Notices
RC Classic Cars & Trucks Have a classic that is at least 15 years or older? Discuss it here!

ID on Truck Chassis

Old 01-20-2021, 12:58 PM
jharding08

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question ID on Truck Chassis

I have had this RC truck since the 90s and have just gotten it back up and running for my kids. First time we took it out, the rear drive shaft to one of the tires broke since the plastic is so old.

I'm looking to find the make/model of this chassis so I can order replacement parts.

Can anyone ID this chassis

Old 01-21-2021, 11:25 PM
Overvolted

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

That looks like a Traxxas Bullet to me. There are parts still out there but they are spendy.
Old 01-22-2021, 09:34 AM
jharding08

Looks like you are spot on with your ID, thank you! I thought it was a truck, but I mustve either converted the buggy body and mounts or I bought it like that. Been so long I cant remember.

Wondering if I could upgrade the rear drive to something more current. Any idea if some of the newer Traxxas stuff is backward compatible?
Old 01-22-2021, 11:12 AM
jharding08

Found the half axles on Ebay, so I think that'll get it back on the road. Been going over some original pictures and manuals and looks like it has an upgraded differential as well as I'm missing some steering pieces. Might have to redo the steering rods and levers
Old 01-22-2021, 12:53 PM
Overvolted

Awesome, glad I could help!! Not sure about the backwards compatiability and would need to see more pictures of the drive. The steering should not be an issue though. I really dig seeing these old rc cars and trucks being brought back to life. I have a lot, some are shelf queens, some get driven and some get modded. Either way I enjoy them for what they are.
Old 01-22-2021, 01:31 PM
Overvolted

I think the radicator and hawk may be compatiable, may be worth a look.
Old 01-25-2021, 02:40 PM
jharding08

I'll have to see where I am with the car after I put the new axles in. It was fast, but seemed loose in the drive train and rear tires. Should be a bullet if its called Bullet, right?

I'll also have to redo the steering to get a better response. Not sure if its the ESC, but the steering isnt responsive at full throttle. I need to let off the gas to get real time steering response.

I'll have to see where I can get a new truck body too. The old one is very crispy. Since I do have the truck mounts on the shock towers, I should keep it as a truck, plus I like the look of a stadium truck

Now that I'm seeing the Traxxas Hawk, that is the exact body that I have. Maybe I'll look into finding a Hawk 2 body. Thanks for the info on that! Interested to see if more parts are compatible

Last edited by jharding08; 01-25-2021 at 02:44 PM.
Old 01-25-2021, 06:07 PM
Overvolted

What esc are you running and what reciever? I dont think the esc would effect steering, reciever would though. Is the steering off with the wheels off the ground? What about the battery, is it old and maybe not enough power under load to steer correctly?
Old 01-25-2021, 06:12 PM
Overvolted

Team Blue Groove(TBG) makes a Hawk 2 body. I have TBG bodies on on a couple of my Cats and they are very good reproduction bodies, I have one and two wings on their way right now. You get just the body with the outer wrapped so no masks or anything like that but for the money you cant beat them.
Old 01-26-2021, 01:23 PM
jharding08

Originally Posted by Overvolted View Post
What esc are you running and what reciever? I dont think the esc would effect steering, reciever would though. Is the steering off with the wheels off the ground? What about the battery, is it old and maybe not enough power under load to steer correctly?
Here is my current setup:
Futaba FP-S148 Servo
Futaba FP-R112JE Receiver
Tekin TSC 410S ESC
Ruby 16 Turn Triple 23.5 AWG Motor
I do remember a wire in one of the connectors connecting to the receiver coming loose. I thought it was the servo and bought a new one, but if it was the ESC, would that mess with the turning at full speed? I'll do the full speed turning test with all wheels off the ground as soon as this battery charges

Old 01-26-2021, 10:41 PM
Overvolted

Thats a cool tekin esc. Do you want to keep it period correct as far as electronics? Just my opinion but I would upgrade all the electronics, perhaps use the esc again. I run some mechanical speed controls and older fm radios and recievers on some of my cars but the ones I drive often have all new electronics including servos as I dont want to risk a crash due to glitchy components. My sons Cat uses a msc and fm radio set with original 540 motor. It is slow and perfect for him, he just turned three but the boy can drive and ill upgrade him later. Id deffinetely use that motor again though, I dig the old hot motors. You can run the motor in a cup of water with a few drops of detergent for a minuet to clean it then blow out with compressed air and some oil on the bearings, check the brushes too.
Old 01-27-2021, 11:25 AM
jharding08

