Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car Radio Equipment
Reload this Page >

Futaba 3PK/4PK vs. Spektrum DX3R vs. Airtronics M11x

Community
Search
Notices
RC Car Radio Equipment Discuss specific topics related to RC car radios. For general or non rc car specific radio topics please see our regular radio discussion forum.

Futaba 3PK/4PK vs. Spektrum DX3R vs. Airtronics M11x

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2010, 11:49 AM
ntrain42

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Futaba 3PK/4PK vs. Spektrum DX3R vs. Airtronics M11x

Hey folks, getting back into the RC hobby looking at 2 radio controllers. Im looking for one that can control a number of different car/boat setups. When I was last into the RC hobby I used a Futaba Magnum PCM 1024. That was 20-25 years ago(Im around 40). So now looking at a 3/4 channel for both nitro boats and 1/8th scale buggies.

I have read that the Spektrum has great electronics, but the casing on them is rather cheap(correct me if Im wrong). While the Futaba's are built better but have some potential issues with their FASST 2.4ghz electronics?

The aitronics M11Xis the other radio in question. Not familiar with it at all, but Airtronics like Futaba has been aroundawhile, and would be another choice Im interested in.

So anyway, I have it narrowed down to the3/4 radio's above, looking for honest pros/cons between them both. I probably would rather have the radio with better reception/range and control vs. a better built hand transmitter since I take care of my equipment and dont abuse them. So from the folks who have experience with both radios, what is your take? The DX3R with the DSM2 marine/surface recievers or the Futaba 3PK/4PK with the FAST reciever, or the M11x? Would like to have one transmitter to use for all my eventual kits.

thanks!
Old 08-20-2010, 09:18 PM
Steve.

Default RE: Futaba 3PK/4PK vs. Spektrum DX3R vs. Airtronics M11x

I bought the same 3PB PCM radio back in '91... why ? Because I wanted the best radio I could get. Just pick up a 4PK or M11x and be done with it. I have two 3PKS and will be getting a 4PKS soon, I need four channels on two of my cars.
Old 08-21-2010, 12:25 AM
HJJFFFAA

Spektrum is cheap junk compared to Airtronics and Futaba.
Old 08-21-2010, 10:28 AM
ntrain42

ORIGINAL: HJJFFFAA

Yeah, alot of people tend to say that about the casing etc, but then alot of people swear by its reception. Well, one of the kits Im getting comes with the DX3S. Im more interested in the DX3R, but something tells me it will be a good indication of what I can expect compared to my old Magnum PCM 1024.
Old 08-21-2010, 11:12 AM
Steve.

I still use my 3PB Magnum ! We bring it when my son brings a friend. How many Spekies will be around in 20 years ? The 3PKS 2.4g is still a good choice but if you can swing the extra money the 4PK will be more future compatible with the extra channel. You must be getting a Losi and I'm sure it's a decent radio especially for RTR. If the DX3S proves to be a good radio for you, there's no reason you can't just pick up extra receivers for other cars. You could also sell the Spekie and really defray the cost of a 3PKS or 4PK. We have five Futaba transmitters, the 3PB, 2 3PJS, a 3PKS Synth, and a 3PKS 2.4g along with a dozen or more different receivers and haven't had a single failure with a Futaba product. I had a Airtronics M8 a while back and it was a great radio too so based on that I would recommend Airtronics also. I'd probably try a M11x if I didn't already have so many Futaba receivers.
Old 08-21-2010, 02:20 PM
HJJFFFAA

ORIGINAL: ntrain42

ORIGINAL: HJJFFFAA

Yeah, alot of people tend to say that about the casing etc, but then alot of people swear by its reception. Well, one of the kits Im getting comes with the DX3S. Im more interested in the DX3R, but something tells me it will be a good indication of what I can expect compared to my old Magnum PCM 1024.
Not even the casing. The actual electronics are crap. I know a guy who JUST FOR A TEST of his plane before he got his Futaba stuff, put in a Spektrum harness. He never got to put that Futaba harness in.[X(]
Old 08-23-2010, 08:29 PM
ntrain42

ORIGINAL: Steve.

