Notices
RC Car Radio Equipment Discuss specific topics related to RC car radios. For general or non rc car specific radio topics please see our regular radio discussion forum.

Receiver antenna hight

Old 05-10-2008, 08:50 PM
bashingozzy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Receiver antenna hight

Iv got a JR R125 2ch car receiver for my 1/10th electric car and i was wondering is it better to have the antenna tube high, sticking out of the body or can i cut the tube and have it so its not sticking out. I use the car on the streets and use a 13x2 turn motor set for top speed.

Cheers
Dave
Old 05-10-2008, 09:49 PM
systemlord

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Receiver antenna hight

Keep it as high as possible, lowering it reduces the range. I've seen people actually cut there antenna wire by half only to relise that they just ruined there radios range by more than half. The length of the antenna wire has more to do with the radios operating frequency than it does with range. Just keep it high, Hope this helps.
Old 05-11-2008, 09:17 AM
thedr
Banned

deleted because I'm being so heavily censored
Old 05-11-2008, 03:26 PM
systemlord

Also remember that your radio doesn't only have to reciever the signal from your radio, but also has to deal with interference to and by cutting the antenna = disaster. Now with my radio (Futaba 3PKS 2.4GHz) the antennas are very short and barely poke out of my truck body, just like your cordless phones antenna.
Old 05-14-2008, 10:38 PM
kenstogie

some of the RC Airplane guys take the antenna and wrap it aka coil it around a straw and tuck it into the airplane body....
can you do that with a RC car? i am gonna try let yall know how it works.
Old 05-15-2008, 01:37 AM
systemlord

ORIGINAL: kenstogie

some of the RC Airplane guys take the antenna and wrap it aka coil it around a straw and tuck it into the airplane body....
can you do that with a RC car? i am gonna try let yall know how it works.
This is the best way to hide your antenna.
Old 05-16-2008, 09:23 PM
bashingozzy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

but will it still be the same as if it was high
Old 05-17-2008, 06:23 AM
Argess

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

No, the it won't be. Coiling it up retains the electrical tuning length, but the gain of the antenna is seriously reduced.

Think of it this way....a weak electromagnetic field is directed from the transmitter to the reciever. The small coil of wire won't see much of this signal compared to being help upright in an antenna tube. Sort of like pulling a net up through a school of fish.....bigger net = more fish.

What I've seen the airplane guys do, is coil up the excess wire inside the airplane....."after" they've strung the wire from where it exits the fuselage to the top of the rudder. Same thing in most of my vehicles....some excess wire is coiled up in the electronics box. But the more coiled up, the weaker the signal getting into the receiver.

If you run a small scale vehicle where you control it in very close proximity, you can coil all your antenna wire up inside the car. Just do a range check first to be sure you still have control at the max distance you will be away from the vehicle.
Old 05-17-2008, 09:10 PM
kenstogie

ORIGINAL: Argess
What I've seen the airplane guys do, is coil up the excess wire inside the airplane....."after" they've strung the wire from where it exits the fuselage to the top of the rudder. Same thing in most of my vehicles....some excess wire is coiled up in the electronics box. But the more coiled up, the weaker the signal getting into the receiver.
Now I won't begin to say I am an expert about it cuz I aint but I do remember seeing Al's (rc friend) plane at the park and the whole entire antenna was coiled up, I don't remember what he said about the effects on distance/sensitivity and the like that but it was all coiled up. If I am not mistaken he part of that bug "[link]http://www.lightflite.com/pictures.htm[/link]" plane company