Notices
RC Car Radio Equipment Discuss specific topics related to RC car radios. For general or non rc car specific radio topics please see our regular radio discussion forum.

M8 radio abilities

Old 02-15-2007, 11:08 AM
CESSPOOL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default M8 radio abilities

I'm looking at an M8 radio. I heard it can monitor speed Nitro engine temp and such. Is this true? I can't even find this radio on airtronics website.

What I am being led to believe is you can only get these things with the spektrum module and the spektrum telementry system, but why go to all the trouble of converting it when I can just use the spektrum?
Old 02-15-2007, 11:55 AM
Nomadio_Sales

Default RE: M8 radio abilities

ONLY radios that have that BUILT in is Nomadio radios. Spek its an extra box thing you plug into the receiver then the extra sensors. With Nomadio you just plug in the temp sensor to the receiver.
Old 02-15-2007, 01:18 PM
IamDisaster

This type of communication is referred to as telemetry. It requires two way communication between the radio and receiver...which is only possible with the newer 2.4Ghz frequencies.

As far as I know, (someone will surely correct me if I'm wrong) only two radios support this, out of the box, today, the Spektrum DX-3 and the Nomadio React. The Nomadio is a considerably more sophisticated radio compared to the DX-3 (for example the DX-3 doesn't have exponential servo setup.)

By the way, the M8 was replaced by the M11 recently which might be why you are having a hard time finding information about it on the website.

Old 02-15-2007, 01:37 PM
Nomadio_Sales

The spek does not have built in telem it is an add on unit for both the TX and the RX side.
Old 02-15-2007, 02:44 PM
CESSPOOL

So then what does the big screen on the M8 do then? Nothing more then then the little one on the spektrum?
Old 02-15-2007, 03:51 PM
IamDisaster

ORIGINAL: CESSPOOL

So then what does the big screen on the M8 do then? Nothing more then then the little one on the spektrum?
The big screen on the M8, and the 3PK and other more sophisticated radios, display information relative to the many settings. With more, and more complicated settings, it is beneficial to have a larger screen. I'm not familiar with the "live" display on the M8, but on the 3PK it displays the throttle and steering positions, real time. When I am trying to control the car, I'm not sure how useful that is. I never have time to look at the screen when I'm racing. However, I find it helpful when playing with setup and when trying to understand how steering throw effects cornering during practice sessions.
Old 02-15-2007, 03:59 PM
Nomadio_Sales

Its just a screen for programming