Notices
RC Car Radio Equipment Discuss specific topics related to RC car radios. For general or non rc car specific radio topics please see our regular radio discussion forum.

Futaba 4PK quick question

Old 04-04-2008, 10:12 AM
Osirisf16

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Futaba 4PK quick question

I have heard many good words about it, but wanted to be sure from you too. And a small question. Do ALL features of the 3PKS are IN the 4PK right now? If yes, then i'm on it
Old 04-04-2008, 10:57 AM
Jatohulk

Default RE: Futaba 4PK quick question

Here you go match up the feature..

4PK Specifics:

* "New Driver", "Race-Ready", "Expert" and "Big Car" menus that add functions based on driving skill level and experience
* Throttle Mode Select, for selecting acceleration/brake servo neutral points between 70/30 for nitro or 50/50 for electrics
* Redesigned keypad with large center jog button
* Vibrating alert system
* "Direct Select" single-button access to eight pre-assigned functions
* Navigation Lap Timer that sounds when target lap time is exceeded
* Servo Display Screen shows set-ups/mixes for individual servos (Expert Menu)
* Throttle programming options, including 5-point curve, expo and VTR

4PK System Overview:

* Ergonomic design for balance, feel, weight and adjustability
* 40-model memory
* 10-character model naming
* 4th channel for adjusting brake bias
* 2048 resolution for the ultimate in precision control
* 2 programmable mixes
* Assignable buttons and dials
* Digital trims and dials
* Advanced Positioning Adapter (APA)
* Adjustable trigger location
* Backlit 128 x 64 white LCD screen with adjustable contrast
* Subtrims, servo reversing and EPA on all channels
* Throttle Variable Trace Rate (VTR)
* Fail-safe and battery fail-safe (voltage selectable)
* Direct Servo Control (DSC)
* Exponential & adjustable servo speed (Steering/Throttle)
* Up/Down, lap & systems timers
* 100-lap memory
* Electronic & mechanical ATL (Adjustable Throttle-Low side only)
* Traction control/Acceleration rate
* ABS braking system
* Boat programming
* Idle-up
* Tx NiMH and Futaba charger

Here is the 3pk feature

Now you can get all of the advantages of 2.4GHz, with all-in-one convenience!

* The 3PK radio is designed for the top-level racer, with driver-friendly features such as a multi-position wheel, multiple menus, Direct Select for quick access, and much more.
* Spread spectrum technology continues on the cutting edge of radio control, with Continuous Channel Shiftingâ„¢, Pre-Visionâ„¢ scanning, Dual Antenna Diversityâ„¢ and Easy Linkâ„¢ security among its many advantages.
* Large, backlit LCD screen with adjustable contrast and 128 x 64 resolution.
* "Direct Select" — single-button access to 8 pre-assigned functions
* Choice of "New Driver", "Race-Ready", "Big" or "Expert" menus that offer easier programming for sport drivers and more advanced programming levels for competitors
* Adjuster feature that restores compromised settings to Factory Default
* Assignable switch and dial functions
* Two programmable mixes for complex custom setups
* Digital trims and dials with automatic electronic memory
* Subtrims, servo reversing and EPA on all channels
* Fail-safe and battery fail-safe
* Easy conversion to right- or left-hand use
* Double dual rates, exponential and adjustable servo speed
* Up/Down, lap and system timers
* Direct Servo Control (DSC)*
* All this, in a system that weighs only 29 ounces!

Old 04-04-2008, 11:05 AM
Osirisf16

Sorry to tell you that but i have that information already. I just want to know if ALL the features of the 3PKS are in the 4PK. Need an experienced guy here I semi-think that is true but i want to be 100% positive.
Old 04-04-2008, 02:37 PM
Longhair

The one thing I don't like about the 4PK over the 3PKS is there is no FASST - just built on 2.4GHz.

The 3PKS is backwards compatible with AM & FM as long as you get the right module for it.
Old 04-04-2008, 02:39 PM
Osirisf16

Yeah, i know what you mean but whatever. 2.4 Ghz radios is the future of RC.
Old 04-04-2008, 04:30 PM
systemlord

ORIGINAL: Longhair

The one thing I don't like about the 4PK over the 3PKS is there is no FASST - just built on 2.4GHz.

