RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Car Radio Equipment (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-car-radio-equipment-201/)
-   -   spectrum pros and cons. (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-car-radio-equipment-201/4425850-spectrum-pros-cons.html)

mattster72 06-24-2006 01:20 PM

spectrum pros and cons.

what are the pros and cons of the spectrum dx2 and the dx3

corporateoutcast 06-24-2006 01:29 PM

RE: spectrum pros and cons.

Everything with this radio is "Pro"! I have the DX3 and purchased the Telemetry unit for both my T-Maxx and Nitro 4-Tec and I absolutely love the flexibility. I've read guys having problems with drop outs and such, which I've only ever experienced once and I'm attributing that to low battery output on my reciever pack.

The only "Con" I've ever had was by my own hands, which was a failure to setup the failsafe on my T-Maxx. So when the above drop out occured, it's slammed into a curb at wide open throttle.

<--User error :)

jeff

vtl1180ny 06-24-2006 08:19 PM

Pro's - 2.4ghz, no crystals

Con's if you want to run telemetry you end up with extra boxes and a mess of wires.

The DX3 really isn't anything special as a radio, it's a cheap way into 2.4ghz but the telemetry will jack up the price....

-Inverted- 06-24-2006 09:49 PM

Everything with this radio is "Pro"!

The DX3 really isn't anything special as a radio, it's a cheap way into 2.4ghz but the telemetry will jack up the price....
vtl is absolutely right, the DX3 is a pretty poor radio as far as features go. For $20 more then the DX3 I can get a Hitec SRX and the Spektrum system. I will now have the advantages of 2.4 GHz, but will also have a MUCH better, feature packed radio.

badz 06-25-2006 08:58 AM

ORIGINAL: -Inverted-

vtl is absolutely right, the DX3 is a pretty poor radio as far as features go. For $20 more then the DX3 I can get a Hitec SRX and the Spektrum system. I will now have the advantages of 2.4 GHz, but will also have a MUCH better, feature packed radio.

Umm...no you don't have the advantages of a Spektrum, your Hitec SRX is crap.. A Hitec SRX offers less features than a Spektrum..Are you sure you've ever seen a Spektrum? Your really need to at the least read the manual for it, cause your comments FAR OFF.

mattster72
Pro's..
Good price loads of features.
Glitch Free
Great Warranty
Good Customer Service
Built by JR

Con's
None.

mkincy 06-25-2006 10:18 AM

ORIGINAL: badz

Umm...no you don't have the advantages of a Spektrum, your Hitec SRX is crap.. A Hitec SRX offers less features than a Spektrum..Are you sure you've ever seen a Spektrum? Your really need to at the least read the manual for it, cause your comments FAR OFF.

mattster72
Pro's..
Glitch Free
Great Warranty
Good Customer Service
Built by JR

Con's
None.
i'm pretty sure he is refering to the 10 model memory of the srx vs. 3 model memory of the dx3
and also the lack of dual rate settings on the dx3 which the srx has. if you install spektrum modules into any module based radio then you DO have all the advantages of spektrum radios. also with a module based radio you can use the pro spektrum modules for faster response time, you cant do that with the dx2/dx3.

vtl1180ny 06-25-2006 12:10 PM

I've never used a DX3 nor do I even intend to, it would be taking many steps backwards from either my 3PK/Spektrum or Nomadio radios... I do know it only have a 3 model memory and no dual rate, that alone would keep me away even if it had all the rest of the features I use and need.

Besides being a racer, I am also a basher and I currently have 22 vehicles. I like a radio that can control all of my cars, not just 3 of them. Although I own a 3PK and Spektrun I never plan to get their telemetry. I used the Eagle Tree/Seagull and it becomes a huge mess of wires with the extra box and having to Y the servo's.

-Inverted- 06-25-2006 12:17 PM

I have seen the Spektrum radio, for some reason it's entire 3 features just don't wow me.

slodsm 06-25-2006 03:47 PM

Wow, guys, although I agree with you on the whole features thing, let's try to keep it slightly civil so no one gets shot over this.

46u 06-25-2006 04:18 PM

I am just now installing mine as we speak. So far the only draw back I see is only having 3 model memory which does not mean you can not run more vehicles with it just that you will have to change settings to do so. Yes there better radios but you will pay twice as much. I just did a test with mine! With FM and AM when I would put on and take off the glow plug igniter the servos would glitch. With the DX3 doing this and no glitch. I will let all know more after I give it a good test this next Friday at the race. For the money with 2 receives I think it is going to turn out to be well worth the money.

