Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car Radio Equipment
Reload this Page >

Futaba 3PM 2.4 FASST or DX3S Specktrum?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Car Radio Equipment Discuss specific topics related to RC car radios. For general or non rc car specific radio topics please see our regular radio discussion forum.

Futaba 3PM 2.4 FASST or DX3S Specktrum?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2009, 09:08 PM
01s0uljah

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Futaba 3PM 2.4 FASST or DX3S Specktrum?

Just wondering if there was any good advantages over each of those I have mentioned in the topic.. I currently have a Futaba 2.4Ghz FASST combo.. But the DX3S telemetry attracted me.. and probably feels more comfortable in my hands.. But is it worth dropping the money for it?

I know the FASST Spread Spectrum constantly switches channels to avoid interference.. And the DX3S uses a similar technology but doesnt switch.. It locks onto a clean signal...

I'm running a Savage X SS..

Any suggestions?
Old 04-06-2009, 09:29 PM
traxxasfanatic

Default RE: Futaba 3PM 2.4 FASST or DX3S Specktrum?

I have a DX3S and love it. I got it for Christmas and have been using it ever since. Its a lot better than my old Futaba 2PL AM system. I like having the telemetry even though I only use it on one of my 3 rc's. I use it on my buggy to keep track of my motor temperatures. I like the fact that you can set the max temp. and if it reaches or goes over the temp the alarm will go off to warn you. I think its a great radio for a great price. I got mine for 214.95 with free shipping from [link=http://www.ultimatehobbies.com/istar.asp?a=6&id=SPM3130!1002]ultimate hobbies.[/link]
Old 04-06-2009, 10:33 PM
01s0uljah

Would you happen to know if they ship to Canada?

I'm really interested in this radio
Old 04-07-2009, 09:11 AM
traxxasfanatic

I'm not sure if they would ship to Canada but they might. You could always call and ask them to see if they would.
Old 04-07-2009, 01:41 PM
bigblock454XXL
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Only thing with the DX3S is the scroll button will break if your not careful. I hate to do it to Spektrum but it needs addressed. I bought the Losi LST XXL just for the radio with telemetry knowing the scroll button may break. And it did. But I fixed it and just moments ago made a video of fixing it to post to a fella so he can fix his. Hope this helps you decide. . .

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_8603672/tm.htm

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_8654782/tm.htm
Old 04-07-2009, 03:46 PM
01s0uljah

Thanks for the input.. Looks like I'm going to stick with the Futaba for now.. I didn't realize I had such a solid radio.. And I'm definately not going to shell out about 350 Canadian for a remote that will almost guaranteed to break...
Old 04-07-2009, 11:33 PM
NitroVette

The Futaba is a great radio and is likely to be much more reliable than the Spektrum. I have Futaba's top of the line radio from 1991 and it still works perfectly and is still used when we invite someone bashing. My son's radio was Futaba's top radio before the 3PK came out and works perfectly. My 3PKS has also worked flawlessly. The only problem I've had with anything Futaba was a servo and they replaced it no problem. Just compare the feel of the buttons and quality of the plastic on a Futaba to Spektrum, they are clearly superior. Keep the 3PM and upgrade to a 3PKS or even a 4PK down the road. Telemetry's great but I wouldn't sacrifice the quality of a TX to get it, I'm looking for a radio that is immune from interference, has a million adjustments, and works every time I turn it on.
Old 04-08-2009, 12:23 AM
01s0uljah

ORIGINAL: NitroVette

The Futaba is a great radio and is likely to be much more reliable than the Spektrum. I have Futaba's top of the line radio from 1991 and it still works perfectly and is still used when we invite someone bashing. My son's radio was Futaba's top radio before the 3PK came out and works perfectly. My 3PKS has also worked flawlessly. The only problem I've had with anything Futaba was a servo and they replaced it no problem. Just compare the feel of the buttons and quality of the plastic on a Futaba to Spektrum, they are clearly superior. Keep the 3PM and upgrade to a 3PKS or even a 4PK down the road. Telemetry's great but I wouldn't sacrifice the quality of a TX to get it, I'm looking for a radio that is immune from interference, has a million adjustments, and works every time I turn it on.

Well said NitroVette.. I've never had any problems running the Futabas.. and even with a crippled receiver antenna (2cm Snapped off) The set still runs great.. The technology of the signal is there.. they just need to improve on a LCD screen or something that can give us some easy access to functions..
Old 04-08-2009, 01:02 AM
devilchrist

is it just me or did tower just drop their price on the 3PM, may be in response to airtronics 2.4 shipment?
Old 04-11-2009, 02:10 AM
dacaur

Ive owned both. The 3PM is a great radio. I sold mine because I was getting a Losi XXL, which came with a spektrum DX3S. I like the spektrum more.... its lighter. (only 4 batteries instead of 8) It has a bigger and better screen. There are no cryptic 3 letter abbreviations to figure out when you chance settings, and you don't have to try to remember what combo of buttons to press to do what you want... with the 3PM you scroll through the menu items one by one, and hope you can understand what the abbreviations means, looking for the setting you want to change... with the Dx3S, all the menu items are shown in a list, with actual words, no abbreviations... and no button press combos.. just press the scroll wheel.... Better ergonomics. It just feels "right" in my hand... Not saying the 3PM has bad ergonomics, it felt fine, but the DX3s is awesome....
and then the best part, the telemetry... Back when I had the 3PM, I had no desire for telemetry whatsoever. I figured it wasn't important to see how fast my truck is going..... But now that I have it.... Wow.... its kinda cool to see my top speed, but the BEST part, is that I can see my RX pack voltage as soon As i turn on my truck... No filling with voltmeters, or unplugging things... its just right there on my screen.... The engine temp is a nice aid too....
And lastly, is the failsafe.... The spektrum failsafe works with any servo, analog or digital. With the futaba, in order for the failsafe settings to be stored in the radio, you need to be in HRS mode, which means you need digital servos, because HRS will fry analog servos. If you want to use analog servos with the 3pm, you have to set up the failsafe every time you turn on the truck....
Old 05-12-2009, 10:28 AM
JLRevo

But the 3PM wont break.
Old 05-12-2009, 12:53 PM
sonicj
My Feedback: (2)

i like my spektrum! if the wheel breaks, buy the $15 aluminum scroll wheel. like traxxasfanatic said, the telemetry is the bees knees! very handy imo!
Old 05-12-2009, 06:16 PM
dacaur

ORIGINAL: JLRevo

But the 3PM wont break.
The spektrum wont either. There are a small number of DX3S's that had the scroll wheel put on at the wrong angle so they break. OBviously spektrum will fix it for free if it happens. Things like that happen with new products. There are many many more happy spektrum dx3s owners then unhappy....
Old 05-13-2009, 10:01 AM
disjaukifa
My Feedback: (14)

ORIGINAL: dacaur

ORIGINAL: JLRevo

But the 3PM wont break.
The spektrum wont either. There are a small number of DX3S's that had the scroll wheel put on at the wrong angle so they break. OBviously spektrum will fix it for free if it happens. Things like that happen with new products. There are many many more happy spektrum dx3s owners then unhappy....
I agree, my Spektrum DX3S is solid, I use it for my HPI Firestorm and my HPI Savage. I love how light the transmitter is. Its so much more comfortable holding a Tx with 4 AA than a Tx with 8 AAs.

-Disjaukifa