I still use my 3PB Magnum ! We bring it when my son brings a friend. How many Spekies will be around in 20 years ? The 3PKS 2.4g is still a good choice but if you can swing the extra money the 4PK will be more future compatible with the extra channel. You must be getting a Losi and I'm sure it's a decent radio especially for RTR. If the DX3S proves to be a good radio for you, there's no reason you can't just pick up extra receivers for other cars. You could also sell the Spekie and really defray the cost of a 3PKS or 4PK. We have five Futaba transmitters, the 3PB, 2 3PJS, a 3PKS Synth, and a 3PKS 2.4g along with a dozen or more different receivers and haven't had a single failure with a Futaba product. I had a Airtronics M8 a while back and it was a great radio too so based on that I would recommend Airtronics also. I'd probably try a M11x if I didn't already have so many Futaba receivers.
RIght now I can get an Airtronics M11x for the cost I could a Spektrum DX3R, so I think Im pickin up an M11x.........$320 shipped seems pretty darn good price. Some of the Futabas recievers seem to have some overheating issues? Regardless. I have always been a Fubata/Airtronics fan, so I decided to go with the m11x because thereseems to be very fewcomplaints, even compared to the Futabas. Plus their surface recievers work with 6-7.4volt input and are Lipo compatible. Seems the way to go for me since Ill be doing all 1/8th and 1/5th scale kits.
Old 08-24-2010, 01:58 AM
HJJFFFAA

I think I heard about that but I've never experienced that with my 3PK.
Old 08-26-2010, 12:55 AM
Steve.

You won't be disappointed it's a great system.
Old 09-09-2010, 09:02 AM
disjaukifa
My Feedback: (14)

I agree with others have said, you can't go wrong with the Airtronics or Futaba systems. I had a Spektrum and didn't like it at all.

Good luck with your new radio system!

-Disjaukifa
Old 09-19-2010, 09:13 PM
zone 5

Still have my Futaba Magnum PCM 1024. Still works, and gets used on nitro and electric. Pick up a current radio, and they all feel cheap compared to this radio. The benefit of new tech I guess.

I looked at the Spektrum and Futaba radios to replace that radio. Futaba's 3 PMX and the Spek DX3R. The programming on the Futaba was a PITA to say the least. Needing to have the directions in front of you to understand what all the letter abbreviationss on their screens are trying to say is poor on Futab's part IMHO. The Spek programming was easy and they used real words, not abbreviations that I couldn't understand. BUT, the Futaba felt much better in my hand. The Spek felt like a "toy". What did I do? I cheaped out, and put the receiver from my 1024 in the new car and it works great. I love the no attena on the 2.4's but when Futaba changes their abbreviations I'll buy one. Until then, the radio that cost $500, 20 years ago works great. Futaba needs a radio (price wise) between the 3PMx and the 3 PKS with no abbreviations in its menus.
Old 09-20-2010, 08:11 AM
ntrain42

Im actually holding off on the M11x. One of the RTR kits I got came with the Spektrum DX3S and I actually really like it alot. The transmitter does feel a bit light/cheap, but the control and range are incredible. I actually found and pulled out my old PCM 1024 andhad to useit for a few days and other than the heft feel to it, it was just inferior in use and performance.

Ive seen a few people here and there on occasion complain about the range on these new 2.4gig systems, but I had my 1/8th scale MT out to the point where I needed binocular assistance to see anddrive itand still could not hit the rangelimits of the DX3S. Response was instant and 100% glitch free the entire time. Since the DX3S has 10 model memory built in, I have decided to hold off on picking up an M11x.No reason to rebuy and fix what isn't broke.
Old 09-29-2010, 09:39 AM
kent_man

Where did you find the m11x for 320. I need me one.
Old 09-29-2010, 10:48 AM
ntrain42

ORIGINAL: kent_man

Where did you find the m11x for 320. I need me one.
Well, Im a member of the Tower Hobby club($9.99 year, but waived on first order)which regularly sends out coupons that allow you to save $60-80 on orders over $300 plus free shipping.
Old 11-08-2010, 11:07 PM
etivac13

i'm planning of getting the 4pk/4pl or the m11x... can the futaba rx handle lipos?
Old 11-09-2010, 10:42 AM
ntrain42