The 3PKS is backwards compatible with AM & FM as long as you get the right module for it.
2.4GHz might be the future, but I'm glad that I just bought the 3PKS FASST 2.4GHz radio system. Having just 2.4GHz technology by itself is ok, but having the FASST technology incorporated with the 2.4GHz is even better. My new 3PKS should be at my door within the hour, can't wait! $499.99 for the 4PK is $100 extra on top of the $399.99 dollar 3PKS with has the FASST technology, thats gotta be a plus.
Old 04-04-2008, 04:31 PM
Jatohulk

ORIGINAL: systemlord

2.4GHz might be the future, but I'm glad that I just bought the 3PKS FASST 2.4GHz radio system. Having just 2.4GHz technology by itself is ok, but having the FASST technology incorporated with the 2.4GHz is even better. My new 3PKS should be at my door within the hour, can't wait!

Isn't 2.4GHz advance over FASST?? Whats the benefits of having both FASST and 2.4GHz??
Old 04-04-2008, 04:34 PM
systemlord

ORIGINAL: Jatohulk

ORIGINAL: systemlord

2.4GHz might be the future, but I'm glad that I just bought the 3PKS FASST 2.4GHz radio system. Having just 2.4GHz technology by itself is ok, but having the FASST technology incorporated with the 2.4GHz is even better. My new 3PKS should be at my door within the hour, can't wait!

Isn't 2.4GHz advance over FASST?? Whats the benefits of having both FASST and 2.4GHz??
No its not, FASST constantly monitors the 2.4GHz connection bewteen the transmitter and the receivver.

More on FASST >> For some stupid reason the link is protected and will not allow the link to work! Go to Google and type, "Futaba's FASST technology" without the """"
Old 04-04-2008, 04:50 PM
Longhair

I didn't mean to use the word "FASST" in my previous post.

Since the 3PKS uses a "Module/Receiver Set" it means that when the next step beyond 2.4GHz is taken, a new Module/Receiver will be needed instead of a new radio - that is if it is updated.
Old 04-04-2008, 05:17 PM
systemlord

I didn't mean to use the word "FASST" in my previous post.

Since the 3PKS uses a "Module/Receiver Set" it means that when the next step beyond 2.4GHz is taken, a new Module/Receiver will be needed instead of a new radio - that is if it is updated.
My 3PKS has the FAST 2.4 GHz already built-in, heres a cool video about Futaba's FASST 2.4GHz Spread Spectrum system and how it works.

http://2.4gigahertz.com/
Old 04-06-2008, 10:45 AM
Osirisf16

I don't know man. The 4PK is good for me. The money is no trouble. I'm saving for the best radio and that i will do anyway (see sig). I know that the 3PKS has the extra 2.4 module PLUS THAT YOU CAN USE FM ANYTIME, JUST TAKE OUT THE 2.4 MODULE, right?
Old 04-06-2008, 04:50 PM
systemlord

ORIGINAL: Osirisf16

I don't know man. The 4PK is good for me. The money is no trouble. I'm saving for the best radio and that i will do anyway (see sig). I know that the 3PKS has the extra 2.4 module PLUS THAT YOU CAN USE FM ANYTIME, JUST TAKE OUT THE 2.4 MODULE, right?
Yes you can run a synthesized or crystal system on the 3PKS, but on my 3PKS is listed as 3PK on the bottom of the grip with no S. I believe that the radio that I/we have is the same old 3PK just with the FASST 2.4GHz module & R603FS receiver instead of the synthesized or crystal system. If you go to Tower Hobbies you'll see the 2.4GHz FASST module & receiver for sale, this must mean that any 3PK can use the new 2.4GHz system.

Old 04-19-2008, 12:31 PM
Mouton

If you are looking for "the best" there is why not also consider Sanwa M11R 2.4 and KO Propo's top offering. Both of these are common among the top racers in the world. Nomadio Sensor is also right up there feature wise.

Or have you done the sensible (and mature) thing and realised that all these transmitters have everything you "need" and opted for a specific brand only because you like the ergonomics (grip and meny system)? The latter was why I went for the transmitter I use today (Futaba 3PK).
Old 04-27-2008, 09:32 PM
SManMTB

Just to get things straight here. The Futaba 4PK uses the same 2.4GHz FAAST system as the 3PK. You can use the Rx for the 3PK with the 4PK.