Community
Search
Notices
RC Classic Cars & Trucks Have a classic that is at least 15 years or older? Discuss it here!

Return of Lunchbox..

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2012, 10:56 AM
Hwa224

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Return of Lunchbox..

Nice video of the LB on train tracks:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEpev5_Ax84[/youtube]
Old 06-08-2012, 01:41 AM
lunchie

bumping for the lunchies!!
Old 06-11-2012, 09:58 AM
kistner
My Feedback: (10)

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Short vid, little night time parking lot driving with my kid at the wheel
[youtube]http://youtu.be/wWkYX33Ms50[/youtube]

edit: apparently I am doing some wrong with the youtube link, but its there
Old 06-13-2012, 01:18 PM
Lunchboxer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here you go!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWkYX33Ms50&hd=1[/youtube]
Old 06-18-2012, 02:27 AM
rc-kramer

WOW!! Almost 300 pages of Lunchbox discussion!!

Back in the day I had the Grasshopper II, Blackfoot, Monster Beetle, Mud Blaster II and the Clod Buster, which I swapped for a *ahem* Mardave Marauder *cough*... bad mistake I know but it was my first foray into Nitro. Now I discover electric technology has progressed further than I could have imagined from the time of MSC's and NiCads, and after about 18 years of RC abstinence I finally bought the one I never had; the Tamiya Lunchbox!

I'm very impressed to see such lively activity around this particualr model, it is as popular now as it was then! So here goes with a few pics of my build and some details of the planned mods I've discovered browsing this and other forums...

The 'Box is stock as a rock at the moment, apart from the obligatory BB kit, which seemed silly not to fit during the build. I want to run it to gain a benchmark from which to assess the improvements I make in the future. The kit came with the TUE-104 ESC which will run the Sport Tuned 540 I plan to fit later on.

I have the CRP FX-10 front kit on the way, including the hardware set (having been out of RC for so long I'm starting literally from scratch again...), a set of 85mm alloy oil dampers, plus one for the 3rd shock mod. Will need to find a good set of turnbuckles and rod ends so I can centre the servo and make up some braces. Tamiya-shop.com.au have a good selection of genuine parts at unbelievable prices (well, unbelievable to me now I'm earning a proper salary, instead of relying on pocket money!!) I also found a really nice pair of machined alloy steering swivels for around $30...

I'm also building a full chassis brace from aluminium, which will be gas welded with 2mm filler rod;

I'm still a little unsure how to run the centre brace. It's a perfect fit down the side of the ESC and I'll notch the end to fit round the moulding of the forward edge of the rear tray (don't want to cut into the plastic), but if I move the ESC down into the tub and run the brace in the middle I could use it as a reinforcing point for the 3rd shock upper mount... hmm. Ideas??

I've also been looking at some of the different paint schemes floating around. I really like the WarBox one but I'm not an American. I don't want to cliche it with the Mystery Machine or A-Team either... I'm thinking of doing the original Rollin' Thunder, the actual monster truck the LB is based on, and I'm quite into F1 so a RedBull or Ferrari scheme may come about. Anyone know where to get spare genuine bodies from, so I can have a range and still use the chrome grill & bumpers?

Well enjoy the pics for now, I'll post some more when parts start arriving... ; )

Cheers, Laurence

Old 06-23-2012, 09:14 PM
rc-kramer

Hmm, where has everyone disappeared to off this thread...?
Old 06-24-2012, 06:15 AM
lbshelfqueen

im here. not very often but im here thats a lot of alu in your box.
i fitted the double wishbone front suspesion and its a massive improvement.. i also moddified a madbull gearbox to fit and that raised the speed and keeps the front on the floor.
Old 07-19-2012, 02:24 PM
miafodder

Hi all

Complete newbie to the forum but I have realised a child hood dream and bought a Lunchbox.

I have been trying to find sites that sell upgrade parts for it and was wondering whether you guys can point me in the right direction with links

Stuff I like the idea of is new shocks, brace bar, alloy wheels

Regards
Old 07-19-2012, 02:50 PM
kistner
My Feedback: (10)

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

A lot of guys, myself included, have used traxxas shocks but anything of similar size will do. As for the brace, that is a do it yourself project. There are picks above of one guys brace. I am still using the stock rims, but there are adapters to use standard 2.2 wheels and others.
Old 08-05-2012, 03:34 AM
rc-kramer

Hey all,

So I almost finished all the mods to my LB. Started with the FX10 front end conversion...

...and the Junfac alloy knuckles...

