Notices
RC Car Radio Equipment Discuss specific topics related to RC car radios. For general or non rc car specific radio topics please see our regular radio discussion forum.

spektrum SR3000 voltage question

Old 03-08-2008, 10:50 AM
joey79

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default spektrum SR3000 voltage question

What is the maximum voltage the SR3000 rx can run on? Would it be possible to power the receiver with one battery pack, and servos with another?
Old 03-08-2008, 01:23 PM
snowbl!nd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: spektrum SR3000 voltage question

Most recievers are rated at 6V. You wouldn't see any benefit from running the reciever on one battery pack and the servos on another as the current draw from the reciever is minimal.
Old 03-09-2008, 12:06 AM
joey79

I was more concerned with the current draw from my HS-5955TG. I think it may be robbing some power from my rx.
Old 03-09-2008, 06:00 AM
splcrazy

the voltage always regulates at 6volt , what i think your trying to say is whats the maximum amount of milliamps you can pump ito this reciever with a 6volt batt for example. 6volt 5300 mah
Old 03-11-2008, 06:18 PM
joey79

I'm asking, if I plug a 2 cell lipo (8.4v) into this rx, will the rx handle it?

Also, would it be possible to power the servos from one 6v cell, and the rx from another 6v cell?
Old 03-11-2008, 09:47 PM
micronn

It will handle a 2 cel lipo without any problems. The voltage range for the SR3000 is 3.2v- 9.6V. The real limitations will be the servos. Some servos are capable of operating at higher voltages while others are not. Keep in mind the RX does not have a voltage regulator built in for servos so voltage out will be very close to voltage in.
Old 03-11-2008, 10:46 PM
Evader ---> MGT

If it has no voltage regulator, your servos will take a dump. Happened to a guy in the MT forums with a 7.2v stick pack (coulda been the AMPs, or the voltage).

Anyways, that lipo will reduce weight and will last a long time, so I'd recommend getting this little device.

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...oducts_id/4787

Worth every penny as you will know you will be safe!

Also, you will have a consistant 6v going to your servos, not a draining 6v, then 5.9, 2 minutes later 5.8 and so on and so forth...
Old 03-12-2008, 02:29 AM
micronn

Keep in mind that with Lithium Ions and with Lithium Polymers, you do not want to drop your Lipo's below 3 volts per cell, so you should always be around 6 volts and up. I always notice a more significant performance drop when voltage is around 3 or a little below per cell.

If you're running an electric motor, most likely you would have your battery plugged into your speed controller which will have a BEC built in and that will already have the voltage regulator built in. If you're running Nitro, you have the battery connected directly into the RX with out a ESC because you're not running an electric motor, and that voltage into the RX will be what your servos will see.

Keep in mind that even though you are running 8.4v at full charge, under load, the voltage will be less. From my personal experiences, a servo that's rated with an operational range of up to 6 volts will be able to handle slightly higher voltage (i.e. 8.4 volts). A lot of devices in general have a wide enough tolerance to handle a reasonable range of voltage.

If you have any concerns as to the no load voltage output from the SR3000, put a voltage multimeter accross the servo power output to verify what's coming out under no load.

I do not doubt the person who had a servo go bad in the MT forum did have a servo go bad, but if it was a typical servo thats rated 4.8-6v in good condition, I would believe there were other additional issues that contributed to its failure. Higher voltage will put more strain on it regardless. 6v will create more heat than 4.8v. 8.4v will create more heat than 6v.

I personally have several nitro vehicles on 2 cell lipo and most of my friends also run on 2 cell lipo's and have not had any negative experiences. I prefer the higher voltage to give me a quicker response and more torque. But as Evader said about a voltage regulator "worth every penny as you will know you will be safe" . I don't think you will go wrong either way.