Community
Search
Notices
RC Classic Cars & Trucks Have a classic that is at least 15 years or older? Discuss it here!

Return of Lunchbox..

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2006, 10:15 AM
broncojd

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Return of Lunchbox..

HOLY COW THERE IS A LOT OF LUNCHBOX TALK AROUND HERE!!

well, about 17 years after deciding i couldn't live without a lunchbox, i am finally going to buy one here in the next week or so...

so it's natural i am ready to start looking at upgrades (you know, before i even own it)...

what is the part number for the ball diff? i am new to tamiya and they all the models seem to be letters and numbers...no words. so i can't figure out what the heck goes with what.

really, i am not too terribly concerned about performance. i just want to make sure i am not always having to replace diff gears...had a mini-t and that thing would strip a gear on you every time i drove it. so i sold the POS and bought a stampede!

so, any tips on that front would be appreciated. i'll post pics when i get it.

thanks!
Old 09-12-2006, 10:24 AM
Lunchboxer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No ball diff option... just get ball bearings for the car and you will be fine... you won't strip the diff gear in this thing..

I ran mine with brushless system for awhile and the transmission takes the beating without any problem... (the wheel and the shell, on the other hand, does not survive as well, LOL!) Yeah, when you got a monster van with bad handling going at 30mph+, it is hard not to flip over, etc.

Good luck!! Keep us posted with your build!
Old 09-12-2006, 10:46 AM
broncojd

ORIGINAL: Lunchboxer

No ball diff option... just get ball bearings for the car and you will be fine... you won't strip the diff gear in this thing..

I ran mine with brushless system for awhile and the transmission takes the beating without any problem... (the wheel and the shell, on the other hand, does not survive as well, LOL!) Yeah, when you got a monster van with bad handling going at 30mph+, it is hard not to flip over, etc.

Good luck!! Keep us posted with your build!
wow...brushless? how on earth did you steer that thing?! lol...

anyway, what size bearings does it take? and how many? i have a handful of bearings in my toolbox...if i don't have what i need i'll get it. who knows, i might even haul off and put bearings in my stampede while i'm at it...

oh, and for future reference, what shocks did you stick on it? i have looked and found a couple different part #'s for oil filled shocks from tamiya ranging from $18 to $60.

BTW, thanks for the quick response. perhaps you have a job like mine where you get to spend a lot of time on the internet while "working?"

cheers
Old 09-12-2006, 10:53 AM
Lunchboxer

If you got time, I'd suggest you look through this thread and it might give you a bunch of ideas... If you got the time, that it is!

See Tower's page for bearings info:

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXKSG2&P=ML

Tower's parts list..

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...I=TAMC0357&P=Z

You will see the oil shocks there.. but I think other oil shocks of similar length will fit as well.... but if you want to keep it within Tamiya, those are the shocks to get...
Old 09-22-2006, 12:18 PM
broncojd

well...the lunchbox was ordered yesterday. i'm excited in a way my wife and friends can't understand.

i had been looking for a new radio for my revo but couldn't really justify the extra cash. my daughter is the main driver of the stampede, so i had no real "NEED" for a new one. but, with the lunchbox, i need to have a new controller. i mean, i have no choice. so, i got a JR XR2i radio (2 model memory) i scored it off ebay in terriffic shape for $45 with receiver and the Z590M metal gear servo (85oz/.15 sec @ 6V) i put the receiver in the revo and the servo is going in the 'box along with the revo's old receiver (stock traxxas)

yea, it's gonna be tough...but that's why i am man.

the ball bearings are on the way...steel bearings rubber sealed. i got them off ebay on the cheap. so cheap in fact, that i bought bearings for the stampede. $19 shipped for the both of them.

and i did a nice job finding the lunchbox itself for cheap. ($88 shipped)

i do have a question: am i correct in understanding that the midnight pumpkin and the lunchbox are the exact same except for the body? so any parts i could find for the pumpkin will fit on the lunchbox?

oh, for anyone interested...here are the links to the bearings and the lunchbox:
lunchbox
[link=http://www.southeastrc.com/Items/StdItemView.aspx?lookup=TAM58347]http://www.southeastrc.com/Items/StdItemView.aspx?lookup=TAM58347[/link]

bearings
[link=http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6066697242&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&rd=1]http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6066697242&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&rd=1[/link]

when i get things rolling...i'll post some pics.
Old 09-22-2006, 12:21 PM
Lunchboxer

Yes, the Lunchbox and the Pumpkin are identical except the body..

Welcome to the club!! Be sure to post some pics once you build it up!!
Old 09-28-2006, 06:53 AM
jplmk

Waiting for the delivery of a lunch box, and have couple of questions (as I still need to get few things for it), hopefully one of you fellow boxers is able to help

1) Shock mounts - planning to install oil shocks on the box, does the kit come with the shock mounts (those metal c-shaped thingys), or would I need to buy them separately?

2) Planning to do the third shock mod - Got a 67 mm oil shock, woul dit be ok in size, or would I need something shorter (boy, I hope not )? Of course for this I would need a pair of the shock mounts as well.

3) Servo - What type of servo should I use for the steering - Does something like Futaba 3050 (metal geared digital servo) bring any added value, or should I go cheap on this one?

Any info on these appreaciated, thanks!

Plan is to tune the box up a bit, and try to make it look a bit different from the default (new paint job etc.), let's see how it all goes when I get my hands on to it (hopefully sometime next week).
Old 09-28-2006, 07:03 AM
Lunchboxer

Yes, it comes with extra C-bracket for shocks..

