Notices
RC Car Radio Equipment Discuss specific topics related to RC car radios. For general or non rc car specific radio topics please see our regular radio discussion forum.

Nomadio React 2.4GHz Radio

Old 03-04-2010, 11:39 AM
46u
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Nomadio React 2.4GHz Radio

I had this problem one time an the mother board was bad.. Do you charge the battery while it is in the TX other then the USB port? If so and the battery got a little over 6 volts this will fry the mother board as that is what happen to me. Not sure that is the problem just passing on my experience. Scot at Nomadio told me NEVER charge the battery while in the TX unless you are using the USB port which takes FOREVER. He all so said he does not know why they put a charging jack on this as he has seen many fry their mother board do to it. Just another screw up by Nomadio not putting something it the radio to protect it from this.
Old 03-04-2010, 04:47 PM
Aack

Sounds like thats the issue. Anyone have any idea if the fix is simple. I am happy to do some soldering if required even surface mount. I have a decent iron. I doubt the unit is still under warranty. Its at least two years old. I suspect from this thread that nomadio are no longer repairing the product or replacing parts. If I can replace a small part or bridge around the blown component somehow I'd just be happy to get the thing working again. I am encouraged that it powers off USB just fine.

Hmmm. A thought just occurred. I have a dell solar chager that could supply USB power in the field. I would just need some uglies with the silver tape :-)
Old 03-04-2010, 05:01 PM
46u

Nomadio hobby line is GONE never to return again. They left many of us holding the bag!!!!! When it happen to me they replaced the whole radio as it was under warranty. Scott told me they did not repair the mother boards. I use a charger that can be used with either AC or DC but I charge the battery out of the radio. To charge it by the USB port takes at least 24 hours or more.

Sorry to say but it is time for you to look at getting another radio unless you can find a use React.
Old 03-04-2010, 06:19 PM
Aack

Well if its done then it looks like I'll be cracking it open later and poking around with the meter. I might buy some parts and build a 5.5v regulator into the foot behind the charge socket if I can work this out. Theres heaps of room in there, I don't know why they didn't do it themselves. It may be redundant, I may end up losing the existing battery connection and putting the battery through a 5v reg and into the USB rx pair. I'd just lose the local voltage monitoring then. I'm just struggling mentally with the fact that once powered from USB it can monitor and charge the battery. It has connectivity down there, it just can't power off it as if there is a little dc-dc convert or something that has eveporated.

It'd be a real shame to not get it going again. Its technically well ahead of most things around, and I have 2 transcievers, one never even used.

Anyone tried binding the 4pk to a nomadio rx? If that worked, did the telemetry work? Yeah I know. Thats a probably longer shot than getting Nomadio to fix the handset.

BTW: How do I contact Nomadio about this? I bought the unit through Tower and they shipped it to oz. I suspect Nomadio would want it shipped back to US if they were to look at it themselves. That would just be painful.

Old 03-04-2010, 06:45 PM
46u

The reason they did not put a regulator in is the same reason they did not put a diode in it so if you hook up the batter backwards it does not fry it. Same reason they left so many holding the bag THEY JUST DID NOT CARE ABOUT SCREWING PEOPLE! Keep us posted on what you fine and I wish you luck.
You can all so bind the older style Spektrum RX to the React and no you cannot bind a 4PK to a Nomadio RX.
Old 03-04-2010, 07:08 PM
Aack

Thanks heaps for all your input. I'll let you know what I find. It's Friday 11am here so it'll be a while till I can get to it. It might even be a few days / weeks if I'm slack.
Old 03-06-2010, 06:00 AM
Aack

So! Today I grabbed up the radio and tools and headed out to the shed where my Soldering Iron is. Muttering about multi layer boards and wondering how I am going to trace this thing. I opened it up. Noted the two big fat pads on the card in the foot where a voltage / current regulator is meant to be mounted with a track between to option it out. Removed all the little three pin headers from the main board after ensuring that the labels matched where the wires went. Found at least one dry joint on the leg of 'Q3' nearest to the edge of the board. Looks like the wave solder just completely missed that leg and wasn't so crash hot on some neighbours either. Decided to make sure it had battery volts on that pad and see if I could make it play up by poking it. plugged int the lead that runs down the leg to the battery area. Plugged in the battery and then peeled myself off the roof. When I plugged the battery in, it beeped and buzzed as it turned on. Somewhere I have bumped something and everything works again. Put it all back together and everything works fine. Very happy. I'm going to run with "12-18 mths of inactivity caused some surface corrosion in a connector somewhere and pushing and pulling things fixed that up". Option 2 is that dry joint on the leg of Q3 is part of the issue. Its very close to where the power lands on the board and could still be a factor. If it plays up again I'll wip it open and touch that up and see if it helps.

There is definitely nothing fried on the main board. I did, howerver, trickle the original battery for about 24hrs at 70mA and it still only gives 2.6v. I'm thinking there's a cell reversed or something. 4 x 2100 AAA's from the local Dick Smith (think Radio Shack) a bit of solder and heat shrink and I'm back in business with nearly 3 times the battery capacity.

Again, very happy. Also again, thank you for your help. Guess I just needed to find that frame of mind that says "Its rubbish, open it, you can't make it worse".

