Notices
RC Car Radio Equipment Discuss specific topics related to RC car radios. For general or non rc car specific radio topics please see our regular radio discussion forum.

Small Spektrum DX3S review by me

Old 11-14-2008, 08:03 PM
Gustaf4096

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Small Spektrum DX3S review by me

Here is a small review of the Spektrum DX3S radio.

It comes nicely packaged with radio with battery, 2 recievers, sensors and mounting brakets and 3 differents sized (S+M+L) grips for the radio unit.

Firing it up was easy, the menus are logically structured and everyting is straightforward.
It has servo limits, trim adjustments, exponential control and aux channel mixing.
The first thing you have to do is to bind the radio and the reciever, its easy to do just plug in a special connector and go to bind in the main menu.

The radio can save up to 10 different models in memory. I created a new one and named it "Revo 3.3"

There is a nice functionality called throttle punch, whenever the throttle is pressed 4% the reciever applies a punch value in percent from 0-100% to the throttle servo.
This is useful to get rid of lag in the servo linkages. I set mine to 15% punch and when you squeeze the trigger slowly past 4% it punches the throttle servo straight up to 15%.

Now what you have all been waiting for <TELEMETRY>.

The package includes 3 sensors, one optical RPM sensor with different sized mounting brackets, one engine head temperature sensor for nitro models and one battery temperature sensor for electric models.

Mounting the RPM sensor was straightforward, I took the shortest mounting bracket and mounted it 1/8 inch from the flywheel, I had to cut some custom abit longer screws to bolt the engine down. The flywheel is then decorated with a small black decal, whenever the decal spins by the sensor it tells the reciever that one revolution was made. The reciever also flashes one of the built in LED's, this was useful to test the sensor before cranking the screws down hard.

The head sensor is wrapped around the engine where the head meets the cylinder.

There is a nice feature that displays max temperature and current temperature. A thermometer is also depicted on the telemetry screen.
Audiable alerts sound if the temperature goes outside a preset range, the radio beeps and you have to acknowledge the alert for the radio to stop sounding.

Pretty much the same for RPM's, max and current is displayed, there is also a graphical tachometer in the telemetry screen. There is an option to display speed in mph or kmh.

It was raining tonight so I didnt go out to drive it but I started the engine inside.

When I cranked with a rotostarter without having any glow igniter attached the RPM readings were 2880 RPM's and a 5 seconds idle revealed 12000RPM's
(What you think its abit high, can it be true or?)

This little radio outs the user in the drivers seat and has an awesome feel and awesome functions.

Highly recommended!
Old 11-14-2008, 08:58 PM
HJJFFFAA

Default RE: Small Spektrum DX3S review by me

I think that idle may be a bit high, but these engines do rev up to 30-40-50,000 rpms so that may be an acceptable idle. I cannot wait to get this radio myself, the telemetry was really the selling point for me.
Old 11-14-2008, 09:01 PM
Gustaf4096

ORIGINAL: HJJFFFAA

I think that idle may be a bit high, but these engines do rev up to 30-40-50,000 rpms so that may be an acceptable idle. I cannot wait to get this radio myself, the telemetry was really the selling point for me.
Get it you wount regreat it. Ive just looked at some dyno graphs they start at around 8k for this engine so if I warm the engine up and back of the idle screw I could hit that I think.
Old 11-14-2008, 09:31 PM
HJJFFFAA

Where did you get yours from? Also, what engine did you test this on?
Old 11-15-2008, 06:05 AM
Gustaf4096

Where did you get yours from? Also, what engine did you test this on?
I got it from
modelsport.co.uk for £179

Its a traxxas 3.3 engine.
Old 11-23-2008, 10:02 AM
paulino966

i got my from A Main Hobbies,It's on the way i can't wait tp get it.:-)
Old 11-23-2008, 11:22 AM
Gustaf4096

ORIGINAL: paulino966

A warning to everyone, the menu roller easily breaks on these units, if it happens to you and you cannot afford to wait for them to repair it there is a modification that can be done with great results, contact me if needed.
Old 11-23-2008, 07:01 PM
46u
My Feedback: (3)

Now if it only had more model memory and a faster speed and where able to back it up to your computer it would be great. All so if it would connect to a computer you could get up dates and change the order in which the switches are used for. The first radio to have telemetry built in was Nomadio which I have there React which is a great radio just poor customer service and getting extra sensors and RX is hard. I had the Spektrum DX3 and it was a very good radio just not enough features. I still have it as back up. Spektrum for the most part makes good radios.
Old 11-23-2008, 07:09 PM
Gustaf4096

ORIGINAL: 46u

Now if it only had more model memory and a faster speed and where able to back it up to your computer it would be great. All so if it would connect to a computer you could get up dates and change the order in which the switches are used for. The first radio to have telemetry built in was Nomadio which I have there React which is a great radio just poor customer service and getting extra sensors and RX is hard. I had the Spektrum DX3 and it was a very good radio just not enough features. I still have it as back up. Spektrum for the most part makes good radios.
Agreed, there should be much more functionality, like 2x rpm / speed inputs, 2x temp sensors. Also I would like a feedback system which says it holds idle at for example 9000rpm and if it goes below that it uses the throttle to keep it at 9000rm. Same would go for a rev-limiter.

