RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Car Radio Equipment (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-car-radio-equipment-201/)
-   -   I surrender! (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-car-radio-equipment-201/11642118-i-surrender.html)

born2build 10-05-2017 05:39 AM

I surrender!

Can anyone tell me how to set up the brakes on a Futaba 4PLS using an ESC?
I ain't gonna go 'til I know I can stop!

RustyUs 10-06-2017 02:43 AM

You're gonna have to set the throttle range (calibrate) on the ESC first. Then, depending on the ESC, you can set the brake force you desire with ESC programmers or manually setup.

What ESC are you using?

born2build 10-06-2017 11:59 PM

Hey, Rusty. Thanks for replying. Actually, I have two set-ups, both from Associated. There's the B5MFL 2WD buggy,and the RC12R5.2 pan car.
The buggy is using the ReedySC600BL sensorless ESC with a Reedy 13.5T. While the pan car has the Pace 45, also with the Reedy 13.5T. I have calibrated both and they both run okay. On the buggy, I can push forward on the trigger to get brakes, but no brakes with the trigger at neutral, which is what I need, of course.
The pan car is a different story. On the stand, when I release the trigger to neutral, the wheels stop almost instantly, but when I drive it on the kitchen floor, it just coasts, with no brakes when I push the trigger forward. Any ideas?

RustyUs 10-07-2017 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by born2build (Post 12373508)
Hey, Rusty. Thanks for replying. Actually, I have two set-ups, both from Associated. There's the B5MFL 2WD buggy,and the RC12R5.2 pan car.
The buggy is using the ReedySC600BL sensorless ESC with a Reedy 13.5T. While the pan car has the Pace 45, also with the Reedy 13.5T. I have calibrated both and they both run okay. On the buggy, I can push forward on the trigger to get brakes, but no brakes with the trigger at neutral, which is what I need, of course.
The pan car is a different story. On the stand, when I release the trigger to neutral, the wheels stop almost instantly, but when I drive it on the kitchen floor, it just coasts, with no brakes when I push the trigger forward. Any ideas?

Ahhh. You are wanting drag brake for your buggy. Unfortunately, the ReedySC600BL does not give you the ability to adjust much of anything. Letting off the throttle, the ReedySC600BL will only offer your motor a neutral feel with very minimal drag brake.

For a great lower budget ESC to run in your buggy, and an ESC that you can count on, I'd suggest something like the HobbyWing EZRun Max10.

RustyUs 10-07-2017 12:27 PM

The Pace 45 ESC will need a programming card to easily adjust the drag brake force. You can also set the value manually using the "Setup" button on the "ON/OFF" switch. I'm going on the assumption that you can manually setup parameters using the "count the LED flashes" method. Check with manual.

born2build 10-08-2017 06:01 AM

I have the programming card for the Core 45. I'll go back through it and see. I also have a Reedy SC800BL. Would that be a better choice for the buggy? It just seems I should be able to adjust the drag brake from the transmitter, or has that changed as well? Thank you for all your help. I really appreciate it.

RustyUs 10-08-2017 03:09 PM

The SC800BL has the same adjustability as the SC600BL...none :(. They are just entry level ESCs designed to keep the price low on Associated's RTR platforms.

Try using the Throttle Acceleration parameter (Brake Side) on the 4PLS to turn the brakes on when trigger is at neutral.

born2build 10-08-2017 06:31 PM

Okay, I'll give that a try. I'll let you know what happens.

born2build 10-11-2017 04:43 PM

Well, I got the drag brake on the pan car working. Very unwieldy, though. Adjust the brake, drive it, pit, adjust it again, pit again, repeat.
I mean really? Pull the body off, unplug the signal wire, plug it into the programming card, then... For all the bells and whistles I have on this transmitter, one would think drag brake would be one of them. The best I can do with the buggy (so far) is to use EPA on the brake side and push on the trigger to get drag brake. Not gonna be raceable that way. There is one other option. I have one more Core 45 I can put in the buggy. I guess that will have to do for now. I'm gonna take another look at the throttle acceleration program because a top of the line ESC can cost upwards of $200! Maybe I missed something.
I checked out Hobbywing on A Main's website. Reviewers complained about lackluster customer support. That can be a deal breaker for me. "And the beat goes on."

RustyUs 10-11-2017 05:55 PM

Controlling a great and very capable Associated buggy with a great Futaba radio...don't ya think buggy deserves a great ESC? Plenty of options well under $200 for a speed control.

born2build 10-12-2017 01:54 AM

Originally Posted by RustyUs (Post 12374682)
Controlling a great and very capable Associated buggy with a great Futaba radio...don't ya think buggy deserves a great ESC? Plenty of options well under $200 for a speed control.

I agree. But there are certain economic constraints I must contend with. Maybe later. But for now, I have to work with what I have on hand.
The Core 45 will have to do. Thanks again for your input.