Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car Radio Equipment
Reload this Page >

help in choosing some 2.4 equipment

Community
Search
Notices
RC Car Radio Equipment Discuss specific topics related to RC car radios. For general or non rc car specific radio topics please see our regular radio discussion forum.

help in choosing some 2.4 equipment

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2008, 11:04 AM
Oats

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: help in choosing some 2.4 equipment

Was looking at the spectrum dx3r's but in the end decided to go with a Futaba 3PK. Build quality is far superior. Just make sure the receiver does not get too hot and you will be fine.
Old 10-20-2008, 10:01 PM
NitroVette

I recently picked up a 3PKS Synth and love it, without a doubt it's the best money spent on this hobby in a long time. I was looking for a radio I could use my 7 existing receivers with so it fit the bill perfectly, my criteria was that it must be backward AND forward compatible. The 3PKS can transmit PPM, PCM, HRS, and 2.4g HRS. I've always been a fan of Futaba, I bought their first 3ch PCM radio, the 3PB in 1990 and it still works perfectly. I passed my 3PJS on to my son, he has an extra TX module with my car's freq. so between that and my Synth Tx module we can drive each other's cars which is great and can't be done with 2.4g sytems so for me the 3PKs synth was a no brainer. I'm sure as I need additional receivers I'll get a FASST module and Rx. Another reason I went with FM/PCM is that receivers are plentiful and dirt cheap, we bash in abandoned quarry so we really don't worry about interference. I have an HPI Proceed and a New Era 1/4 scale with PCM receivers that I run on a 1/4 mile or so strip and have never had a problem with range, I've read that 2.4g is only 80 to 100 yards so I'm sticking with PCM receivers in those cars. The 3PKS is an awesome radio and best of all it's a Futaba, I would recommend it to anyone. It's really amazing how much radio your money buys today, I paid $350 for the 3PB in 1990, the 3PKS was $299 which isn't cheap but there's so much technology inside that it's an excellent value.

For the money the 3PM is the best radio out there, but if your budget allows check out the 3PKS because it really is worth every penny. You can pick up a 3PKS with a R113i PCM receiver for $279 and move to FASST in the future or just buy some Novak XXtra synth receivers directly from Novak for $50 each. I use two and they're great. In over 20 years of using Futaba radios I've never had one problem so I never even considered another brand..
Old 10-20-2008, 10:52 PM
Druss

I've never owned either the DX2 or DX3 but have never had any range issues or glitching with either the DX3.0 or DX3R. Maybe it was a DSM1 thing... mind you I'm using 4 SR3000's, 3 SR3001's and 2 SR3500's. Again, not an issue with any of them even though the SR3000's are DSM1. 1 of the SR3000's is in a boat as well, again no range or glitching issues.

I'm not saying that all spektrums are perfect, but they aren't all bad either.
Old 10-26-2008, 10:40 PM
asaraneta

Dude, do you know if I could get a left hand configuration of this model 2.4Ghz?
Old 10-27-2008, 06:29 AM
Technex

Can't go wrong with Spektrum, no problems with any of my Spektrum stuff and goes as far as I can see.
Old 11-03-2008, 05:31 PM
DARKWAV

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

With the 4PK on the market now, there should be some nice deals out there on 3PK and 3PKS transmitters from folks wanting to upgrade their systems. There's some reasonable expectation that many folks who could spend that kinda change on top-shelf equipment also take care of their gear pretty well. Could probably get a used 3PKS 2.4 w/receiver from an original owner for near the price of a new 3PM-2.4 RX/TX.

If you don't want to risk the used market or want something new than yeah the 3PM-2.4 is great. Though now it looks like the MX3-FHSS is near $50 cheaper. They both cost $200 when I picked up my 3PM earlier this year.
Old 11-05-2008, 07:19 PM
SManMTB

I've got FASST modules for sale.
Old 11-09-2008, 11:16 PM
kistner
My Feedback: (10)

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I have since switched to spektrum, not the low end import stuff and not the top of the line (top of the price range) fasst. I am very happy with them.

I ended up with three different radios, a losi radio, a dx3, and a dx5.
I got the dx5 for the kid that likes the stick radios, I modded it so that the spring is on the left stick for throttle. It was a bummer that it does not seem to work with the land rx but I picked all this up used/second hand. price including receivers was under $100 for each set.
All of them run as far as I can see the cars, and the glitching is gone. That includes the losi radi too.
Old 11-21-2008, 12:38 AM
badd_maxx.25

i had a dx3 im my mrx3 had the fail safe set got about 100ft away and it took off and hit abuilding the car was totaled wasnt the first time it glitch ill never use one of there surface radios again
Old 11-21-2008, 09:16 AM
asaraneta

I tried to assemble my M11 and band it with revo 3.3 (w/reverse). It's band alreasy but car is not moving at all i.e. steering servo, throttle servo etc What needs to be done?
Old 11-21-2008, 07:20 PM
dacaur

need more info.... what module in the TX, what RX... lights light up? etc....