ORIGINAL: etivac13

i'm planning of getting the 4pk/4pl or the m11x... can the futaba rx handle lipos?
The new 4PKS can, it now uses a high voltage reciever.
Old 11-15-2010, 10:35 AM
rmh

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The Spektrum 2s is another decent alternative -
Having flown just about all the Spektrum/JR TX rx in 2.4 configs - I went with the new -inexpensive 2s for my cars -
the programming by the roller setup is a bit strange to me -but once I got used to it -I move thru it easilyas for range - operation - No problems
When I started with the aircraft 2.4 stuffthe DX6 then th 7-9 etc, I heard all the tales of how the system was no good - It's like th tales of Toyota gas pedal problems
99.999% BS and 99.999% operator error.
Old 11-15-2010, 05:25 PM
ntrain42

ORIGINAL: rmh

The Spektrum 2s is another decent alternative -
Having flown just about all the Spektrum/JR TX rx in 2.4 configs - I went with the new -inexpensive 2s for my cars -
the programming by the roller setup is a bit strange to me -but once I got used to it -I move thru it easilyas for range - operation - No problems
When I started with the aircraft 2.4 stuffthe DX6 then th 7-9 etc, I heard all the tales of how the system was no good - It's like th tales of Toyota gas pedal problems
99.999% BS and 99.999% operator error.
Yep, I ended up buying a Spektrum DX3R and also have 2 DX3S models as well. All have worked 100% flawlessly. There were a few threads with people complaining about the thumb wheel breaking on earlier models(which Spektrum fixed and sent out replacements to people with issues)range issues, or the plastic casing feeling cheesy and prone to breaking. BUt I have had none of those issueswith em. And I live in a very populated area where there is alot of electrical interference. No rangeissues,glitching etc at all.

Andpersonally, I love the extreme light weight feel to em. No fatigue holding em over long periods of time. And if you take care of your Tx and don't abuse itthenit will last you for years. Thats the reality of it.

I was really looking into the 4PKS and M11X models but the DX3R with pretty much all the same featuresfor about half the price online made me take a chance. Glad I did. The 2 DX3STx's with telemetryI got in Losi kits are also just as good with pretty much all the same features minus a few less model memories.
Old 11-26-2010, 08:07 PM
zman5000

all you guys with the old pcm 1024 (me included) a modern 2.4ghz modulefits them, look elsewhereon this forum (back some pages) and you can get thepart number.you justhave to run the ppm mode. a spektrum for futabamodule also fits the old 1024.
Old 11-26-2010, 08:17 PM
zman5000

i found the part number in my notes, it's FUTL 8926. this was from a futaba rep.
Old 11-27-2010, 10:51 AM
ntrain42

ORIGINAL: zman5000

all you guys with the old pcm 1024 (me included) a modern 2.4ghz modulefits them, look elsewhereon this forum (back some pages) and you can get thepart number.you justhave to run the ppm mode. a spektrum for futabamodule also fits the old 1024.
It will work with the 3PJ but NOT the original 3PB.
Old 11-27-2010, 04:20 PM
zman5000

a futaba rep said it would because apparently all futaba modules are configured the same-size and pin placement. and i told others about this and they told me the spektrum module works also. though the aircraft radio modules are different.
Old 11-27-2010, 04:53 PM
ntrain42

ORIGINAL: zman5000

a futaba rep said it would because apparently all futaba modules are configured the same-size and pin placement. and i told others about this and they told me the spektrum module works also. though the aircraft radio modules are different.
Well Id love to see a pic of this conversion, lol..........think you were told wrong. 3PJ can accept the upgrade, the original 20 plus year old3PB can't.
Old 11-28-2010, 09:10 PM
zman5000

as i'm not in a hurry right now it will be some time till i do the upgrade. carpet season is in full swing and the radios for those cars are set. batteries are more important right now, i got a 40c and it was great and then i got a 65c and it was better. so now i might try one of those 150c's (all 2s) and see if a 540j will spit the windings. one of the classes at our local track is the bomber cars, and they are a blast. limited motor and speedo, but all the battery you can muster mister. LOL
Old 12-08-2010, 03:04 PM
Steve.

I use a Synth module and a 3pj module in the 3PB and both work fine. The TX just needs to be set to PPM