Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car Radio Equipment
Reload this Page >

Spectrum DX 3.0 DSM vs. Futaba FAAST

Notices
RC Car Radio Equipment Discuss specific topics related to RC car radios. For general or non rc car specific radio topics please see our regular radio discussion forum.

Spectrum DX 3.0 DSM vs. Futaba FAAST

Old 03-31-2008, 02:33 PM
ShoestringRacer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spectrum DX 3.0 DSM vs. Futaba FAAST

I cant decide between the two. I like the Spectrum because it comes with two receivers. But my question is, is the Futaba faster with signal from the transmitter to the receiver? If so, is it noticeable? Im just out bashing but I'd like to move up to a non RTR and FM radios that I have.

Also, what happens with the Spectrum if say you get two of them. You would have two transmitters and four receivers. So if you had 4 cars would you be able to use either transmitter with all four or do you have two receivers permanently linked up to the same transmitter. Just wondering how I want to arrange things being I have a several cars and what I have in options for running different combinations of them together. having two transmitters would beat 5 or 6 RTR radios to deal with, but I dont want to be restricted to not haviong being able to run some cars together. Know what i mean? If I bough additional receivers what determines what transmitter they work with??

thanks for any advice.
Old 03-31-2008, 02:52 PM
misasi

Default RE: Spectrum DX 3.0 DSM vs. Futaba FAAST

You would use one transmitter and one receiver per car. For bashing either radio will work and no i dont think you would see a difference.
Old 03-31-2008, 03:00 PM
UG0TB4NN3D
My Feedback: (1)

I think the DX3.0 has three model memory, so you'd be able to use one transmitter for 3 receivers.
Old 03-31-2008, 03:19 PM
systemlord

If you ever plan on using any of the Venom Smart Temp/Fail Safe from Venom, they will not work with a Spectrum radio. I would go for the Futaba 3PM 2.4GHz Fasst radio system.
Old 04-01-2008, 04:02 PM
Shark413

I have used both systems and they are both very good. I had an Airtronics M11 with a Spektrum module, a JR R-1 and a DX3.0 (all Spektrum). I currently own a Futaba 3PK with FASST. The Futaba is supposed to be faster, but unless you are a top level racer you probably won't be able to notice the differnce. For bashing either system would work. You mainly want to move to 2.4 band to avoid radio channel interference and not have to worry about frequency channels (crystals). This is where the two systems differ, Spektrum on startup scans the availbale channels and locks on to one that if free, and uses this channel the entire time. The FASST system constantly scans all the channels and picks the best one, changing all the time. The reasoning is if you lock onto one channel (Spektrum) and it starts to get interference your stuck on that channel. But in my experince I never had any problems with my Spektrum (or my FASST system).
Old 04-03-2008, 07:04 PM
ShoestringRacer

Thanks for that information as I was under the impression the Spectrum constantly jumped around like the Futaba. So if the Spectrum locks on one freq, what happens if someone else then starts using that? Will the Spectrum failsafe kick in and you have to shut down and then turn it back on to change freq, or will it jump to find a new one?

The Spectrum is a better financial deal with two Rx so I guess I'm leaning to that one but I like the idea of constant channel hopping on the Futaba.

Do you know how many model memory the Spectrum 3.0 has?
Old 04-03-2008, 08:00 PM
ShoestringRacer

Ok I answered my question, the Spectrum 3.0 has a 4 model memory.

But one thing Im still not clear. Lets say you have 4 cars, A, B, C, D. (original, eh?) and 2 transmitters and 4 Rx, one in each car. I imagine you wouldnt be able to link all four Rx to both transmitters, just one or the other. So if you wanted all the possibilities of runing whaterever car with the other you couldnt do it. You would have to link up say A and B with one, then C and D with the other Tx but you wouldnt be able to run car A and B at the same time. Know what I mean? (that would be a good question on a scholastic test: if cars A and C are linked to Tx number 1, and cars B and D only run on odd days of the week...)

I really want to be able to run any combination of several cars using only 2 Tx but I dont think its possible.
Old 04-03-2008, 08:39 PM
ShoestringRacer

I just read the manual for the 3.0 online. Apparently the built in fail safe is only for a loss of signal, and not low Rx battery voltage like regular failsafes. that was a main reason I wanted it was to have a voltage failsafe and eliminate a plug in that I barely have room for anyway because thats how I know the battery is low on the Rx on most of my nitros. And you cant run a regular plug in failsafe on the Spectrums apparently.
Old 04-14-2008, 10:11 AM
xjqkz

I''ve a ofna micro failsafe and a spektrum dx3.0 both of them work exactly the same way. I don''t think any failsafe can pull the servo back to zero throttle once the battery dies or gets dis/connected unless if the failsafe has its own 6v battery.

Oh and btw you can run all four cars against eachother....dx3.0 has 4 car memory so you program both tx''s for all 4 cars.
Old 04-14-2008, 06:07 PM
misasi

the fasst system has the low voltage failsafe. i know this because i ran into this problem the other day. I''m running the venom volt watch to monitor my voltage. I filled up my tank and checked the voltage and it was about in the middle so i thought it was safe to run my car. About 10 min later the failsafe on the radio kicked in and i couldn''t figure out why. when i pulled off the body the volt watch was on the danger bar.... Therefore it has the low voltage failsafe.

As far as binding goes. Each TX has a special code it broadcasts. So when you bind a RX it stores that code in memory and can only work with that one TX. If you want to use another TX with the same RX you have to unbind the one and bind the other. So you cant have 2 TX''s control 1 RX.