Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car Radio Equipment
Reload this Page >

PLEASE HELP. Futaba 3PM 2.4GHz Trans/reciever

Notices
RC Car Radio Equipment Discuss specific topics related to RC car radios. For general or non rc car specific radio topics please see our regular radio discussion forum.

PLEASE HELP. Futaba 3PM 2.4GHz Trans/reciever

Old 04-19-2008, 11:52 AM
kman43

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PLEASE HELP. Futaba 3PM 2.4GHz Trans/reciever

I am having a really tuff time with this. I was all excited about my new spectrum Futaba 2.4GHz transmitter and reciever. I own a Tamiya TNX 5.2R. I installed the reciever and the servos properly and set up the built in failsafe and turned it on and my throttle servo would go straight to failsafe. I looked over everything a million times couldn't figure it out so I called Futaba tech support and the first thing he asked me was what type of batteries am I using. I told him 4 Duracell AA 1.5v batteries. He said that's your problem, it needs 6v Nicd. OK, so I drive 45min to the hobby shop and purchase a charger, volt watch (which I plugged into the 3rd channal on the reciever) and a Reedy 1600 series 6 volt Ni-MH battery. The guy at the store said it shouldn't matter if it Nicd or Ni-MH, it just has to be 6 volt. The charger is cheap but should be fine, just take forever to charge. Its a Input=120VAC 60Hz 1.5w and output=6VDC 100mA. So the guy in the store said it will take about 15-16 hours to fully charge. OK, so the next day with my fully charged battery, I plug everything in and works great, failsafe didn't come on, I was happy until smoke started pouring out of my steering servo. Its dead now. Reciever seems to be fine but before I plug in another servo what the heck. Why, why. Please help. Thanks Ken I using stock Tamiya servos.
Old 04-19-2008, 03:54 PM
systemlord

Default RE: PLEASE HELP. Futaba 3PM 2.4GHz Trans/reciever

ORIGINAL: kman43

I am having a really tuff time with this. I was all excited about my new spectrum Futaba 2.4GHz transmitter and reciever. I own a Tamiya TNX 5.2R. I installed the reciever and the servos properly and set up the built in failsafe and turned it on and my throttle servo would go straight to failsafe. I looked over everything a million times couldn't figure it out so I called Futaba tech support and the first thing he asked me was what type of batteries am I using. I told him 4 Duracell AA 1.5v batteries. He said that's your problem, it needs 6v Nicd. OK, so I drive 45min to the hobby shop and purchase a charger, volt watch (which I plugged into the 3rd channal on the reciever) and a Reedy 1600 series 6 volt Ni-MH battery. The guy at the store said it shouldn't matter if it Nicd or Ni-MH, it just has to be 6 volt. The charger is cheap but should be fine, just take forever to charge. Its a Input=120VAC 60Hz 1.5w and output=6VDC 100mA. So the guy in the store said it will take about 15-16 hours to fully charge. OK, so the next day with my fully charged battery, I plug everything in and works great, failsafe didn't come on, I was happy until smoke started pouring out of my steering servo. Its dead now. Reciever seems to be fine but before I plug in another servo what the heck. Why, why. Please help. Thanks Ken I using stock Tamiya servos.
Well it seems like that dead servo was causing your whole problem, when most servos die they draw lots of current from the battery. I had my Traxxas throttle/braking servo die on me, but not before getting very hot to the touch draining my battery as well. Get a new servo.
Old 04-19-2008, 05:47 PM
kman43

Ok. I have a spare servo of the same kind (stock Tamiya brand). I will try it. My throttle servo seems fine so far so maybe it was just the servo. Hopefully it has nothing to do with the Nickel-metal hydride battery instead of using a Nicad battery like the instruction booklet says to use. It is 6v. Thanks for the reply.
Old 04-20-2008, 12:44 AM
systemlord

Ok. I have a spare servo of the same kind (stock Tamiya brand). I will try it. My throttle servo seems fine so far so maybe it was just the servo. Hopefully it has nothing to do with the Nickel-metal hydride battery instead of using a Nicad battery like the instruction booklet says to use. It is 6v. Thanks for the reply.
The only differences between Nicad and Nickel-metal hydride batteries are that they use different materials to get 6 volts. As long as you have 6v it don't matter what type of battery you use, I know no one who uses Nicad batteries anymore. Almost all modelers use the NiMH batteries, or lithium. Four Duracell AA 1.5v batteries lack amp draw, this is where NiMH has the advantage.
Old 04-20-2008, 06:41 AM
kman43

Here is some interesting information I received from another site.("Are you in HRS or normal PPM mode? HRS will DESTROY non-digital servos.
In HRS, it will hold failsafes permanently but blow up analog servos. With PPM you have to press the button on the back (F/S green light-up button) to activate the failsafe. It will store whatever settings the trigger/wheel are at in the receiver's failsafe memory, but will be erased when the power on the vehicle is cycled.")
So I will try it in PPM mode only. Does anyone know if Tamiya stock servos are analog or digital? They must be analog but would like this confermed. Thanks for the help. Ken
Old 04-20-2008, 08:22 PM
systemlord

Here is some interesting information I received from another site.("Are you in HRS or normal PPM mode? HRS will DESTROY non-digital servos.
In HRS, it will hold failsafes permanently but blow up analog servos. With PPM you have to press the button on the back (F/S green light-up button) to activate the failsafe. It will store whatever settings the trigger/wheel are at in the receiver's failsafe memory, but will be erased when the power on the vehicle is cycled.")
So I will try it in PPM mode only. Does anyone know if Tamiya stock servos are analog or digital? They must be analog but would like this confermed. Thanks for the help. Ken
Can you provide links to where you found out the failsafe information at? I just got the 3PKS 2.4GHz system and was wanting more info on the HRS mode, because I just had a analog throttle/braking servo die on me in PPM mode. Now I need a new servo and I'm going to wait until I get more info on this frying of servos. Thanks
Old 04-20-2008, 08:55 PM
kman43

http://2.4gigahertz.com/ Here is the futaba web site. I received some more info on radiocontrolzone.com. Hopefully I can say that on this site. I thought I had the issue delt with but you say you killed a servo on PPM mode?. I have a new servo and am on PPM mode and mine seems good so far. The servos aren't making any noise now unless there not in the idle position 100%. Mind you I haven't had the truck running yet and only had the electrical turned on for 5 min or so. But I'm thinking that I put that servo through some torcher (probably?) with using 4 Duracell AA 1.5 volt batteries and then trying 4 Nicad 1.2 volt batteries in my stock battery holder using HRS mode before finding out all this analog digital info and that I'm supposed to be using 6 volts as per the manual at the bottom of page 6. I went out and bought a 6 volt hump pack. I'm still somewhat new and learning myself and if I fry another servo I don't know what else to do. Ken
Old 04-20-2008, 09:48 PM
systemlord

My brother has been using Energizer AA lithium batteries for six months now, I don't remember a time where he had to change batteries. Energizer's AA batteries costs about $12.- dollars for four AA size lithium batteries.