Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car Radio Equipment
Reload this Page >

How does the receiver communicate with the ESC and servo?

Notices
RC Car Radio Equipment Discuss specific topics related to RC car radios. For general or non rc car specific radio topics please see our regular radio discussion forum.

How does the receiver communicate with the ESC and servo?

Old 03-15-2008, 11:11 PM
potatonet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How does the receiver communicate with the ESC and servo?

ok so simple question but I would really like to know.

How does the receiver send signals to the esc or the servo?

I know the red and black are + and - @ 5-6V

I know it comes in milliseconds to determine position, and that the esc reads the ms for the throttle voltage.

but is the white wire sending voltage signals or amperage signals or resistance signals?

also what is the normal operating voltage received by the motor inside of most normal sized servos?

can I replace the motor inside of a servo to a stronger one?
Old 03-16-2008, 10:26 AM
snowbl!nd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: How does the receiver communicate with the ESC and servo?

The following is wrom wikipedia.

RC servos are comprised of a DC motor mechanically linked to a potentiometer. Pulse-width modulation (PWM) signals sent to the servo are translated into position commands by electronics inside the servo. When the servo is commanded to rotate, the DC motor is powered until the potentiometer reaches the value corresponding to the commanded position.

Due to their affordability, reliability, and simplicity of control by microprocessors, RC servos are often used in small-scale robotics applications.

The servo is controlled by three wires: ground (black/orange), power (red) and control (brown/other colour). This wiring sequence is not true for all servos, for example the S03NXF Std. Servo is wired as brown(negative), red (positive) and orange (signal). The servo will move based on the pulses sent over the control wire, which set the angle of the servo horn. The servo expects a pulse every 20 ms in order to gain correct information about the angle. The width of the servo pulse dictates the range of the servo's angular motion.

A servo pulse of 1.5 ms width will set the servo to its "neutral" position, or 90°. For example a servo pulse of 1.25 ms could set the servo to 0° and a pulse of 1.75 ms could set the servo to 180°. The physical limits and timings of the servo hardware varies between brands and models, but a general servo's angular motion will travel somewhere in the range of 180° - 210° and the neutral position is almost always at 1.5ms.

Generally speaking you replace the entire servo it you're looking for more torque and/or rotation speed. I'm sure it would be possible to switch out a motor to a more powerful one but then you're looking at upgrading the gears as well to cope with the extra power.