Notices
RC Classic Cars & Trucks Have a classic that is at least 15 years or older? Discuss it here!

Return of Lunchbox..

Old 10-11-2006, 05:45 AM
jplmk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Return of Lunchbox..

Getting dirty with the box - Finally got to ride it outdoors. It was semi-wet and as I haven't finished up the body yet, I was concerned on how much grit and stuff would get in, but was surprised to see that insides were almost completely clean, despite the missing front, and windows. But will wrap-up the insides in the future, as it's simple to do with the box chassis. body hold up well, hit a few rocks, but got only minor marks on it (the first ones hurt the most )

I did flip over the car couple of times (sideways mainly), but was surpriced how steady it is, as I really tried to flip it over here and there and it just wouldn't I don't know if it's the shocks or the front weight, but it really did handle well (although the turning radius could be smaller), got it on two weels (sideways) several times, but it did not roll over that easily. Ride it in the forest (single tracks and rocks) and dirt roads, got some 25+ min ridetime (3300mAh NiMh battery), kicking it hard almost the whole time (the Sport Tuned seems to be quite good in terms of power consumption). Also found out that I need to tune up the reverse a bit, it was too easy to get it lose the traction by accident, while trying to back up from dead-ends, and when the car got stuck.

I found myself grinning all the time, and felt a bit foolish when laughing out loud, it's anyway just a toy car (*whispering so that she doesn't hear that* )

As for the speed, there's plenty with the Sport Tuned - I plan to ride it in forest trails, sand pits and on dirt roads solely (not much fun on tarmac I guess), and there the speed and torque given by this motor seems to be enough. Did not ever hook up the standard motor, so can't say whether there's a huge improvement.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig12015.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	539043  
Old 10-11-2006, 07:20 AM
Lunchboxer

I thought you are using SW2 for your 3rd channel? (the big one on the right hand side..)

Yeah, the SW1 is probably easy to trigger by accident.. but that's why it is handy, so you can change from Cond 1 to Cond 2 on the fly during a race...
Old 10-11-2006, 07:27 AM
Lunchboxer

I am sure your front battery helps the handling a bit!! It won't wheelie as much, though.. hee hee.. which is good if you want handling!

I really like those shocks!! Are they expensive?!

Old 10-11-2006, 08:10 AM
jplmk

ORIGINAL: Lunchboxer

I thought you are using SW2 for your 3rd channel? (the big one on the right hand side..)
I switched it over SW1 when I got to read how to do it Much better over there, even for lightning purposes.

In my opinion the shocks were cheap (the other option (Tamiya oil shocks) cost 60 eur a pair ($80) in the local shop), as they are only 15 eur ($19) a pair, bought them from Conrad Electronics (http://www.conrad.de) - search for item numbers 228164 and 228162 (latter is the one I got for the 3rd shock mod - BTW, I managed to get a pair of c-brackets locally, so 3rd shock mod will follow next week ). The possibility to adjust the spring preload is nice to have (have tighten it up a bit in the front, that might have helped the handling as well). Oh, by the way, the long shocks you could get in black/chrome as well (I just like the color ) - search for item no. 228166.

Haven't run it on tarmac, so I'm not sure if it will wheelie, but atleast on softer surface it doesn't (except of course when going from reverse to forward fast).
Old 10-11-2006, 08:31 AM
broncojd

i haven't seen the sport tuned motor, but i have gotten some really impressive run times with the stock 540 motor (20 min would be reasonable) definitely longer than i do with the stampede (20t motor) i use 3300 and 3500 batteries...

for the shocks, i have looked but can't find them. i can't read the language on the conrad.de site. i looked at conrad.com then linked to the UK site, but no luck searching.

your truck looks really impressive. i put the antenna inside the body too, but not as neatly as you. and your shocks are really sharp. the lights are neat, and it's neater that you're wiring it up to your remote. VERY cool! are you going to paint it yellow or go with something more custom?
Old 10-11-2006, 09:16 AM
Lunchboxer

Cool.. I guess that's just because of where you are at... because in US, I am sure those aluminum shocks will be more expensive than the Tamiya plastic ones, ha ha! Anyway, looks like it is a German site.. so probably not easy to get them here in US!

