Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car Radio Equipment
Reload this Page >

9 cell NiMh Mod for Spektrum DX 3.0

Notices
RC Car Radio Equipment Discuss specific topics related to RC car radios. For general or non rc car specific radio topics please see our regular radio discussion forum.

9 cell NiMh Mod for Spektrum DX 3.0

Old 06-25-2008, 08:01 AM
martrix

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 9 cell NiMh Mod for Spektrum DX 3.0

So it took me about 4 hours to do this, mainly because I had to work it out as I went. Now that I know one way that it can be done, I think you could get it done in 2 hrs. I will post some more info later.

Old 06-27-2008, 09:55 PM
dacaur

Default RE: 9 cell NiMh Mod for Spektrum DX 3.0

OK.... one question.... WHY?
Old 07-08-2008, 05:19 AM
martrix

ORIGINAL: dacaur

OK.... one question.... WHY?
oops, bit late in replying. OK, heres a few reasons.

8 x AA non-rechargeable batteries (@1.5v)= 12V and gets expensive $$$ buying new ones when flat, every time.
8 x AA NiMh rechargeable batteries (@1.2v)= 9.6v although you get around 11v when fully charged but drop off quickly. Add the 9th cell and you get around 12.7v straight off the charger.

Longer run time.

Stronger signal for longer (less occasional long range drop outs)

It was free.
Old 07-17-2008, 10:41 AM
Mouton

martrix, you are actually wrong here. The only thing that will increase the run time is an increased battery capacity (higher mAh rating).

If you read up on electronics you will learn that adding another cell will in fact decrease the run time when the cells are in series. Take any electric motor and run it with a six cell battery and then a five cell pack. Same goes for servos and receivers. Compare the run times and you will see that you get the longer run tine from the five cell pack. The higher voltage does supply the motors with more power making them draw more current (mAh) thus depleting your batteries faster.

Modern transmitters are designed so that their output (in mW) is constant from 8.6 V to 12 V. Thus, you do not get a stronger signal with nine rechargeable cells.
Old 07-17-2008, 08:30 PM
dacaur

its not the batteries that give you poor range, its the technology.... a futaba 2.4 Fasst TX on 8 cells has WAY more range (futaba 500+ feet easy, spektrum 150-250 feet max, from what I have read...) than a spektrum surface radio on 8 or 9 cells... its not voltage, its just poor technology...,. which is really weird because the spektrum air radios have great range (I have a DX7)....