Notices
RC Car Radio Equipment Discuss specific topics related to RC car radios. For general or non rc car specific radio topics please see our regular radio discussion forum.

Spektrum radio Problems

Old 09-29-2008, 09:19 PM
jay273
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spektrum radio Problems

hello all anyone having range issues with the spektrum radios? I cant get 100 feet with either of my 2 cars (savage) (baja 5b) my stock radios seemed to do a way better job. I pretty dissapointed with this system as its was alot of $$$ for the 2 receivers and radio (dx 2.0). im finding guys with cheap AM radios getting way better range. I even had a guy out at a bash day laugh and say (who brought the tyco radio). So far i finding its a awfull radio system. Is there any things i can do to try and at least make it around the track once with this system? I was talking to someone that sent in the spektrum system 3 times $40 in shipping to get back the same problems...hopin maybe theres a quik fix we dont know about...(no more spektrum products for me thats for sure.) thanks guys
Old 09-29-2008, 10:25 PM
systemlord

Default RE: Spektrum radio Problems

Its simply amazing how many range issues I have seen here at RCU with regard to Spektrum radio's!! There has GOT to be a bad batch out there for so many people to have the same issues, I just don't know what to tell you. When I first got my Futaba 3PKS 2.4GHz radio, I simply turn it on and it has work ever since. I didn't even have to bind the thing, plugged it in and its just works flawlessly!
Old 09-29-2008, 10:45 PM
dkastil

I think spektrum went for low price over quality and may have cut a few corners ,I am shure a bunch are ok but hands down spektrum has the lead in posted issues on the forums.
Old 09-30-2008, 01:34 AM
systemlord

ORIGINAL: dkastil

I think spektrum went for low price over quality and may have cut a few corners ,I am shure a bunch are ok but hands down spektrum has the lead in posted issues on the forums.
"Its a fact that we have seen some of the same issues with Spektrum radios at RCU regarding range." I haven't heard of any problems with JR radios, funny because some say they use the very same technology. I don't claim to know or acknowledge that Spektrum uses the same tech as JR, why don't we hear of JR radios acting up?
Old 10-04-2008, 06:21 PM
Redharris

I have heard these same complaints about Spectrum. I personally know of 4 people having these range issues and Not having them resolved by the Factory. They get them back with the Same Problems after warranty!

I, myself, have a Spektrum DX3.0 and it has worked Flawlessly for Me......Guess I got lucky and received a Good One. Lol....

My Bubby is having a weird issue with his Brand New Airtronics MX 3FHSS. The radio wont keep a Bind.
Every time he unplugs the rcvr battery (nitro car) it looses is Bind...

Mebbe we all need to go back to FM. Lol....I always DID love my old Futaba 3PM 75Mhz FM .
Old 10-07-2008, 01:39 AM
haasjj

ORIGINAL: systemlord

ORIGINAL: dkastil

"Its a fact that we have seen some of the same issues with Spektrum radios at RCU regarding range." I haven't heard of any problems with JR radios, funny because some say they use the very same technology. I don't claim to know or acknowledge that Spektrum uses the same tech as JR, why don't we hear of JR radios acting up?
There are using the same radio case and I think some programing but I thought all of the electronics were different.

Yes they had a couple of problems, some of the first modules were bad and had to be sent in for replacement. I bought one of them for my JR R-1 but the second module has worked perfect. Then they had a number of problems with some receivers. Again I had at least one maybe two, well one was fixed and one I just recently sent back to see if they could find the problem and fix it. I don't know why you have had to send your radio in more than once and if you do send it in again tell them you want the receivers replaced, they know there is an issue with some receivers and should not hesitate to replace them instead of trying another useless repair.
Old 10-09-2008, 04:19 PM
Druss

I read a press release where it stated that JR bought the rights to the Spektrum technology but allows spektrum to sell the "lower end" products. This is why you probably won't see a Spektrum 9ch air/heli radio as it would compete with the JR9303.

I've owned the Spektrum DX7 and DX3.0, now currently own a DX3R and JR 12X and have never had binding or range problems with any of them.
Old 10-10-2008, 10:19 PM
BurninValves

I have just purchased a Spektrum DX3.0, i haven't had a chance to take my truck out with it yet. But reading some of the threads about them is making me weary.
Old 10-10-2008, 11:27 PM
haasjj

ORIGINAL: BurninValves

I have just purchased a Spektrum DX3.0, i haven't had a chance to take my truck out with it yet. But reading some of the threads about them is making me weary.
You should not have to worry much any more. As far as I know there were never any problems with the DX3 and the receivers that had problems should have been bought by now and hopefully returned for repair. To be on the safe side make sure you set your fail safe correct and do a range check with motor off or unplugged if its electric, and don't run it in the street the first few times.
Old 10-12-2008, 07:30 PM
BurninValves

ORIGINAL: haasjj

You should not have to worry much any more. As far as I know there were never any problems with the DX3 and the receivers that had problems should have been bought by now and hopefully returned for repair. To be on the safe side make sure you set your fail safe correct and do a range check with motor off or unplugged if its electric, and don't run it in the street the first few times.
Range is fine, took the truck out for a few minutes today, but the throtle will only go full. there is no easing on the gas or brake. any ideas?
Old 10-13-2008, 11:10 AM
haasjj

Range is fine, took the truck out for a few minutes today, but the throtle will only go full. there is no easing on the gas or brake. any ideas?
A couple of questions for you. Did you buy this radio new or used? Is the truck you are setting up electric or nitro? Did you get a manual with the radio?

Go to pages 21, 22, and 23 and check the manual and your radio settings that could likely be the problem if the radio settings are wrong. Check this stuff and if that doesn't fix the problem let us know and we can go from there.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/ProdInfo...30ManualHR.pdf DX3.0 Radio manual