I would like to upgrade the electronics if I can. Does that mean receiver and servo? As long as its not too expensive. I'm just trying to get this old dog back as it was in the day. If I wind up spending a ton on parts, I might as well go for a Rustler VXL, haha
Old 01-27-2021, 06:27 PM
Overvolted

Yeah, I hear ya on the outlay of cash. I went down the rabbit hole on an hpi rs4mt that now occupies a shelf cause it will never do what I want it to. You can get a cheap transmitter and reciever on fleabay for around $20.00 to get you going then you can upgrade from there. Your spur gear looks beat so you may want to get one of those as well. You can get a servo cheap too to test it and again upgrade if you want later.
Old 01-28-2021, 10:17 AM
Big Alice

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Old nylon like that gets brittle over time. If you take it off the chassis and boil it in water for a few minutes it softens the nylon and makes it more flexible so it doesn't break as easily.
Old 01-28-2021, 06:31 PM
Overvolted

Originally Posted by Big Alice View Post
Old nylon like that gets brittle over time. If you take it off the chassis and boil it in water for a few minutes it softens the nylon and makes it more flexible so it doesn't break as easily.
Thats a great tip! Does this work with other plastics as well or just nylon? I have a pot for boiling carburetors that a tub chassis would fit in.
Old 01-28-2021, 08:06 PM
Big Alice

I've never done it on anything other than nylon. I don't know about other plastics. I'd be real careful trying it on the other plastics. Works great on nylon, though..
Old 01-28-2021, 08:17 PM
Overvolted

I've never done it on anything other than nylon. I don't know about other plastics. I'd be real careful trying it on the other plastics. Works great on nylon, though..
Hmmm, ok I have a busted up chassis I think I may expirement with.
Old 02-01-2021, 07:44 AM
jharding08

Are all the new traxxas cars made out of aluminum? I see how people jump and bash them and they don't flinch.

Wondering at what point I'll stop replacing nylon parts and just go for something new. I saw a bullet on youtube doing wheelies, not sure what he had in it

Question- if I did get the traxxas rustler 2WD base model for under $200, is it possible to upgrade the parts over time to get it to the highest model that goes over 70 MPH?
Old 02-01-2021, 08:59 AM
Big Alice

Just some food for thought, if you crash your car at 70mph it's not going to be pretty. I get why people want to go real fast but hi speed will get real expensive.
Old 02-02-2021, 02:58 PM
jharding08

Just some food for thought, if you crash your car at 70mph it's not going to be pretty. I get why people want to go real fast but hi speed will get real expensive.
I hear you. No need to have something go faster than my car haha. Just wondering how forward compatible the different models are. Like could I upgrade to VXL if I start with the base model

Old 02-02-2021, 03:21 PM
jharding08

Also, when looking for new parts. I thought the broken piece I needed was the half shafts from the parts list, but it wound up being the stub axle that broke.

I ordered part number 1653 from ebay and it came in, but the stub axle is shorter than the one that broke. Maybe the newer versions had a smaller stub axle housing? Do I need a different housing or try to find a longer stub axle?

Old 02-09-2021, 10:10 PM
Overvolted

Originally Posted by jharding08 View Post
Also, when looking for new parts. I thought the broken piece I needed was the half shafts from the parts list, but it wound up being the stub axle that broke.

I ordered part number 1653 from ebay and it came in, but the stub axle is shorter than the one that broke. Maybe the newer versions had a smaller stub axle housing? Do I need a different housing or try to find a longer stub axle?

Any luck on your axels? Can you maybe swap the ends out onto your originals?
Old 02-10-2021, 03:33 AM
MackenziePhil

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also made my boy a new toy from my baby car, and it is very reliable.
Old 02-10-2021, 09:26 AM
jharding08

Originally Posted by Overvolted View Post
Any luck on your axels? Can you maybe swap the ends out onto your originals?
I tried popping the nylon piece off, but its stuck in there pretty good. I think I'll look for another set and should be able to tell if long or short if its a decent picture.

UPDATE: Looks like all the 1653 ones on Ebay are the short axle. I guess I could try to get the pieces separated or maybe the new steel ones would work? Or maybe the stub axle housings sold now are thinner as well?

Last edited by jharding08; 02-10-2021 at 09:48 AM.
Old 06-17-2021, 06:02 PM
Watchup

i miss those little crystals for the receivers and transmitters that allow you to mix and match parts! now its binding!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.