Notices
RC Car Radio Equipment Discuss specific topics related to RC car radios. For general or non rc car specific radio topics please see our regular radio discussion forum.

Size matters?

Old 02-05-2006, 01:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Size matters?

Hey everyone. I'm new here and have a question that has probably been asked a million times, but here it goes...

Is it practical to buy the (one) best, as many as possible channels transmitter/recieve as possible, for multiple models? In other words, I have a r/c motorcycle, am planning on buying a r/c plane, and am seriously considering a helicopter and car. Can I buy one transmitter for all?

I would probably use multiple recievers, one for each. As each model would have it's own dedicated servo(s) and ESC. But, can I use one (say, 6 channel) stick type transmitter for all? Can everything be made to work easily, be compatible? Especially if I use a good namebrand radio like Futuba?

Thanks everyone, all insight is apreciated.
Old 02-05-2006, 01:58 PM

Default RE: Size matters?

Where I live you could buy a high end Aircraft Radio, and use the frequensies that here are legal for both surface and air RC Models.

In Greenland where I live, that would be 40mhz, that also goes for Denmark, and I think most of Europe.
35Mhz is reserved for Air use only in Greenland and Denmark.

You could also look at the 6 channel 2.4Ghz offering from Spektrum, that should be legal for both Air and Surface use, also in the US.

The main problem is, if you want to use Wheel for surface.
I don't think running a Plane or a Heli is easy with a wheel/trigger type RC controller.
Old 02-05-2006, 04:03 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In the US, there are "surface" transmitters and there are "air" transmitters. Surface is usually 27 MHz and 75 MHz, while air is 72MHz.

I have seen a "few" people race RC cars with a stick transmitter. Tractor-trailers and robots are also usually run by stick transmitters. Consequently, if it had to be "one" transmitter I would use a stick transmitter. Myself, I considered the Futaba 9CH transmitter once since it can operate both airplanes and helicopters and since I was also told that the module could be changed out (sort of like my Futaba T3PK which can be Spektrum/Synthesized/PCM/HRS/Spektrum) and used to operate both tractor-trailers and robots; however, when I spoke to the Hobbico/Great Planes reps in person at one of the shows, I was told that they would not sell the module separately. I was also told that I would have to purchase it overseas, that it would probably take a year to get it separately (?), and good luck. I took it as being blown off since at that time, they were pushing their new $2200 transmitter--the Futaba 14MZHP.

Of course, with the new Spektrum DX6 DSM 6CH Park Flyer System, "air" can also be run on 2.4GHz like the cars. I also asked a world class rated helicopter pilot about the DX6 and he felt it was "lacking". Granted, I probably couldn't tell the difference. However, I do know that it is limited to 6 channels which doesn't have as many channels as some people want. According the Spektrum's website the DX6 ships with an AR6000 receiver, yet the DX2 "car" radio ships with the SR3000 receiver--my point being that the receivers are different and though they both operate on 2.4GHz, I don't know if they can be used interchangeably and it appears that the FAQs at Spektrum may need to be undated since it appears to be based on pre-release DX6/AR6000 information. I was thinking about purchasing the DX6 and I could have tried the two different receivers, but I just spent that money on a new "mini nitro buggy".

http://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/D...ProdID=SPM2460
http://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/D...ProdID=SPM2020
http://www.spektrumrc.com/DSM/FAQ.aspx

Old 02-05-2006, 07:30 PM

Thanks guys,

Good info. As a matter of fact, I was looking at the new Spektrum DX6. I'm not opposed to using stick on surface. Maybe not as intuitive to use without a whell, but should not be a problem once I get used to it.
As far as the number of channels, six should be more than enough for what I need in the near future.