I do know the whole time I have had my Airtronics MX-3S it has given me nothing but problems from the get go even new. Unfortunately I was sick for all most a year and did not use it much so the warranty ran out before I found all the problems. Cost me a race this past Friday!

vtl1180ny 06-25-2006 09:07 PM

I got my first RC car 30 years ago, if I'm getting something these days is not RTR or Newbie friendly, I want top of the line with all the bells and whistles... Ok, even when I'm forced to buy something that only comes RTR I immediately ditch the radio that came with it....

skeeter1255 06-25-2006 10:23 PM

what do you guys think of this combination is it ok.

An MX-3 and that telementery system.

vtl1180ny 06-26-2006 09:27 AM

If you want telemetry go Nomadio....

P2gee 06-26-2006 12:10 PM

If you want a REAL 2.4ghz radio with telemetry thrown in for good measure , get a Nomadio!!

MikeMayberry 06-26-2006 06:24 PM

mattster72
Pro's..
Glitch Free
Great Warranty
Good Customer Service
Built by JR

Con's
None.
Nice post! Too bad your comments are "WAY OFF!" You might want to do your homework before you slam someone like this... By the way, I love my Fliton planes too!

Mike.

-Inverted- 06-26-2006 06:57 PM

ORIGINAL: MikeMayberry

mattster72
Pro's..
Glitch Free
Great Warranty
Good Customer Service
Built by JR

Con's
None.
Nice post! Too bad your comments are "WAY OFF!" You might want to do your homework before you slam someone like this... By the way, I love my Fliton planes too!

Mike.

LOL, I didn't know we had a Hitec representitive here.

gerwen 06-27-2006 07:58 AM

ORIGINAL: Badz

mattster72
Pro's..
Glitch Free
Great Warranty
Good Customer Service
Built by JR

Con's
None.
Actually the SRX is a much more feature rich radio, plus you can add spectrum. So you can have a more up to date feature rich radio with all the spektrum advantages.

lunar_special 06-27-2006 08:48 PM

ok... time for a dumb question... what is telemetry?

-Inverted- 06-27-2006 09:15 PM

ORIGINAL: brianspratt

ok... time for a dumb question... what is telemetry?
This should help! :)

http://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/D...ProdID=SPM1300

lunar_special 06-27-2006 09:34 PM

aha... fancy... thanks!

rsilvers 08-12-2006 02:34 AM

This is not true.

The DX3 is $250 with two servos and two receivers.

The SRX is $127 and the module is $110 and two receivers are $80 each and the servos are about $60 total. That is about $460.

$460 is $210 more than $250, not $20 more.

rsilvers 08-12-2006 09:36 AM

I am confused. The Spektrum is marketed as a latency as short as 1.3ms (with the new micro receiver). Is that for the entire chain from wheel turn to servo move?

noximus 08-17-2006 10:43 PM

im sorry, but the DX3 is not something worth buying with the options you have on the market.

also i will like to add, why are you mentioning it coems with servos? what can those servos do? i had to trash my spektrum servos within a week for crying out loud. i ended up buying airtronic 94358 servos and couldnt be more happy.

if i could do it all over again, i would buy the nomadio system by FAR. my spektrum radio has a delay when transmitting.

Pros: good for RTR kits

cons:

1- slow reaction timing

2- servos are junk

3- not many options in comparison to other radio systems

4- no backlight!!! has anybody tried doing any night races?

5- the steering wheel grip comes loose all the time

i can keep going and going and going. to pay 250 dollars for a spektrum DX3, OR you can pay 276.99 Shipped! http://www.rcbuggyshop.com/index.php...roducts_id=297
if i could get my money back for my spektrum set up, i would sell it in a heart beat and buy me a nomadio hands down. [sm=thumbup.gif]

Doahh 08-18-2006 09:48 AM

ORIGINAL: rsilvers

This is not true.

The DX3 is $250 with two servos and two receivers.

The SRX is $127 and the module is $110 and two receivers are $80 each and the servos are about $60 total. That is about $460.

$460 is $210 more than $250, not $20 more.
Since when is the module alone 110?
The whole setup module and reciever is 120 at MY LHS
130 + 120 = 250... the one 270- servo is trash and the Z590 is good for 1/10 scale cars (Mainly electric) so that adds up to 290...

rsilvers 08-18-2006 10:48 AM

Ok. $127 + $160 + $80 + $60 = $427. And true, the servos are worthless if you already have a pile of mediocre servos.