Yes, you need to get an extra pair if you want to do the 3rd shock conversion..

The oil shock should work... although I run shorter one.. I actually run the car WITHOUT the spring..

Any servo would work... but I run high torque metal gear.. but that's just my preference....
Old 09-28-2006, 08:00 AM
broncojd

hey, out of curiosity, what are the specs of your servo, as far as oz/in and speed are concerned?

also, since i'm writing...did you notice an increase in runtime with the brushless motor over the stock motor?
Old 09-28-2006, 08:46 AM
jplmk

Yes, it comes with extra C-bracket for shocks..
Great, thanks for the info. It's a shame we don't have much hop ups available here (well, almost none at all), but hopefully I can get the c-brackets somewhere.
Old 09-28-2006, 09:20 AM
Lunchboxer

You can get the C-bracket from Tower.. they are like $3 a pair.. get a bunch of them if you want, I did, as it is useful for other small projects, etc. (mounting headlights, mounting shocks, etc. )

A lot of the mods will be home made, I guess!! Did you see my CF chassis brace?! LOL!
Old 09-28-2006, 09:33 AM
Lunchboxer

Talking to me??

My Futaba 3305 has 124 oz-in of torque at 6V.. and the speed = 0.2 second over 60 degree.. I think..

A lot of torque for the little Lunchbox..

I certainly get good runtime w/ BL motor BUT it is not really a fair comparison.. you are comparing a BL motor that puts out 220 watts vs. a stock silver can that puts out less than 100 watts...

Compare to a high quality 11-12 turn motor, yes, the BL would get more run time due to efficiency...

ORIGINAL: broncojd
hey, out of curiosity, what are the specs of your servo, as far as oz/in and speed are concerned?

also, since i'm writing...did you notice an increase in runtime with the brushless motor over the stock motor?
Old 09-28-2006, 09:36 AM
jplmk

You can get the C-bracket from Tower.. they are like $3 a pair.. get a bunch of them if you want, I did, as it is useful for other small projects, etc. (mounting headlights, mounting shocks, etc. )

A lot of the mods will be home made, I guess!! Did you see my CF chassis brace?! LOL!

Yes, noticed, but would need to get something else, postage would kill the deal otherwise

CF stuff is great, gives a nice touch (and I guess it's an improvement also )
Old 09-28-2006, 09:38 AM
Lunchboxer

There's coupon for free shipping over $50 if you want to get some other stuff....

596DE

Edit: Never mind, I just saw that you are from Finland.. doh! [:@] Free shipping probably won't work for you then!
Old 09-28-2006, 10:06 AM
jplmk

Finland.. doh! [:@] Free shipping probably won't work for you then!
That's the case But I'll try to see if I can get one of the local shops (well, the only one that sells Tamiya) to order those parts in.
Old 09-28-2006, 10:11 AM
Lunchboxer

Sounds good.. order a bunch while at it!

Be sure to post some pics of your Lunchbox once you got it!!
Old 09-28-2006, 07:46 PM
broncojd

lol...i didn't make it past step 1...

what is up with the connector coming off of the esc? the 3-pronged connector fit fine in my receiver but the 2-pronged one doesn't...what am i missing? do i need to get an adapter?

thanks
Old 09-28-2006, 07:53 PM
broncojd

nevermind...i just cut the plug to fit...
Old 09-28-2006, 08:55 PM
Lunchboxer

Yup.. just cut the plug to make it fit!! Some receiver would fit just fine, but some require some fitting..

Remember to show your 'Box when you are done!!
Old 09-28-2006, 10:50 PM
broncojd

i've already got a few pictures taken...i'll post them when i get time...
Old 09-29-2006, 02:58 AM
jplmk

Be sure to post some pics of your Lunchbox once you got it!!
I will.

Old 09-30-2006, 04:43 PM
broncojd

well...it's complete...it took me SEVERAL hours (three saturday night and more than that again on saturday) and my brain is tired, but i did it. actually, at the end i wasn't even enjoying it. but i had to finish. i don't think the hangover helped.

i didn't do any mods or anything. i used ball bearings. i loctite'd lots of the screws. i did add washers to the screws for the shocks. oh, and i lubricated everything except the differential with bearing grease. that won't wear off as quickly as the thin grease it came with.

that's it...here are pictures of my work as it progressed.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk25774.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	131.2 KB
ID:	532863   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx76691.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	84.7 KB
ID:	532864   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bg91988.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	85.3 KB
ID:	532865   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ey71292.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	91.8 KB
ID:	532866   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yj63686.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	90.7 KB
ID:	532867  
Old 09-30-2006, 05:01 PM
broncojd

and here is the rest of the story
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jf99533.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	79.6 KB
ID:	532869   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb88755.jpg
Size:	94.0 KB
ID:	532870   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yd81305.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	532871   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qj19948.jpg
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	532872   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bm74301.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	532873  
Old 10-01-2006, 08:30 AM
Lunchboxer

Nice!! I am sure you will enjoy it.. I guess by now, that nice body has plenty of scratches already?!?! LOL!!
Old 10-01-2006, 10:02 AM
broncojd

actually, i've managed to keep it upright with just one exception...so the body still looks pretty good. i'm already thinking about how i can get some 2.2 tires and wheels on it for improved traction. it is pretty quick, though. it will keep up with the stampede in a straight line. turning? well... didn't really mess with it too much after i got it together. took a few test drives then parked it. i was exhausted.

having a slight problem with the reverse right now, though. i am going to read the manual and see if i can figure it out. if not i'll be back to see if there's something i'm missing...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.