Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car Radio Equipment
Reload this Page >

Will 4.8v charger work for a 6v receiver pack?

Notices
RC Car Radio Equipment Discuss specific topics related to RC car radios. For general or non rc car specific radio topics please see our regular radio discussion forum.

Will 4.8v charger work for a 6v receiver pack?

Old 05-08-2008, 07:55 PM
msg73

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will 4.8v charger work for a 6v receiver pack?

I have a Futaba tx that came with a wall charger for the rx pack. It's for 4 cell (4.8v) packs. I'm getting a 5 cell (6v) rx pack and was wondering if the charger will still work? Anybody know? Thanks
Old 05-08-2008, 08:27 PM
systemlord

Default RE: Will 4.8v charger work for a 6v receiver pack?

You know what, I asked that same question to myself when I got my Futaba 3PKS 2.4GHz radio. I like to keep all my batteries plugged in all the time so when I need them there ready to go at a moments notice. I do not believe 4.8V is even enought for a 6V battery, that would be like using 72 octain fuel to get your car moving. I let Futaba 9CHP computer heli radio battery die because I left it aloan for two years, now it won't charge anymore.[]
Old 05-08-2008, 08:30 PM
Airbus 9e

The packs Futaba uses are notorious for living short lives....I've had 3 die within months of purchase. I just get a Hydrimax pack from Tower now...
Old 05-08-2008, 08:35 PM
systemlord

ORIGINAL: Airbus 9e

The packs Futaba uses are notorious for living short lives....I've had 3 die within months of purchase. I just get a Hydrimax pack from Tower now...
Thats the battery that died on me, Hydrimax 8 cell 9.6V. I have one for my 3PKS, better keep it charged. NiMH batteries will completely die if left aloan for two long!
Old 05-10-2008, 06:59 AM
msg73

ok. I'll look for a charger with 6vdc output. Thanks
Old 05-10-2008, 08:45 AM
systemlord

ORIGINAL: msg73

ok. I'll look for a charger with 6vdc output. Thanks
Just keep it plugged in till you need it, you can trickle charge for years and there still good.
Old 05-11-2008, 12:44 PM
Airbus 9e

That's unusual.....The Futaba transmitter packs I've had come with 3 different radios have quit charging within 2-3 months, and I don't really beat on them that hard....I use a cycler on all my rechargable Tx/RX packs now, and have had no trobles....I usually use 6v Rx packs....I've got 5- 4.8v RX packs that are brand new....I usually just carry them as spares...
Old 05-11-2008, 03:18 PM
systemlord

The newer batteries of today (Lipo and NiMH batteries) must not drop to low in voltage or they will no longer hold a charge. Lipo's have been known to bubble up after prolonged storage, my brothers did this in room temperature after two years because he stored them in a discharged state. I've had three different NiMH batteries fail to charge up after a year of inactivity, one AA 8 cell 9.6V, a 5 cell 6V hump pack for T-Maxx and a 4 cell 4.8V sub-C 3300mAh helicoptor reciever pack. All because I left them unattended for 1-2 years, since then I have kept all my NiMH batteries pluged in for at least two years and when I needed my NiMH glow igniter it was strong all day long. Now Lipo's can hold a charge for years, my brothers other Lipos held a charge for two years (stored in a charged state) and only drop in voltage by .3 volts.
Old 05-11-2008, 04:04 PM
Airbus 9e

The Futaba TX packs I had die were all NiCads.....The NiMh packs I have are all in good shape. I don't discharge them, but when I know I'm not going to be using them, I'll run them on the cycler before I put them away....
Old 05-12-2008, 04:11 PM
Argess

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If your 4.8 vdc charger puts out in excess of 6 vdc with no load (battery not connected), then it will charge the 6 vdc battery pack, however, it may take a very long time as the charging current will be reduced. I would definately purchase a new 6 VDC charger (I just added to this post to make you feel like you are doing the right thing,.......chuckle).
Old 05-18-2008, 02:08 AM
dacaur

measuring the no load current of a wall wart charger is highly inacurate... I had a couple 12v 300mah chargers for nimh heli batteris, made to charge 8.4v packs.. with no load the voltage was 9 volts on one and 19 volts on the other.... but once they had a load on them they both stabalized right at 11 volts....

Whats the output on your charger? If its under 7.25 volts it wont give you a full charge,.....