Notices
RC Car Radio Equipment Discuss specific topics related to RC car radios. For general or non rc car specific radio topics please see our regular radio discussion forum.

Throttle Spring

Old 05-14-2003, 07:51 PM
skirecs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Throttle Spring

Is the throttle spring there to pull the throttle down if it loses radio reception or is it there to pull throttle down if there is a mechanical faliure?
If it is to overcome the servo, isn't that a lot of extra strain
Old 05-16-2003, 05:44 AM
NitroHolmes

Default Throttle Spring

From what I've been told it goes this way:

Loss of Transmitter Signal = Use a failsafe

Mechanical failure (e.g. the throttle linkage disconnects from the carburator) = Use a throttle return spring attached directly to the carb. Yes, the servo will have to work against it, but you don't need a super strong spring. One strong enough to return the carb to idle in case of linkage loss will do. It won't put very much stress on the servo.
Old 05-16-2003, 05:47 AM
NitroHolmes

Default Throttle Spring

In case you're wondering, "What happens if my batteries die?" Here's a couple answers:

1) Don't let them die (always keep 'em charged or keep 'em fresh if you don't use rechargeables)

2) Some failsafes claim that if the battery voltage drops below a certain amount, they will return the system to the predetermined setting (I worry a little about this though)
Old 05-18-2003, 09:15 PM
dan1220
My Feedback: (2)

Default Throttle Spring

you can also post the throttle return spring on the shock tower and servo horn. that way if batteries do die or fall out it pulls the servo back.

TRS- loss of power
Failsafe- loss of signal
Old 05-22-2003, 01:29 PM
nitroman88
My Feedback: (5)

Default Throttle Spring

TRS is incase the linage comes off or a coupling comes loose.
Old 05-22-2003, 04:17 PM
spadworld

Default Throttle Spring

Dynamite Failsafe does the low battery shutdown. It doesn't wait for it to drop very low either. There's plenty of power left for it to run and the servos still run as well. I use a 4 battery battery holder and using rechargables 1800Mah batteries it starts shutting down after about 4 tanks. The failsafe starts flashing RED / YELLOW and cannot be stopped unless you turn it off then back on. The battery holders are supposed to be using alkaline batteries that produce 1.5 Volts each instead of NiMh that only supply 1.2. To the fail safe there's a huge difference between 4.8 volts and 6 volts. I may hook a test up to check what the shut down voltage is since at this time I do not know. But I do know that I've ran my batteries much lower without the fail safe and still had control.

Fail Safe with battery voltage protection WORK GOOD. You don't have to be sceptical anymore. They can save your BUTT! DoI wish it cut at a lower voltage? YEah but no. When I get a 5 cell pack and get rid of the battery holder and rechargables, which the manual says not to do, I'll have much longer runs.

Thanks for reading and I hope I educated you some.
Old 05-22-2003, 06:50 PM
dan1220

Default Throttle Spring

Originally posted by nitroman88
TRS is incase the linage comes off or a coupling comes loose.
or if a battery pops out I thought
Old 05-22-2003, 11:03 PM
nitroman88
My Feedback: (5)

Default Throttle Spring

no, your throttle return spring can pull the servo back with the power off then it is way to strong.
Old 05-23-2003, 12:04 AM
dan1220

Default Throttle Spring

I think the TRS is supposed to override the servo. That is what it is for. loss of signal is what a failsafe is for, loss of power is what the TRS is for.
Old 05-23-2003, 04:06 AM
NitroHolmes

Default Throttle Spring

Different people have different opinions on this....the way I look at is this: if your TRS can pull your servo back, it's going to cause unnecessary strain on the servo (not to mention making the batteries run down faster) and therefore your TRS should only be used to return the throttle to idle if there is a mechanical failure between the servo and the carb.(i.e. linkage comes off). If you have the TRS on the servo and you lose your linkage, you're screwed.

Dan, my man, the failsafe protects against loss of signal AND low voltage. If you have your car set up right, there should be no instantaneous "loss of power." If you're worried about a battery popping out, tie-wrap or velcro them into the holder. That way you don't have to worry about it. The only things you don't have total control over are low voltage and loss of signal.