You will start flipping over a lot once you start running on pavement.. hee hee..

Did you see the video of my Lunchbox when I had my brushless system in it?!?! Hee hee..

ORIGINAL: jplmk
I switched it over SW1 when I got to read how to do it Much better over there, even for lightning purposes.

In my opinion the shocks were cheap (the other option (Tamiya oil shocks) cost 60 eur a pair ($80) in the local shop), as they are only 15 eur ($19) a pair, bought them from Conrad Electronics (http://www.conrad.de) - search for item numbers 228164 and 228162 (latter is the one I got for the 3rd shock mod - BTW, I managed to get a pair of c-brackets locally, so 3rd shock mod will follow next week ). The possibility to adjust the spring preload is nice to have (have tighten it up a bit in the front, that might have helped the handling as well). Oh, by the way, the long shocks you could get in black/chrome as well (I just like the color ) - search for item no. 228166.

Haven't run it on tarmac, so I'm not sure if it will wheelie, but atleast on softer surface it doesn't (except of course when going from reverse to forward fast).
Old 10-11-2006, 01:08 PM
jplmk

ORIGINAL: broncojd

for the shocks, i have looked but can't find them. i can't read the language on the conrad.de site. i looked at conrad.com then linked to the UK site, but no luck searching.
Try their international site (just found out that they have one, I used the local one ) - http://www.conrad-electronics.com (just enter the product id to the search field, you should find them) - maybe they also ship to US, don't know.

your truck looks really impressive. i put the antenna inside the body too, but not as neatly as you. and your shocks are really sharp. the lights are neat, and it's neater that you're wiring it up to your remote. VERY cool! are you going to paint it yellow or go with something more custom?
Thanks I was just working on the paintjob, but had hard time due to faulty spraycan (and being hardheaded, did not give up but finished the whole can and the result you can imagine...), I need to do some fixup still, and get more paint - I'll show it when it's done properly, nothing fancy though, but it's not yellow

Finished another mod on the box - The front part, where the shocks attach, seemed flex a lot, so made up an adjustable bar across the frame, that runs from shock to shock, now it's as stiff as it can be.

Name:	Qo40732.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	90.7 KB
ID:	539207  
Old 10-11-2006, 01:16 PM
jplmk

ORIGINAL: Lunchboxer

Did you see the video of my Lunchbox when I had my brushless system in it?!?! Hee hee..
Yup, saw it, sure is fast with the BL. I had tough time even with mine going full speed, have to try the wheelies soon (I can also clip off the batteryback)
Old 10-11-2006, 01:29 PM
Lunchboxer

NICE.. here's my version..

ORIGINAL: jplmk
Finished another mod on the box - The front part, where the shocks attach, seemed flex a lot, so made up an adjustable bar across the frame, that runs from shock to shock, now it's as stiff as it can be.
Old 10-13-2006, 10:23 AM
jplmk

It's finished Running out of daylight, but see couple of photos attached. I wanted to go with orange, matching with the shock springs, but still keep the Lunch Box appearance (gotta use those nice stickers ). Retro orange matches well with black, so used it on the wheels. Result is good enough to take a few photos and then go bashing it, like you should

Ditched the exhausts, since I didn't like them that much.

Name:	Pn37820.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	540423   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa84661.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	540424  
Old 10-13-2006, 10:24 AM
jplmk

Couple of more.

Oh, and also how it was supposed to be first - but then run out of paint and since I couldn't get my hands on to more LeMans Racing Pink in next weeks, made a quick decision to switch the color - And although pink is the new black and all, I am really happy with my decision.

