RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Car Radio Equipment (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-car-radio-equipment-201/)
-   -   Tactic 2.4 and Tower receivers (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-car-radio-equipment-201/9639494-tactic-2-4-tower-receivers.html)

john01374 04-05-2010 04:00 PM

Tactic 2.4 and Tower receivers

I have a Tactic 2.4 that I'm using in a couple of my SCT's. I've been looking at switching all of my race stuff over to 2.4 as it's just easier at the track. Since this involves a lot of cars I was looking at the tower 2.4 receiver and wondering if they can be used with the Tactic controller. According to Towers tech support they can NOT be used together.

Has anyone actually tried this? It looks to me like they are the exact same pieces for $4 dollars more.

Mike St.Clair 04-11-2010 03:27 PM

RE: Tactic 2.4 and Tower receivers

They look identical to me too.  I was thinking this is the same radio that Duratrax is using as well.

robpe 04-14-2010 03:20 PM

ORIGINAL: john01374

I have a Tactic 2.4 that I'm using in a couple of my SCT's. I've been looking at switching all of my race stuff over to 2.4 as it's just easier at the track. Since this involves a lot of cars I was looking at the tower 2.4 receiver and wondering if they can be used with the Tactic controller. According to Towers tech support they can NOT be used together.

Has anyone actually tried this? It looks to me like they are the exact same pieces for $4 dollars more.

none of the various 2.4ghz radio manufacturers equipment is compatible with other brands, even some that are made by the same company don't work together, so like the Tower tech said theirs are not either. if you are going racing I would suggest upgrading to a race quality radio. just because it is 2.4ghz does not mean it is quality, just that it is convenient for the user.

john01374 04-20-2010 04:00 PM

Thanks guys. I went ahead and ordered the Tactic receivers. I bought 5 to start and i'll do another batch in the fall. As for being a race ready radio. I've raced and bashed for 20+ years with nothing more than standard 2ch AM or FM so to me any 2.4 is a huge improvement. All the adjustments, bells and whistles on the modern radios are unnecessary and take the driving away from the driver. Kinda like traction control and ABS on 1/1 cars. All the adjustments you need are in your throttle finger and steering hand. Just a matter of learning how to use them.

dacaur 04-23-2010 02:53 PM

ORIGINAL: john01374

All the adjustments, bells and whistles on the modern radios are unnecessary and take the driving away from the driver. Kinda like traction control and ABS on 1/1 cars. All the adjustments you need are in your throttle finger and steering hand. Just a matter of learning how to use them.
Haha, its funny when people say things like this. Why would you NOT want every advantage you can have? Its silly to purposely handicap yourself. A computer radio can take a SO-SO driver and let them preform at the same level as a much better driver with a low end radio.... At the same time a computer radio can take a great driver and make them an EXCELENT driver. There ARE things that computer radios do that you just cannot do with an analog radio no matter how hard you try... Exponential is just one example.... Take my M-Erevo for example.... With the stock radio your can either dial the dual rates all the way up and have VERY touchy steering, or dial them down and risk not having enough steering when you need it. With my DX3S, I can use exponential so that the first half of the steering wheel travel barely moves the wheels (great for high speed driving) But I still have full travel when I need it for low speed steering, without having to flip switches or turn dials. Its simply a FACT that if you take two drivers of equal skill, give one a basic analog radio, and give one a nice computer radio, the driver with the computer radio will drive better. Computer radios make you drive better. If you can drive good with an analog radio, all the bells and whistles on a computer radio can make you drive GREAT....

I'm not saying you need to dump your tactic and get a computer radio, thats your personal choice, and if you are happy with an analog radio thats great, I'm not saying you cant be a great driver without a computer radio. I'm simply saying that you cannot be as good a driver with an analog radio as you can with a computer radio.

Mike St.Clair 05-03-2010 09:25 AM

Tower sells the Tactic TX for $39.99 and the RX for $24.99. That's the cheap way to go, not sure why they charge $79.99 if you buy them together.