Notices
RC Car Radio Equipment Discuss specific topics related to RC car radios. For general or non rc car specific radio topics please see our regular radio discussion forum.

Futaba 3PM 2.4 GHz Range Test

Old 06-07-2008, 01:08 AM
SD2006

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Futaba 3PM 2.4 GHz Range Test

I decided to take the plunge into the 2.4 GHz world and bought a Futaba 3PM to replace my aging Airtronics MX-3 FM. After installing it in my RC10B3 I decided to take a midnight test run down my street with a high power LED bike light attached. I sent the car approx. 475 ft. (as measured by Google Earth and my handheld GPS) down the road and had no glitching or radio problems at all. I'm not sure what this proves other than the fact that these radios are capable of working fine well past Futaba's specified max range of 80 meters. For what it's worth, the transmitter was using 8 NiMH batteries (display read 9.6 V) and the car was outfitted with a mild 6 cell brushless system.

I'm not too thrilled with the ergonomics of the 3PM, but the radio performance has been impressive so far...
Old 06-08-2008, 01:32 AM
systemlord

Default RE: Futaba 3PM 2.4 GHz Range Test

The 3PM is Futaba's entry level 2.4GHz system, and its a best buy for the money. I just bought Futaba's 3PKS 2.4GHz system and love the grip & feel! From another source,

"According to Karlton Spindle, who used to be a Nomandio sales representative before he became a medicine rep, said that Nomandio helped Futaba design the 2.4GHz FASST system for the 3PK, 4PK, 3PM, etc". "Nomandio has had their primady contact with the DoD to make military grade RCs so they know how to make radios that can reacha long distance. Though our model RCs do not need any signal booster, but Nomandio's experience in designing the longer range distance has definitely found its place in the Futaba 2.4GHz stuff".

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_75...tm.htm#7591914
Old 06-09-2008, 07:39 PM
SD2006

I made another attempt to find the range limit of the 3PM, but failed again. I ran out of real estate at 565 ft (172m), but still had control.

Old 06-10-2008, 01:39 AM
systemlord

ORIGINAL: SD2006

I made another attempt to find the range limit of the 3PM, but failed again. I ran out of real estate at 565 ft (172m), but still had control.

The US Army uses (Futaba radio's) remote controlled UAV's for recon when in doubt about enemy positions. They did this back in the Gulf War.
Old 06-10-2008, 06:53 AM
SD2006

Cool, but I'll bet they transmit at more than 100mW
Old 06-10-2008, 08:17 AM
systemlord

ORIGINAL: SD2006

Cool, but I'll bet they transmit at more than 100mW
Probibly a signal booster mounted on their backpack.