Name:	Eb86762.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	540425   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw67621.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	540426   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh15592.jpg
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	540427  
Old 10-13-2006, 10:34 AM
broncojd

i like it! i notice you went without the side step bars. it looks clean. the orange looks sharp, too. although it does make some of the stickers harder to see.

however, i notice there seems to be a lot of texutre on your van. is that just the picture? was it intentional? kinda has an orange-peel texture.

looks good, though!

what did you end up doing with the wheels? spray or brush?
Old 10-13-2006, 10:45 AM
jplmk

i like it! i notice you went without the side step bars. it looks clean. the orange looks sharp, too. although it does make some of the stickers harder to see.

however, i notice there seems to be a lot of texutre on your van. is that just the picture? was it intentional? kinda has an orange-peel texture.

looks good, though!

Photos I took are not very good, it does look a bit different in real life (need more light). All the stickers pop out well (because of the borders, only the orange "flash" on the sides blends in). There's a slight texture, you can see it agaist the light, but not as clearly as in the photos (some of the texture is actually a scaling artifacts, scaled from 2500x to 800x by the forum). The texture came with the pink (faulty spraycan), and when I switched to orange, I did not bother to smothen it up, so the texture remains (the pink actually helped with the tone - the orange I had was really transparent, so thecolor got darker with the pink background and ended up being less flashy, which I preferred. I am crappy painter, so that might have something to do with the results as well

Wheels - I sprayed them, first a little bit of primer, then black and finally some laquer - Had some issues there as well (paint collecting to the bottom of the wheel), but still preferred it this way. I used the plastic bearings to fill in the slots for the bearings (not to get them filled with paint).
Old 10-13-2006, 10:45 AM
hunter306

looks good, though!

Orange Peel texture probably comes from spraying incompatible paints on top of one another.

Looks like he started with pink, then sprayed a differnt red on it to finish it. That probably caused the unique texture.

Doesn't look bad at all though!
Old 10-13-2006, 11:06 AM
jplmk

ORIGINAL: hunter306

Orange Peel texture probably comes from spraying incompatible paints on top of one another.

Looks like he started with pink, then sprayed a differnt red on it to finish it. That probably caused the unique texture.

Doesn't look bad at all though!
Texture came from the pink layer (had a faulty can, that made an uneven surface (too thick spray), that was rounded up by the orange layers.

I was anooyed about it at first, but then it came out ok, and it's not going to be that painful to flip it around when the paintjob is not perfect

Here's a close shot on the texture. EDIT: Actually the rear shot above shows it well also.

Name:	Ki19138.jpg
Size:	43.2 KB
ID:	540448  
Old 10-13-2006, 11:12 AM
broncojd

not making fun, but that looks like an orange with stickers and wheels!
Old 10-13-2006, 11:34 AM
jplmk

not making fun, but that looks like an orange with stickers and wheels!
Ha ha Should change the name from Lunch Box to Orange Basket

Old 10-13-2006, 12:11 PM
Lunchboxer

Awesome!! Although, I'd probably prefer a little bit more contrast, but looking good nonetheless!!

Now go take some action pics!! Like these!

Old 10-13-2006, 12:19 PM
hunter306

Are those recent pictures of driving or have i seen those before?

Regardless, they look great! I'm so excited that I get to drive this weekend!! I've been getting home from working after dark so I haven't driven in almost 5 days.
Old 10-13-2006, 12:23 PM
Lunchboxer

OLD OLD pics.. (well, just a few months ago, but still, OLD..)

I need to see some action pics from your cars.. LOL!! The F-150, the TXT, etc. ha ha!
Old 10-13-2006, 12:24 PM
hunter306

This weekend, I promise I'll bust the camera out. Its freezing but I'll take them for a spin and get some driving pictures.

I'm impressed though, you seem to have mastered the picture taking while driving.
Old 10-13-2006, 12:25 PM
Lunchboxer

LOL.. right hand on my Canon G6, left hand on the Futaba.....
Old 10-13-2006, 12:26 PM
hunter306

No hand on the steering wheel!
Old 10-13-2006, 12:27 PM
Lunchboxer

Left thumb......
Old 10-13-2006, 12:28 PM
hunter306

Hahah, Good point... I forgot about that trick!

Yeah, for sure I'll take some shots... Maybe I'll even have a little snow on the otherwise leaf covered lawns.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.