These are really nicely made and the spindles from the original swivels fitted straight in...

A few clearance issues but all seemed to work out after I'd relieved the corners inside the hub...

Drilled the front wishbone mount for the upper links and mocked up the assembly before fitting...

I used 3mm threaded rod to make up some upper arms so I could play around with lengths before ordering proper turnbuckles. Initially I made them as long as possible to help reduce camber change through the suspension travel, but had clearance issues at the inner points, so compromised and mounted them further out, resulting in shorter links. I'll describe the handling characteristics later...

I used good quality Gmade 6.8mm rod-ends and used the highest mounting point on the knuckle to connect the link to...

The FX10 kit was a bit of a pain in the ass to fit, and required a few mods due to clearance issues, such as the tie-rod clashing with the 85mm oil dampers I fitted...

I found that the lower damper mounting bosses are moulded back-to-front for this application, and as the arms are asymmetrical (i.e; cannot be flipped over) I ended up cutting the long end off and placing it on the other side of the lower mount...

This creates better clearance between the shock and the tie-rod, and also makes the shock angle straighter in the upper mount. I also centred the steering servo with a pair of GPM alloy mounts, again using 3mm rod for the steering links to get the correct lengths...

This mod allows for proper ackermann geometry and, together with the stepped servo arm I used, gives more clearance with the shock as well. I initially used the stepped servo arm to bring the tie-rods more parallel with the wishbone and upper link to reduce bump-steer...

So that's the front end all done. Took a lot of work but the double wishbone result works well...

I used the same 3mm rod and Gmade 6.8mm rod-ends to make a front shock tower brace...

Carried out the obligatory 3rd shock mod at the rear to replace to pathetic little springs used originally. The gearbox is under much greater control now and compliments the oil shocks fitted really well. I notched the gearbox case and used the swivel shaft for the lower mount, with the standard C-bracket used for the upper point...

Knowing how prone the thing is to wind up on its lid, I mounted the aerial inside the chassis and only brought the pole up to the height of the roofline...

Front wheel camber/toe change and bump-steer has been greatly reduced, and it sits much flatter as well...

And with the shock mods the stance is a lot more aggressive too...

All done and ready for a bash!!

Old 08-05-2012, 05:14 AM
northbrooksiii

Wow! Impressive! I would definitely want to see video of the handling with all this done. I dont really mind how mine handles stock, but if id actually be able to go to the track with my lb and make it around a turn or two without flipping, it'd be a nice change!

Old 08-06-2012, 01:42 AM
rc-kramer

Thanks, Lol!! Well I took mine out for a bash today, and "bashing" is certainly the right word as it's virtually uncontrollable... I took some vids too, will post later. After the mods it does seem to handle a bit better, but it's so hard keeping the front wheels on the ground you just can't direct it. But that's half the fun of the Lunchbox, watching it do wheelies with the front wheels on hard left lock, bouncing over tree roots and rocks, fishtailing wildly in the dirt and gravel as it struggles to find traction, and flipping a complete 540 onto its lid as you negotiate a sharp turn at full throttle..!! : ) : ) : ) : ) : )

However, in terms of realistic "performance characteristics", I found the front end is too soft and the rear too stiff, with the outside front corner dipping hard and lifting the opposite rear. The open diff then just spins the airborne wheel, the thing bogs down, basically comes to a sudden halt and then wheelies off again as you straighten the wheels and all four make ground contact again... too funny to watch but not what you want for making laps of a track. It certainly takes a particular driving style.
Old 08-06-2012, 04:11 AM
rc-kramer

The best way to enjoy the LB is to carry out the mods and actually learn a thing or two about working on RC stuff, and then just take it out for a mud bog...

More pics and a couple of vids to come!! : )
Old 08-06-2012, 06:31 PM
northbrooksiii

Oh yeah, the craziness is definitely the whole idea behind the lb! And its not like you can tune a diff in a lb to keep it from stalling your momentum like that. I really like the dirty pics (of the lb, ha!) that show you using it the way it was meant to be used. Honestly, ive watched alot of vids of guys runnin brushless lb's and it seems pointless to me. Not to say it aint cool! Just, kinda like puttin a v-8 in a yugo. It'll do cool stuff, but what can ya really do with it. Thats why i keep mine basically stock and just grab it when i wanna get nostalgic. I actually tried to take mine and turn it 4x4 using the stock chassis and it just never worked out. The wheelbase isnt very easy to work with. I was using a wheely king trans and axles, and had everything mounted and lined up. But, the short wheel base made it seriously hard to get driveshaft angles and lengths correct. So, i just gave up and put her back to her original glory. Except now, its got 2.2's with original style blackfoot tires on it.
Old 08-07-2012, 03:58 AM
rc-kramer

Oh yeah, getting down and dirty is what its all about..!!

