Notices
RC Car Radio Equipment Discuss specific topics related to RC car radios. For general or non rc car specific radio topics please see our regular radio discussion forum.

Transistor broke off servo

Old 12-02-2007, 06:09 PM
xXxCellARatOr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transistor broke off servo

Hi, i have a savage x with a stock SF-1 servo for the throttle. Today i took the servo out and while moving it arround i heard alot of rateling inside the servo. when i took it apart, i noticed there was a large transistor that had broken off the circuit board. The servo seems to be running fine without the transitor, but im really confused as to what the heck is the point of it, if it works fine without it. thanks!
Old 12-02-2007, 06:19 PM
snowbl!nd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Transistor broke off servo

Got pics? If it was meant to be there it must have had a purpose... maybe you could get it replaced under warranty, it's hardly something you can break under normal use!
Old 12-02-2007, 06:24 PM
xXxCellARatOr

Na, im not worried about replacing it or getting it fixed. its a crapy servo anyways and as i said, the servo still seems to be working just fine. ill take a pic a little later of the transistor and post it.
Old 12-02-2007, 11:58 PM
wcjones01

ar you sure its a trans.? many electronics are packaged in similar layouts, it could be something else.
its hard to guess without seeing it but there could be two trans in parallel (odd but possible), to share the load. With one missing the other may be doing all the work.

solder it back on (the correct orientation is very important), or toss it and buy a good one!
Old 12-03-2007, 02:24 AM
xXxCellARatOr

ok, here is a pic of the transistor. i do not have Macro on my camera, so it didnt turn out too well, but it should help give an idea.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Kh17638.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	18.2 KB
ID:	817482  
Old 12-03-2007, 07:29 AM
snowbl!nd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not that it makes much of a difference considering it's no longer connected, but that doesn't appear to be a transistor. Transistors have three pins, with a flat side or small tab to indicate the Base pin.

That looks like a capacitor to me...
Old 12-03-2007, 01:01 PM
av8torjim

That's not a transistor. As noted above, a transistor has 3 wires. A transistor is essentially a solid state switch. That appears to be a capacitor. I'm amazed the servo still works, although a capacitor is sometimes used as a filter or as a source of short-term power (think very short-lived battery), so the servo might still work, although not as efficiently.
Old 12-03-2007, 03:47 PM
xXxCellARatOr

I see, thanks for clearing things up. I was amased also amased that the servo was still working. My brakes still seem to be just as good and the response is also unchanged. so its quite strange as to why the capacitor would be needed.
Old 12-03-2007, 04:42 PM
SManMTB

A capacitor is used to filter and/or stabilize a voltage for example. In that case the servo could work almost as before.
Old 12-04-2007, 01:15 AM
wcjones01

if it was used to stabilize the incoming power, it being out of the system would interrupt the supply. Im sure it is ther as a filter. The servo might work correctly but im sure that on some level it's abilities are reduced. It may be effected by interferance more easily.
Old 12-04-2007, 02:22 AM
calvino

ORIGINAL: xXxCellARatOr

ok, here is a pic of the transistor. i do not have Macro on my camera, so it didnt turn out too well, but it should help give an idea.
that is a capacator, it was there to filter the voltage, just incase there was like a power spike, things like that[8D]
Old 12-04-2007, 02:28 AM
xXxCellARatOr

i see, things are alot more clear now. thanks for all your input.