Notices
RC Car Radio Equipment Discuss specific topics related to RC car radios. For general or non rc car specific radio topics please see our regular radio discussion forum.

Bluebird servos

Old 03-05-2008, 11:06 AM
dirthead

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bluebird servos

Does anyone or has anyone used bluebird servos in 1/8 offroad applications? I find them very reasonably priced, and the specs look really good. 6v. 195 oz/in .017sec. How would they compare to the likes of Airtronics, hitec, etc? I can get 5 of these bluebirds for about 120.00 shipped. The price of one high-end Airtronics servo.
I seem to go through alot more servos than all my freinds, so I don't want to spend a fortune on them.
Old 03-05-2008, 11:20 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Bluebird servos

If you go through other servos fast, don't even think about bluebird. They are unreliable and brittle. There are some here who will no doubt tell you that they have no problems with them, but I heard a lot of horror stories, some from people I know personally, about cases exploding, and even PCBs catching fire (that was only in one case, but it gives you an idea). The specs are good, the price is better, but the quality reflects that.

On the other hand, their warranty service is very good, no questions asked. A friend of mine had 2 of them and when the case broke on one, he contacted them. They sent him 2 new heavy duty cases free of charge without even asking where he bought them. That means one of two things... Either they know their product is rubbish and that the cases needed to be replaced anyway, OR, they are just a nice company to deal with. I believe it's a bit of both. I could only recommend them to someone who is very easy on their car.

I can't help but come back to the oldest adage in the book. You get what you pay for. ESPECIALLY in this hobby. There are no bargains (except the Thunder Tiger ST1 Truggy, now THAT's a bargain. lol ).
Old 03-05-2008, 11:51 AM
dirthead

Thunder Tiger rules Baby!!!

Thanks for the heads up on the servos too
Old 03-05-2008, 11:56 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

In many ways they do. They're the Microsoft of RC, in so much as anyone is. Speaking of TTR, my honest advice is to spend good money on an ACE/Associated/TTR (whichever brand you find the cheapest, they're all the same) DS1015 for the steering, and put something cheaper on the throttle. I use an ACE/TTR DS1015 on the brakes of a 28lb 1/5th scale monster truck, fantastic servos, expensive, but worth it. Always remember your servo is your final connection between you and the direction your car is going.
Old 03-05-2008, 12:20 PM
dirthead

I was actually checking that very servo out last night on Thunder tiger 4 u website, and they have very reasonable prices. I could get a new body for the ST-1, piston and sleeve for my .28, and 1015 sevo all for 159.97, that's not bad at all.

Too bad TTR doesn't have a bigger following, I just hope that the Associated name doesn't overrun them, would be a shame.
I mean what does TTR have to do to convince people that they're the best value, when you figure in, price, quality, durability, performance, etc, they're really hard to beat. I guess the biggest problem is the service, and availlability of parts. Not many places carry the TTR line-up, and our LHS had alot of problems getting parts within a reasonable time period, I'm talking months.

All good things come to those who wait, or they just finish second, lol
Old 03-21-2008, 09:57 PM
dirthead

Hey check out my thread on the RC general discussions page called TTR buggies truggies and monsters oh my!
Old 03-23-2008, 05:16 PM
trarena

ORIGINAL: dirthead

Does anyone or has anyone used bluebird servos in 1/8 offroad applications? I find them very reasonably priced, and the specs look really good. 6v. 195 oz/in .017sec. How would they compare to the likes of Airtronics, hitec, etc? I can get 5 of these bluebirds for about 120.00 shipped. The price of one high-end Airtronics servo.
I seem to go through alot more servos than all my freinds, so I don't want to spend a fortune on them.
IMHO you can't go past ACE1015 and ACE1313 servos with a Ballistic Batteries 2700mAh set up - it is hands down the best power, speed, reliability and value for money package on the market for 1/8 buggy and truggy applicatons - aka "the Thinking Man's choice" [sm=49_49.gif]
Old 03-24-2008, 03:46 PM
j_blaze

i've had 3, 2 620's and 1 690mg. the 620 went first, left receiver on with failsafe, then the 690 went for no reason between runs. the 2nd 620 is still kicking in a friends 777, so go figure. the 620's are faster than the 690's, don't look at the specs. if you are on a budget i'd get the 620mg and remember to turn off the reciever when done. good luck. or better yet get some 1313 or 1015 servos and enjoy.