Notices
RC Classic Cars & Trucks Have a classic that is at least 15 years or older? Discuss it here!

Return of Lunchbox..

Old 10-08-2006, 03:26 PM
Lunchboxer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Return of Lunchbox..

Why don't you run BEC?? I assume you are using the stock TEU-101 ESC??

Just route that power cable to your receiver, then you can get rid of the 4AA batteries...

But it is up to you!!
Old 10-08-2006, 04:05 PM
jplmk

ORIGINAL: Lunchboxer
Why don't you run BEC?? I assume you are using the stock TEU-101 ESC??
I should start to read the f... manual, since you're right, I can feed power from ESC to the receiver, so no need for the AA pack for this purpose (will use it anyway for lights, so I'll leave it there).

Thanks!
Old 10-08-2006, 06:13 PM
Lunchboxer

LOL, I just thought maybe you wanted the weight for handling purpose.. but if not, there's no point of keep another set of batteries.. just more trouble and more things to go wrong!
Old 10-08-2006, 06:23 PM
Lunchboxer

Nice.. not that I am biased or anything.. hee hee... I have like 4 or 5 S3305 in my lineup, ha ha ha ha!! (and a couple of them in my spare parts bin.. !)

ORIGINAL: jplmk
Servo chosen was Futaba S3305, as it was recommended over the 3050 by the shop staff.
Old 10-09-2006, 02:11 AM
jplmk

LOL, I just thought maybe you wanted the weight for handling purpose.. but if not, there's no point of keep another set of batteries.. just more trouble and more things to go wrong!
Handling is one, I guess weight in the front will help, to cut out excessive wheelies

The missing pair of shocks have arrived today, so I'll get to finish the assembly today, and maybe run it outdoors (if it doesn't rain ... hard )
Old 10-09-2006, 06:38 AM
Lunchboxer

Need to run softer setting on the back, I think, due to the solid axle.. but you can experiment with it and figure it out!!

Remember to post some pics of the completed 'Box!!
Old 10-09-2006, 07:14 PM
JR16

i have an orginal from 86 in mint condition i love the damn thing
Old 10-09-2006, 07:19 PM
Lunchboxer

Awesome!! That's old school there...
Old 10-10-2006, 12:16 PM
jplmk

It's not ready (as I will probably find something to do still ), but it's ready

the LED lights are still under work, got the Pico Switch though, and was able to hook it up after making some custom cabling - the current setup uses 4AA for receiver and lightning (through Pico), but allows power feed from main battery just by changing the connector.

Pico (hooked up in 3rd channel) does not work right when receiver is powered through ESC (i.e. from the main battery), the relay does not switch from open to close when there's no action on the other channels (steering or throttle). This means you would need to flick the 3rd channel switch AND touch the steering/throttle a bit to get the relay to close. I have no idea why, but it seems to be a feature of this ESC/receiver combination (relay opens normally though, just by flicking the switch). When receiver is powered from 4AA pack, it works as it should, opening and closing the relay just by the flick of the 3rd channel switch. Hence one more reason to keep the 4AA pack aboard.

Couple of photos attached, in the second I wrote down some of the things I've done for the box so far.

Any place I can load a large video clip when I get to shoot it? Forum seems to have 6MB limit for attachments (looking at some 40-50 MB)
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db84543.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	538550   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr51334.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	73.6 KB
ID:	538551   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf99603.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	538552  
Old 10-10-2006, 12:23 PM
Lunchboxer

NICE! Where did you get the pico switch?! I assume you can use that to turn on / off the light?! Is it expensive? I was thinking about using an ESC to do it, but just seems excessive...
Old 10-10-2006, 12:51 PM
jplmk

NICE! Where did you get the pico switch?! I assume you can use that to turn on / off the light?! Is it expensive? I was thinking about using an ESC to do it, but just seems excessive...
Yes, that's what I got it for - switching the lights on and off remotely (just to use the 3rd channel for something, and it's a nice touch I guess ) - Of course I could use it for anything else running on 4.6 V, like a horn, winch or something like that.

Got the Pico directly from the manufacturer (the only possibility for me) - http://www.dimensionengineering.com/PicoSwitch.htm (they seem to be out-of-stock now, but I guess you have resellers in the US), I think it was cheap ($20.99 (less than 17 € with the current rate) delivered), and came quite fast (in less than a week).

