Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car Radio Equipment
Reload this Page >

Why should I upgrade my radio system?

Notices
RC Car Radio Equipment Discuss specific topics related to RC car radios. For general or non rc car specific radio topics please see our regular radio discussion forum.

Why should I upgrade my radio system?

Old 01-25-2008, 08:55 PM
Soothsayerman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why should I upgrade my radio system?

I recently got a Revo and love it and was wondering what advantages or improvements I would get from upgrading my radio system. I really don't have any complaints from the stock one but having zero experience with higher end systems don't really know what I might be missing out on and there's the rub; am I missing out on something? if so, what?

I do know that at some point I want to upgrade my steering servo to a digital one but want to leave the others analog if possible. I don't race yet or anything so I don't really want to spend $300.00 on a radio upgrade at this point.

What would be a good basic system to upgrade to and what improvement would i see.

Kinda of a long question, but any input would be appreciated. Thanks

Old 01-26-2008, 12:13 AM
Dale Gribble
My Feedback: (4)

Default RE: Why should I upgrade my radio system?

I just started another thread about where really good FM radio sets are selling for VERY good prices. This includes Airtronics M8s, JR XS3, XSi, Hitec Agressor and others. Once you go to a digital radio, you won't go back. Especially since you have a Traxxas and presumably a TQ3 radio.

Granted, the TQ3 is a great purpose built radio set. Here is what you get with a digital radio:

Big one, end point adjustment. You can dial your servos end to end points. For example, your TQ3 cannot set end points. If you have ever installed an aftermarket servo you may have found that the throttle servo throws WAY to far to the point the linkage binds (My Maxx did that). You may also find that you don't get as much travel as you would like. This can all be corrected with end point adjusting. It is a really good feature. It's good for the truck, good for the servos since pushing them to their ends is very hard on them, and it's good for the driver too.

You get a choice of linear or exponential throttle control. This is a biggie. You will notice on some cars that just 1/4 travel of the radios throttle will fully open the carb which is WOT. This results in poor off the line handling, wheelies. Setting up the throttle, you can ease the throttle travel throughout the radios throttle travel, so 80% throttle means 80% throttle on the truck.

Dual rate steering, battery voltage monitoring, less glitching if you go to a good FM or specturm setup.

Multiple model controls. You can put multiple receivers in multiple cars and have them all preprogrammed into the radio (big one!)

Synthesized or Spectrum. You don't have to mess with crystals. If you start getting interference you can just change the channel. If you get interference right now, you have to change the crystals.

No crystals.

The feel and balance of say an XS3 or M8 is superior to a TQ3. They feel heavier, better balanced and more solid.

There is more, but that are some big ones.
Old 01-26-2008, 12:21 AM
Soothsayerman

Oh wow your answer is exactly the type of thing i was looking for. Now I just have to decide what to get... I can't spend $300 and have to upgrade all my servos as well. [sm=spinnyeyes.gif]
Old 01-26-2008, 12:41 AM
Soothsayerman

Hmmm looks like I can use the Futaba 3PM 2.4Ghz with the transmitter and receiver and not touch my servos or anything until I'm ready to upgrade them if i want.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXPZT7&P=ML

and its only 190.00

I think I might try that.
Old 01-26-2008, 08:46 AM
Dale Gribble
My Feedback: (4)

That is a great idea and the price is good too! Don't forget Tower has a $20 off coupon if you spend $149 or more until 1/31. That gets you your radio for $170!

From Tower-

SALE ENDS THURSDAY! Save $20.00 off Your $149 Order!
Order NOW and save $20.00! Place at least a $149 order through January 31st and we'll take $20.00 off the total! All you have to do to claim your savings is click on ad number 011EW and it will be placed in your shopping cart. This special offer is not retroactive. Please, only one promotional ad number per order.
Old 01-26-2008, 11:01 PM
Coadster67

I just got the 3pm and its awesome, like dale said, the EPA and expo are awesome features. i love the 2.4ghz, WAY better than my stock am... You wont be dissapointed