Notices
RC Car Radio Equipment Discuss specific topics related to RC car radios. For general or non rc car specific radio topics please see our regular radio discussion forum.

spektrum radio question

Old 03-05-2008, 12:19 AM
gladcow

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default spektrum radio question

I have a question for those who have a spektrum radio. I noticed that it comes with analogue servos and nowhere in the manual (that i could find) does it say anything about a setting when using digital servos. i know that the futaba 3pm has that hrs setting to only be used with digital servos. does the spektrum radio always use that ppm mode? sorry im unfamiliar with a lot of these terms and acronyms. basically what I'm asking is if I replace one of my servos with a digital one will i need to change a setting to avoid problems?
Old 03-05-2008, 06:05 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: spektrum radio question

When using digital servos, HRS is not 'required'. It's the other way around. When using HRS, digital servos are required. In PPM/PCM mode, you can mix and match digital and analog to your hearts content. It is not surprising that there is no setting on the radio specific to digital servos. There is no need for such a thing.
Old 03-05-2008, 09:45 AM
gladcow

Foxy,
Thanks for clearing that up for me. but it leaves me with one last question. would you happen to know if the spektrum radio has an hrs mode to switch to assuming i have all digital servos? from what i understand hrs mode is superior to ppm/pcm which is why im asking. but ive only heard the term in reference to futaba radios so im wonering if that is a futaba only feature.

Thanks again, Mike
Old 03-05-2008, 09:58 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I 'think' it is a futaba exclusive feature. There is a spektrum pro module with HRS, but I 'believe', it's for use only with the futaba radios that can take that module (3pk and 3pks, I use the module myself in my 3pk). I'm prepared to be wrong on that, but that's my understanding.

In any case, HRS does not make a noticeable difference. I've said this before, and I'll say it again; I never heard anyone saying in 1985 'God I wish my radio was faster'. All this hype about response times is utterly worthless in my opinion. Personally, even when racing, I cannot tell the difference between PPM FM and Spektrum Pro HRS, and I have used both extensively. I never felt my radio was slowing my reactions on the track, ever. Hope that helps.
Old 03-05-2008, 12:49 PM
monster72

hi if you have the new spektrum dxr hand set you can set it for digital servo or analog
Old 03-05-2008, 02:20 PM
gladcow

yea sorry i didnt specify, i have a dx2.0. either way thanks for your input foxy, makes me feel more confident with my radio. I was just mainly concerned with accidently screwing up some servos by accidently having it on the wrong setting.