Notices
RC Car Radio Equipment Discuss specific topics related to RC car radios. For general or non rc car specific radio topics please see our regular radio discussion forum.

Smartech Radio concerns

Old 06-06-2008, 08:51 PM
NitroCS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Smartech Radio concerns

Hey all, I just stumbled across this forum while searching google for an answer to my question... so I figured you could help.
I have a nitro RC car, which in itself works fine, however the radio is acting up. Whenever I'm really close to the car with the radio (really close = a few feet), the transmitter and receiver seem to work fine, however if I move even 3 feet away or so, either the receiver will stop receiving, or the transmitter will stop transmitting, and the whole car will sit in the last position used.
I have replaced all the batteries, tested the antenna wire in the car, and replaced the antenna from the transmitter. None of these solutions have helped, everything still seems broken.
I have a Smartech sport 2 channel RC system for the transmitter, servos, and receiver. I suspec the receiver is broken, but I want a second opinion before I go and spend 40 bucks.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,
Thanks a bunch.
Old 06-06-2008, 10:28 PM
SAVAGEJIM

Default RE: Smartech Radio concerns

Well, any RTR radio is not the best radio; they are only meant as beginner radios until you can afford a better one (It really does not matter the brand; HPI, Traxxas, Losi, AE, or whatever all RTR radios are lacking as compared to a mid grade every-day radio). RTR radios are usually cheap and are prone to more interference since they are AM or FM crystals; the mid-grade radios are usually now 2.4GHz and are way less prone to interference.

I suggest you get a better radio, something in the $150-$200 range is a mid-grade radio. Most of these (Spektrum, Futaba 2PH and so forth) have the 2.4GHz option and are way better than the RTR radios.

As for Smartech, they do not make very good RTR radios to begin with; my nehighbor insiseted on using one (he got it off ebay for $10), and it was literally new in package. The seller immediately sold it since he had a better radio already and just wanted the buggy. The Smartech radio was horribly designed, the case was flimsy, and it glitched like crazy. We tried getting a crystal set (RX & TX crystals) and tried them all (about 10 different channels) and the glitching did not stop. (He spent about $25 for that crystal set! More than twice what he paid for the radio!)
Old 06-06-2008, 10:55 PM
NitroCS

Ok, but I don't have the money to spend upwards of 100 dollars for a radio set. I wouldn't mind using a beginner radio (seeing as it's hooked up to a beginner car), but do you have any recommendations for relatively inexpensive radio sets? And, will they work with the car I have? (The servos I mean, will they fit?)
Thanks.
Old 06-07-2008, 06:21 PM
SAVAGEJIM

I mentioned the Futaba 2PH as a mid-grade radio costing about $100, but I was incorrect. I meant to say the 3PM (which is arount $150-$200).

The 2PH I believe cen be had for around the $50-$60 range on-line (more @ the local RC store).

If even that is too much, try looking up the HPI TF3 or HPI TF4 radios, these are RTR grade, but they actually work better than the Smartech RTR radio. I remember buying a TF4 for about $25 online (used, but it works and has yet to fail on me).