So if anyone has a React that is playing up and out of waranty. Wip it open and check for dry joints (poorly soldered pins) around where the power plugs into the main board. You never know your luck.
Old 03-06-2010, 08:42 AM
46u

Good to hear you got it fixed. I had to replace the steering pot once in mine. Then the first 2 months I had mine I had to send it back 3 times. Even if you have one that is so called under warranty and have problems will not do you any good as the Hobby Line of Nomadio is no more.
Old 03-12-2010, 08:24 AM
motorman29

Well maybe someone can help me here since this looks like the most active if any Nomadio forums left. Here's my situation, I have a react that I've had for the past 3-4 years or so and love it, but I did want a backup incase something happened to it and end up with 6-7 wasted recievers. So I bought a used Sensor and it all works nicely, the radio has a build code of 3244, and i have the cd for the desktop software which i think it is version 2.1.2 and also downloaded the more recent which is 3. something. I am using Windows Vista on my laptop and have tried both versions and have the same problem, my computer can't detect or find the correct drivers to see the Sensor. I do remember seeing something about "don't use windows auto update", I did disable that but have not tried it since. I do have another laptop that has xp on it, should i use that? I do use my React with Vista and have no problems. Or do you think having both Sensor and React software on the same computer might be a problem? On another note, the build code on the Sensor is 3244 will the newer version desktop software update that to the beta build?

Please if you have any advice, let me know what you think.

David
Old 03-12-2010, 10:03 AM
46u

Sorry cannot help as I have the React with XP and all works well. Good luck.
Old 03-12-2010, 10:51 AM
ophirw

Hi motorman29,

I have the React & did have problems with the Vista. I had to update drives & also then I could not update the RX SW.
The only way I managed to get it all working was using a laptop with XP on it.
I had the privilege of talking to Nomadio support (before they stopped supporting us) & all of their solutions didnt work so even if they would still give support it would probably not help you [:@]

Give it a try, it shouldn't take to long to try it on your XP.
Old 03-12-2010, 11:42 AM
motorman29

I'll give that a try first, thanks, ophirw and 46u

My post was suppose to be under the sensor thread, i copied it over there.
Old 03-12-2010, 11:52 AM
UTE-RC

I have a Sensor and it will only work on my Windows XP. Can you still get the latest software download from Nomadio? I will have to check in on the website again. BTW, I would be happy to sell my Sensor with two receivers for a fair price. JLH
Old 03-12-2010, 11:59 AM
motorman29

ORIGINAL: UTE-RC

I have a Sensor and it will only work on my Windows XP. Can you still get the latest software download from Nomadio? I will have to check in on the website again. BTW, I would be happy to sell my Sensor with two receivers for a fair price. JLH

I have the latest rc desktop for the sensor, would that update the Sensor to the latest build?

and what would be the fair price......
Old 03-13-2010, 06:43 PM
UTE-RC

i purchased my Sensor used. It has worked great. I rarely use it, as I just don't play with my cars very much. The Windows XP has worked fine so I have just continued to use that. $200 seems like a fair price.
Old 03-14-2010, 05:06 PM
techpro

can anyone tell me the most voltage i can run through my nomadio react.i just bought a 7.4 volt 2 cell lipo,can i use a 6 volt regulator like the red team associated one or does it have to be a 5 volt one like ht batteries makes,thanks.
Old 03-14-2010, 05:35 PM
46u

Watch out as anything over 6 volts can fry the mother broad. From pass personal experience I will not even charge the stock or any batter while in the TX. This is one of the draw backs. Scott at Nomadio told me he does not know way they even put a charging jack on them as this has caused problems do to frying mother boards even with the TX turned off! I fired a board in mine when the charging rate got around 6.2 volts.
Old 03-14-2010, 05:42 PM
techpro

Thanks i'll try and find a 5 volt regulator.
Old 03-22-2010, 10:35 PM
Aack

I suspect that putting a regulator on your lipo will cause issues with the usb charging feature. You should probably be fairly deliberate about that as I suspect your lipo will be less than impressed with the react's inbuilt charger.
As for the regulator, several IC companies (I've looked at Linear and Maxim so far myself) make single chip 5v regulators that suit your power requirements for a couple of bucks.

Your circuit should look roughly like lipo - diode (to ensure current can only ever flow out of the battery) -> regulator -> react.
Since the react will now never charge your lipo, you might rewire the switch on the board in the foot to ensure that off really means off, and you'll no longer need to disconnect the battery when the unit is not in use.
Old 04-11-2010, 09:05 PM
carl cisneros

i currently use a 1300mah 7.4 volt Lipo pack and 6 volt regulator in my React.

it works great!!!!!

just make sure and disconnect the regulator from the battery when you finish
running your vehicle. the regulators will draw from the batteries when plugged
directly to them with out a switch between the reg. and the battery.

Also use a PROPER charger for charging this type of battery.
(and charge it out of the transmitter case as well.)

Carl
Old 04-12-2010, 07:16 AM
ophirw

I don't know if the regulator draws current or not but if you will read through this thread you will find out that the TX although off continues to draw current from the battery & will eventually drain it completely.
The TX uses a small amount off current for saving changes after shutting down or something like that.
If you install a switch between the battery & TX be sure to turn off the TX 1st & only then the installed switch. if you will turn off the installed switch 1st you will lose all the changes made in that session.
It is also important to make sure there is no connection between the battery & TX when not in use since if the battery will be drained to much it might destroy it.
Old 04-12-2010, 11:43 AM
UTE-RC

Any one interested in purchasing my Nomadio Sensor with 2 receivers? It is in excellent condition. Make me an offer: [email protected]