Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Classic Cars & Trucks
Reload this Page >

New to the Nitro RC World. I have a project that was given to me...

Notices
RC Classic Cars & Trucks Have a classic that is at least 15 years or older? Discuss it here!

New to the Nitro RC World. I have a project that was given to me...

Old 02-03-2017, 05:03 AM
FEDMAN7

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to the Nitro RC World. I have a project that was given to me...

I came across what I'm told is a "Diamond in the Rough". It's a 4WD buggy - Kyosho Turbo Burns kit # 3097. I believe it's a late '80's model. I plan on bringing it back to life. Might start tearing it down and rebuilding this weekend. Anyone know if there is a retrofit kit for the servos and receiver? Do you think the motor will be ok after cleaning it? Again, I'm new to this and learning as I go.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	KyoshoTurbo Burns 4WD 3.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	1.09 MB
ID:	2199521   Click image for larger version

Name:	KyoshoTurbo Burns 4WD 2.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	1.07 MB
ID:	2199522   Click image for larger version

Name:	KyoshoTurbo Burns 4WD.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	796.6 KB
ID:	2199523  
Old 02-04-2017, 03:27 PM
john01374

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow an old Turbo Burns. Those things were built like tanks back in the day.

Any modern radio system will work with it and odds are the servos are just fine unless it's been in water at some point. I would just find yourself a decent 2CH 2.4 radio and receiver and use that. As for the motor. It really depends on how the motor was treated the last time it ran. Ask yourself why the previous owner stopped using it. Did he put oil in the motor after running it, did he drain the fuel? Was the motor broken in correctly to begin with?

If you have experience with Nitro then this is all simple enough questions to answer but if this is your first time with a Nitro car I'll give you advise that I give everyone just coming into the hobby..... Go Electric. Not trying to be a smart azz here. Just that I've seen so many new guys get turned off of the hobby because someone told them how much fun a Notro car was and didn't tell them about the endless tuning, tweaking, cleaning and fixing that they require. You could do that by selling this thing to a collector of converting it to Brushless. I converted mine 10yrs ago using a kit I bought from Monster RC but I don't know if they are still around. I'm Sure Kershaw design could help you out as well.

Last edited by john01374; 02-04-2017 at 03:29 PM.
Old 02-16-2017, 11:09 AM
FEDMAN7

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the feedback. l'm not sure how the engine was treated. It looks good internally. I'm going to lubricate it and reassemble and try it out after I get the new radio and receiver. If I get it going I may take your advice and sell it and go electric.