dont see how the tx module would/could effect the rec shutting down upon impact, but.....I tried it anyway! (2nd update down dated 11/2/05)

http://www.spektrumrc.com/Articles/HobbyWire.aspx

Thankssssss!
Old 01-07-2006, 02:38 AM
bentgear

Default RE: help with spektrum RC reciever shutting off - anyone?

I assume you have set up the failsafe to go into brake mode at signal failure so that would rule out signal failure. I am not sure at what voltage the receiver will drop out, but I have set the telemitry to signal me at 5 volts and have played with it down at this level with no drop outs.

I have one in a LST but it only has 650 servos so the loading may not be as great as yours. The only time any of mine have given any problems is when they got wet.

Ed M.
Old 01-07-2006, 11:22 AM
elite

We know spektum is more demanding - so Im thinking (or spektrum described) that when im on throttle, and steering, and bit a bump the servos are finally hit with another draw....and that last bit on impact is the last leg in the packs ability to keep steady voltage so it dumps for a sec. Thats all I can assume.

The pack isnttt new, but it seems ok although I have an IB1200 pack on the way so perhaps I do have a bad cell and the other pack I tried wasnt a good quality pack either.

5 volts is pretty darmn low, I cant see dropping below that but....truthfully it there is a "IFFY" cell it could dump for a split second.

I just feel its that because non of my other cars do it.....soooo frustrating.

from spektrums site - Under load high torque servos can draw well over 1 amp each. so if I have 2 steering and a throttle, its possble to draw 2-3 amps and if the 5cell 1100 packs 1/2 charged and draws another 3 amps its gettng close to not being able to operate, I think they say 3.6ish.

I guess what we need to figure out is...if the voltage is LOW enough to shut it down, will it stay off - or will it come back on once it regains/ or is off load IE - let off servos and wait a sec. I recall killing the pack and playing with the servos and it would go off and come back on - man I dont know lol..this sucks!

Old 01-08-2006, 01:45 PM
zaphod42
My Feedback: (3)

If the voltage into the Spektrum receiver drops low enough to turn off it will not reset itself once the power is back. You will have to turn it off and on to reset it. It has to be the voltage dropping too low for just a millisecond or two from the symptoms you describe. The 'voltage protector' (it's actually a 100 uFd (microfarad) 10 Volt Aluminum Electrolytic Capacitor) will likely solve your problem - it filters the voltage to prevent spikes (both positive and negative) from affecting the BEC output of the ESC.
Old 01-09-2006, 12:36 AM
bentgear

Did a little more testing. Receiver and telemitry drops out somewhere below 3.2 volts. Used a low battery pack and cycled the steering servo to drop the voltage. Receiver would drop out and fail safe kicked in sending throttle servo to full brake. As soon as the voltage built back up to about 4 volts receiver kicked back in and steering was operational, throttle returned to idle. This took a very short amount of time, much less than if the switch was cycled which would cause conditions similar to what you are reporting.

Still wondering how you have your failsafe set. If it is set to go into brake mode then something must be causing you to loose all voltage to the receiver.

Ed M.
Old 01-09-2006, 03:25 AM
benifur
My Feedback: (4)

Dang I hate to read this.
I only ran my M-11 w/Spektrum for a couple month or so before the weather got bad.
It worked fantsatic!!!!!!..
I just received the telemetry pack. I hope I have better luck
I'm going to run 2 batt. packs it parellel you think that's the answer?
Old 01-09-2006, 09:39 AM
bentgear

Why would you want to run two packs? The system works perfectly..........well below a voltage that would make the slowing response of the servos a pain in the ***** to drive. A 1400 receiver pack seems to be good for over an hour. As with ANY radio system, just need to make sure there are no periodic open circuits, ie. bad switches, connectors, or loose battery buss bars.

I think the testing has also proven that there is no need for a add on fail safe.

Ed M.
Old 01-09-2006, 05:02 PM
TT120

I had a very similiar problem with my Spektrum on my RC10GT, couldn't get a whole lap before everything just died. Turned out to be a faulty on/off switch. Once I replaced the switch, all the problems went away.
Old 01-10-2006, 01:40 AM
CR500rider

quick queston........when you "bond" the reciever to the module it also sets the failsafe settings right? my question is do all 3 channels go into failsafe mode? if i bonded the reciever to the module and i not knowing had the reverse on, would the truck go into reverse when the failsafe kicked in?
Old 01-10-2006, 03:24 PM
elite

I have my failsafe set to brake - like it should.....tried it at idle too just to not have the servo work to get back to brake and still .....same thing.

Interesting about the voltage being that low and still operating - they seemed to think itll die out alot earlier but your telemtry reading makes sense.

I am thinking its the tx module as odd as it seems and as odd as it is being my other cars arent doing it. Just the way perhaps my 3rd model memory binds with my specific module. Only way to really test is fix that and try again....and pray!

I have talked to horizon they think its the tx module also - its on its way in (waiting for a call tag) so ill let you all know.....

Thanks for postin..

I dont have another failsafe inline....no need as stated above.