Notices
RC Car Radio Equipment Discuss specific topics related to RC car radios. For general or non rc car specific radio topics please see our regular radio discussion forum.

Charging NiCad battery packs

Old 05-08-2003, 01:58 AM
jumpjoint

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Charging NiCad battery packs

My Intellipeak charger has a dial for different amp settings. How do you know what amp setting to use when charging your batteries. For example, what setting do you use for charging a 8 cell, 1.2 volt, NiCad pack? Any help is appreciated..........
Jumpjoint
Old 05-08-2003, 11:59 AM
Unstable

Default Charging NiCad battery packs

rule of thumb for charging nicads.

if the pack is a critical pack (RX TX or whatever) then no more then 2 x mah. a 600mah RX pack should never be charged over 1.2 amps.

for others I believe that 3 x mah is a good max rate a 1500 sport pack can be charged at 4.5A

if you want more in depth info do a search in the battery forum, lots of info there.
Old 05-10-2003, 02:52 PM
jumpjoint

Default Good facts to know

Thanks for the information. It's strange that the information sheet that comes with the intellipeak charger, doesn't include specific instructions for charge rates. On the plus side, I just got a Triton charger, and it has excellent info for all types of batteries. Triton is on the right track. No pun intended.
Jumpjoint.
Old 05-10-2003, 02:55 PM
jumpjoint

Default Re: Good facts to know

Originally posted by jumpjoint
Thanks for the information. It's strange that the information sheet that comes with the intellipeak charger, doesn't include specific instructions for charge rates. On the plus side, I just got a Triton charger, and it has excellent info for all types of batteries. Triton is on the right track. No pun intended.
Jumpjoint.
Sign of the times from Hank Williams Sr., before he croaked at 29.
"Cheer up, things are going to get worse!"