Histograms would be nice and pc connectivity.

Why do you need more than 10 models?
Old 11-23-2008, 07:15 PM
HJJFFFAA

A rev limiter will not work on a nitro because there will be no way to restart the engine after starving it of fuel (as per the typical rev limiter). It's also not really necessary as most nitro engines never over-rev through normal use anyway.
Old 11-23-2008, 07:19 PM
Gustaf4096

A rev limiter will not work on a nitro because there will be no way to restart the engine after starving it of fuel (as per the typical rev limiter). It's also not really necessary as most nitro engines never over-rev through normal use anyway.
Holding an idle so the engine doesnt stall when you first start it would still be VERY nice
Old 11-23-2008, 07:25 PM
HJJFFFAA

Yes, that I qould definitely love as the GXR in my Inferno GT really doesn't want to run right until it's warmed up and I can only give it throttle in super fine increments which is quite a pain.
Old 12-08-2008, 08:19 AM
ctg1129

just got my new dx3s and i love it works great,i also thought a rev limiter would be a good idea,the spmar7100r i have on my trex 600works great,all a rev limiter does is controll the throtle servo,also would be nice to have a dual rate switch instead of the roller,but it works just fine for parking lot racing,put it on my recoil also now just waiting on the brushless system to achieve 55+ mph with a mini electric,already put the telemetry on my xxx-nt,aftershock,waiting on another receiver for the slayer
Old 12-25-2008, 06:40 PM
gtr

ORIGINAL: Gustaf4096

A warning to everyone, the menu roller easily breaks on these units, if it happens to you and you cannot afford to wait for them to repair it there is a modification that can be done with great results, contact me if needed.
I just got the DX3S on yesterday , just roll & press the menu switch 15mins already broken .
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zw69397.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	1096519  
Old 12-25-2008, 06:49 PM
gtr

Anyone interest 100% new SR3300T with bind plug . on/off switch & baterry box & sensor package .

Name:	Us53204.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	127.9 KB
ID:	1096523  
Old 12-25-2008, 08:38 PM
race raider

does anyone know if you can run direct lipo to the reciever of the DX3S or do you need a regulater
Old 12-29-2008, 04:35 AM
rc rock

^ depends on the servos more than the receiver, check their specs and see if you can run 7.2v...
Old 12-29-2008, 04:43 AM
Pecanpatch

HUH,
I have a DX3R with that same roller switch...... I wonder if it has the same problem your referring to??

I have had it for 10 months with no problem
Old 12-29-2008, 03:36 PM
dysan

I just got this radio myself and while messing around with the telemetry I managed to plug my power connection into one of the dang telemetry ports and poof, my telemetry receiver is now fried. Thank goodness it comes with a normal receiver that I can use for now but I was ticked off at myself for that one.

Be careful!
Old 12-29-2008, 08:43 PM
mtbkym01

ORIGINAL: Pecanpatch

HUH,
I have a DX3R with that same roller switch...... I wonder if it has the same problem your referring to??

Same, mine plus others I know of have had zero issues with the roller on the DX3R, awesome radio IMHO
Old 01-07-2009, 09:03 AM
trout74

ORIGINAL: mtbkym01

ORIGINAL: Pecanpatch

HUH,

Same, mine plus others I know of have had zero issues with the roller on the DX3R, awesome radio IMHO

Bought mine from Hobby Haven IN Des Moines Ia. last week. Took it out last night installed the receivers and started programing and it broke on me too. I will take it back and they will give me a new one, but I would like to know that fix. Very disappointing that for 250$ it feels like a very cheap radio to me. I was taken back by the lack of quality feel.
Old 01-10-2009, 06:05 AM
gtr

my fd diy the aluminium one

Name:	Rp43976.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	101.5 KB
ID:	1107483  
Old 01-13-2009, 10:10 AM
carakter

So can you show us how you converted yours? Did you bore it out and insert a shaft?
I don't think I will break mine . . . but just in case . . .
Old 01-13-2009, 03:56 PM
Gustaf4096

ORIGINAL: carakter

So can you show us how you converted yours? Did you bore it out and insert a shaft?
I don't think I will break mine . . . but just in case . . .

They dont break according to their tech support
Old 01-22-2009, 03:28 PM
zxknight

i just got mine today, i plan on using it for racing this summer, so far nothing has broken

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.