I love the look of the mud on a white body, however I must admit that with the amount of water I splashed through I had no choice but to strip her down and give her a damn good bath!! Sorry, no pics of that ; )

Do have a couple of vids though...

http://youtu.be/gRQwsUjvE7w

http://youtu.be/drxHphQRg4g
Old 08-10-2012, 07:24 PM
chasehq

Ooooo another Kiwi with a mud filled lunchbox! seems to be the way with this weather lol.

So... what's better than your Missus buying you a Lunchbox (with her own money)for your birthday?...

When she makes you a lunchbox cake!
Old 08-11-2012, 04:40 PM
rc-kramer

Lol!! Choice! Yeah, weather kinda sucks, but at least we both have 'indoor' projects to get on with - just took delivery of my Tamiya Lotus 99T F103 : )

So where in NZ are you ChaseHQ?? Could get out for a 'Box bash together when the weather improves...
Old 08-11-2012, 11:23 PM
chasehq

Haha would love to have your indoor project RC-Kramer! I want that Lotus and the Mclaren Honda MP4/5b!

Sorry mate I'm about 6.5 hours north of you in the BOP, would be cool though!

If I had to recommend a classic RC to anybody, young or old,the VLB would be it, everytime. There's a reason it's one of the most popular rereleases!
Old 08-13-2012, 03:41 AM
rc-kramer

Lol, I have lots of indoor and outdoor projects, although I must say RC is taking up more and more of my time lately... check out my Lotus build thread here:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_79...m.htm#11191344

I made a few more mods to the 'Box as parts arrived last week. First up was the Junfac alloy rear shock mount. Again nicely made, just like their front steering knuckles, and fitted perfectly first time with no mods needed, and all the required parts were included...

And I fitted the Tamiya RS540 Sport Tuned motor, a worth addition to any Lunchbox for those not brave (or stupid) enough to go brushless...

Looks good in there!!
Old 08-13-2012, 06:28 PM
northbrooksiii

Really awesome work guys! You should come check my forum out on facebook. I know all the guys there would appreciate it. And im having a sticker give away for most liked truck by august 26th. Its on http://www.facebook.com/groups/401520709882973/ just copy and paste if youre on your facebook. Its a great room and another way to show off what youve done.
Old 08-13-2012, 07:47 PM
Eman77

kramer, I appreciate all the pics and details you're giving on the upgrades. My sons have a Midnight Pumpkin (same chassis), just stock plus a 3rd shock mod (plastic). I'd love to get them to agree to upgrade the shocks on it at least, and your pics/info gives some great ideas of potential upgrades to make.
Old 08-14-2012, 10:45 AM
chasehq

Nicely done there! I had a 3300kv brushless in mine for a while, but took it out and put a technigold in it, then took that out and put a sport tuned too.
I have the old yellow CVA's on mine, no 3rd shock mod or anything.

The singlemostimportantupgrade for a Lunchbox in my opinion (apart from bearings, every RC should have bearings!) is the alloy body mounts, nobody wants to buy the chrome body parts tree every week lol
Old 08-15-2012, 04:29 AM
rc-kramer

Interestingly, with all the bashing my 'Box has done, I've never broken a body mount...

I'm also surprised I've only broken the steering once too, but then its hard to do any damage there when the front wheels are hardly ever on the ground!! ; )

Thanks for all the encouraging words, I certainly do try my best to pay attention to detail and pass that on to you guys. If my threads have helped one person do something they wouldn't have been able to otherwise, then my task is complete.

Old 08-15-2012, 02:47 PM
chasehq

ORIGINAL: rc-kramer

Interestingly, with all the bashing my 'Box has done, I've never broken a body mount...

You will, if you dont break them by rolling it or jumping it and landing it on its roof, then because the mounts are horizontal and body vertical, the shell rattles and wears the mounts out making them weaker. Rears are usually first to wear and break

I had a cheap acoms servo in mine, the screw used to back out and the saver would be sloppy because of the cheap nylon spline, put a tamiya high torque saver (#51000) and a metal geared servo in there :-)

Old 08-16-2012, 02:21 PM
lbshelfqueen

im there mr brooks!!!! i havent added my lunchbox with the madbull gearbox and fx10 front end because i blew the gearbox up

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.