Old 10-10-2006, 01:01 PM
Lunchboxer

Cool.. although at $20, it is not that much cheaper than an ESC! But I do like the fact that it isolates the receiver electronics from the power source.. so it is probably more flexible!

I might look into it! Thanks!!

Yeah, I got lights on my T-Egg! I was thinking about converting it for remote on/off...

Old 10-10-2006, 01:13 PM
jplmk

True, you can probably get a cheap ESC with almost the same from US (not from here ). I liked the idea, and it's small, the isolation is nice as well (although not really critical with these voltages). I can post some details when I get the lights done, the switch itself works nicely now (and as it alerts if there's no signal but the unit is on (led flashing on it), it doubles up as a reminder to switch off the aux battery in my setup )

Your lights look bright enough - using LEDs?
Old 10-10-2006, 01:20 PM
Lunchboxer

Yeah, do post the details if you got a chance, thanks!!

Yeah, they are LEDs...

A few more pics..

Old 10-10-2006, 01:26 PM
jplmk

Looking good, nice units.

Will use superbright leds (some 20k+), the rear I might do if I find a way to fix up the shells so that it still looks good. These leds are all out-of-stock in the local shops, but will try to find some - Also the body paintjob needs to be done still (i.e. not that ready after all )
Old 10-10-2006, 01:29 PM
Lunchboxer

Cool.. keep us posted!! Those shocks look pretty good!! I just run the Tamiya hop-up, but they are plastic, no aluminum....
Old 10-10-2006, 03:02 PM
jplmk

Here's a short video clip on Pico Switch

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyy6I3ro4kc
Old 10-10-2006, 03:20 PM
Lunchboxer

That's pretty cool.. if I were you, I'd change the 3rd channel to the thumb clicker, so it is easier to turn on and off the light.. (you can do that via the menu on the 3PM...)

Just a suggestion.. you probably have a different preference!
Old 10-10-2006, 03:51 PM
jplmk

That's pretty cool.. if I were you, I'd change the 3rd channel to the thumb clicker, so it is easier to turn on and off the light.. (you can do that via the menu on the 3PM...)

Just a suggestion.. you probably have a different preference!
Yeah, haven't had time yet to browse through the manual for 3PM (only checked how to adjust EPA for steering, before breaking the servo ) - Just used the default for now (which is located, as you noticed, in a tricky place if you just use one hand )

EDIT: That was easy, just switched it over, nice (don't regret couching up the extra cash for this over the 2PL/etc)
Old 10-10-2006, 03:54 PM
Lunchboxer

Yeah, I like my 3PM.. I use the thumb clicker to turn on and off the 4 wheel steering on my TLT.. (you can do that on the fly!) Pretty cool...
Old 10-10-2006, 04:00 PM
jplmk

I think I need to spend some bedtime with the manual, as 3PM seems to have a lot to offer (of course many of the features would really be usefull with a gas car). And I anyway need to find out how to set throttle parameters for handing the car over to youngsters.
Old 10-10-2006, 04:09 PM
Lunchboxer

I guess you can just do it via EPA?
Old 10-10-2006, 04:24 PM
jplmk

That's right, just did it, copied another model (found a bug (a feature ) - 3rd channel setting was not copied, so whenever you copy a model, you need to make the button assignment separately), and set the EPA to 20%, works like a charm.

Old 10-10-2006, 04:29 PM
Lunchboxer

Or you can setup the Condition 2, so Condition 1 will be full power, and Condition 2 will be 20% EPA, and you don't need to copy the model memory, but then, there's many ways of doing the same thing..

The reason why I would prefer the Cond 2 setup is that you just need to flick a switch.. instead of go through the menu to select a different model..

BUT, of course, the drawback is that your kid might discover that and flick the switch to full power mode.. ha ha ha ha ha ha!!
Old 10-11-2006, 02:50 AM
jplmk

I did check that option only, but I understood you can only use the SW1 for that, which is 1) already in use for the 3rd channel 2) easy to accidentally switch on. Don't have the manual at hand now to double check whether I got it right.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.