Community
Search
Notices
RC Car Radio Equipment Discuss specific topics related to RC car radios. For general or non rc car specific radio topics please see our regular radio discussion forum.

Hitec hs5985mg questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 02:02 PM
soccerlaw

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hitec hs5985mg questions

Just installed my hitech hs5985mg servo as the steering servo on my truggy. Two quick questions:

1.) with endpoints set up equally, it seems to have a wider turning radius when turning clockwise than when it is turning anti-clockwise. I can't believe this is normal so any thoughts on what this could be?

2.) how much buzzing is normal? It seems to buzz a lot after turning and keeps buzzing until I make a slight turn or adjust the trim by 1pt.

Sorry for the beginner questions, but just not used to digital servos. Thanks,
Old 03-17-2008, 02:57 PM
snowbl!nd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Hitec hs5985mg questions

ORIGINAL: soccerlaw

Just installed my hitech hs5985mg servo as the steering servo on my truggy. Two quick questions:

1.) with endpoints set up equally, it seems to have a wider turning radius when turning clockwise than when it is turning anti-clockwise. I can't believe this is normal so any thoughts on what this could be?
You're correct, this isn't normal. Disconnect the steering linkage and check the servo horn rotates the same amount in either direction - it may be that you need to reposition the horn on the spindle so that it more accurately centred. Re-attach the steering linkage and check the throw in either direction, using the trim and endpoint adjustment you should be able to achieve the same turning circle in either direction. If this doesn't work you may need to increase the distance from the centre of the spindle to the attachment on the servo horn - either by using a different hole or buying a larger horn.

2.) how much buzzing is normal? It seems to buzz a lot after turning and keeps buzzing until I make a slight turn or adjust the trim by 1pt.
Digitial servos are much louder than their analogue counterparts, i wouldn't worry about it. My Ace DS-1013 servo makes a lot of noise but it's still working as well as the day i got it.
Old 03-17-2008, 10:15 PM
soccerlaw

Great - thanks for the really helpful reply!
Old 03-17-2008, 11:58 PM
chedster

take your turnbuckles off and make sure they are the same length also.
Old 03-18-2008, 12:17 AM
Evader ---> MGT

Yes, if you trim your steering on the radio at all, the servo will turn one way more than the other mostly because it's already turned one way to compensate for the trim.
Old 03-18-2008, 09:33 AM
soccerlaw

ORIGINAL: Evader ---> MGT

Yes, if you trim your steering on the radio at all, the servo will turn one way more than the other mostly because it's already turned one way to compensate for the trim.
Come to think of it... that's exactly what it is! I'm an idiot!! When I put the servo horn on I could only get it angled to the right or left...the servo teeth didn't match up with the horn teeth straight so I adjusted the trim to compensate. So, how do I solve this?
Old 03-18-2008, 06:55 PM
Evader ---> MGT

Depending on the car, the linkage from the servo to the steering assembly can be replaced with a turnbuckle/tierod. Go to your LHS with the connecting rod and put it up against some really small touring car tierods and find one that will replace the connecting rod. But remember to get the right ends for the tierod.

Should look something like the one tierod on the right:

Good luck!