Community
Search
Notices
RC Car Radio Equipment Discuss specific topics related to RC car radios. For general or non rc car specific radio topics please see our regular radio discussion forum.

3PK and Spectrum Pro module

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2006, 07:04 AM
HaveBlue

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3PK and Spectrum Pro module

I've just set up my 3PK and put in the new Specktrum Pro module.. not sure if I like this all that much.. I originally set up the features with the pcm reciever that come with the 3pk (R113IP) before introducing the spektrum into the system.. ..everything works ok but I have 2 things that bug me about this combo

the first , is when I have the transmitter near the receiver, the servos get quite jittery, they stop this when I get about 4 or 5 feet away.

the second thing is , the display on the screen shows the battery voltage, the digit behind the decimal point is now unreadable as if it is trying to display two different digits in that space or it can't make up it's mind if its 10.4 or 10.5 volt

I know these aren't biggies, but they are unexpected.. It seemed to be less annoying with the 40 mhZ on pcm... I know I can always go back to the PCM , but love the idea of not having to worry about what frequency I'm on

are these normal for this radio combination? or is there something up with my system???
Old 07-20-2006, 08:17 AM
mkincy

Default RE: 3PK and Spectrum Pro module

you shouldn't be having any glitching with the spectrum, the gitering tells me something is wrong. but not sure what. the last digit on my 3pk changes like that while it is sending commands, so it seems like your tx is always sending a command.
Old 07-20-2006, 09:05 AM
HaveBlue

thanks for answering my questions..after reading all the good stuff about glitch free I was really cheesed of when the servo's started to glitch with the spectrum module and rx... I have been setting up the radio over the last two days.. I dial something in..than go do other stuff, read the manual from the 3PK and dial in the next feature I want..it all seems to work well unless the TX is within a couple of feet of the car..if I move away ..it's all glitch free and works fine...if I put the TX next to the car..I get servo buzz and intermitant glitching...sheesh, this wasn't a cheap radio setup..now I have an very expensive dissapointment[:-]...hope it works well on Sunday ..it's my first met..oh well I'll see if i can get some help from specktrum..
thanks mkincy..I'm beginning to think your the only one who bothers to answer my ?'s
Old 07-21-2006, 07:45 AM
SAVAGEJIM

I have a 3PK with DSM module too. I noticed the throttle/brake servo buzzes. I thnik this is a common problem; I bought a second 3PK and transplanted the DSM module to it. It still buzzes. I then bought a second tx module and replaced the old DSM module with the new. The throttle servo still buzzes. I'm now writing Spektrum about this problem.

As far as the decimal behind the voltage count, that is not anything to be concerned about. It just means that you batt is pushing at precisely 10.45volts and the 3PK is trying to decide which is correct. If the decimal does not sabilize as you use your battery, you may have to send it to Futaba for them to look at it (or grin and bear it).
Old 07-21-2006, 09:45 AM
HaveBlue

I ended up sending an email to Horizon hobbies, they gave me a prompt reply stating that if the Tx and Rx are within a couple of feet(like my issue) the units can fight against each other..so this tells me that while it might not happen to everyone ,it can in some instances such as mine.
well looks like I have little to worry about then, and thanks Savagejim, for that info on the voltage display..I didnt't think the display would be so touchy...it has at times displayed all digits clearly so I'll leave that as current drain

I know they're not serious problems , just slightly annoying, but if they aren't really an issue ..I wont give it a second thought

I didn't mention the servo buzz to horizon so if you get a reply from Specktrum about this SJ would you please post it here... I didn't know what to think about that..my steering servo (JR NES605) buzzes but I can get rid of that with a click of trim..but it's not a permanent fix..every so often I have to retrim it as it starts buzzing again..then I noticed one of my Futabas (9204s) the one on the hydralic brake(front) buzz's alot to.. but I put it down to it being a tired servo as it has trouble fully appling the front brakes..

the rear brakes in my car are cable , with the same model servo.. this has no issue that I have noticed as yet
Old 07-24-2006, 03:53 AM
Stegy

Be sure that before you mount spektrum module in your 3pk, all your models should be set to PPM modulation, even if oyu turn your radio on without sending radio signal (display switch od the left side) you can damage your module easily and that is the only problem we had with spektrum system.
Friend killed his spektrum because he first put the module in, the he swithed from HRS mod to PPM mod, system worked od for 15min, and avery now and then had a full throttle or fail safe blast.

Just wanted to share my experience, so that doesnt happend to you.
I'm very sattisfied with my spetkrum, works perfectly in 3 large scale cars!
Old 07-24-2006, 06:05 AM
HaveBlue

yeah I might have contributed,i did the samething but had it set to PCM when I tried to bond them, so maybe I am the culprit, but as I stated if it's more than a couple of feet everything is fine..went to my first met yesterday and it performed flawlessly..to bad I cant say the same for my driving
Old 08-10-2006, 07:47 PM
Nomadio_Sales

Futaba openly launched their surface 2.4 GHz radio program at the German 1:5 scale nationals they took 1, 2 and 4th place from all accounts it is now a FHDSS not a DSSS system as it had been. Gee I wonder how that was influenced? No problem with "cross brand" issues or clock speed
Old 09-10-2006, 02:33 AM
ViperSkull

Hey, I just bought the spektrum HRS module and receiver for my 3PK today, i have the same problem with the battery voltage trying to make up it's mind wether it's 11.0v or 10.9 and then wether it's 10.8 or 10.4v. Like the guy said it's no biggie but i would like to exactly know how much battery i have left.