RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Classic Cars & Trucks (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-classic-cars-trucks-513/)
-   -   How cool is a complete and never used Kyosho Landjump from early 80's? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-classic-cars-trucks-513/11668351-how-cool-complete-never-used-kyosho-landjump-early-80s.html)

Svennebanan 08-15-2019 11:10 AM

How cool is a complete and never used Kyosho Landjump from early 80's?

Hi folks,

I'm a guy getting a bit old and even more so when I unpacked my never readily built Landjump from my childhood. 83?

Question to all - is this even considered to be a cool thing to have or just regarded as old crap?
Vintage cars seem quite common after all

I'm not sure if I should keep it or sell it - I won't use it at least.

what are your recommendations?

D3MON 08-15-2019 01:21 PM

vintage cars especially ones of that era are more along the lines of collecter type items, to some it may be worth alot, to others they really arent worth much.
imo it is really cool to have a complete older RC car like that, they definitely dont build them like that anymore, kind of a piece of RC history.
could quote Indiana Jones here "That belongs in a museum!" .

you could try selling it if you really wanted too, you would either not get much at all, or would get a pretty penny for it. would also be really cool to have on a shelf as a show piece as well. on ebay i see a new landjump for sale for around $2800 with box and all, then one right beneath that for 400$ used.

personally i would hang on to it, but if you arent really in to RC's anymore, it would just be an expensive antique paperweight to you, whereas you might get money for something else and someone else can show it off.

Svennebanan 08-15-2019 08:47 PM

Thanks for a great reply!

It seems like the answer will be "it depends" as in most situations :)
For me it's mostly a paperweight, but a sentimental one. My kids managed to grow up without having any interest at all in it what so ever (daughters).

I guess I need to think it over more - it probably deserves a better home...

Thanks!

kyoshofan88 11-06-2019 04:48 AM

I am definitely one of those folks who'd be in the 'that's really cool' category....There's definitely a niche market out there with a group of folks way into this series of early nitro off-road/vintage Kyosho models. I was always partial to the 4WD version, the Vanning, but already have a shelf queen (attached - I actually came here to post for some tips about long-term storage), a runner that needs some TLC, AND a parts car....so I wouldn't be in the market for it. I'd probably target that community directly to sell it, but the planets might really have to align to get $2800. You've probably already heard "it's worth what someone is willing to pay", a frustrating but accurate axiom for the vintage R/C market. It's often just about timing, and the right buyer having the right amount of cash at the right time. If anyone can help you sell it, or provide some advice on the subject, it's the gentleman behind R/C Toy Memories.

There's lots of mixed feelings about the effect of the recent nostalgia boom & re-releases. On one hand, I was thrilled when Kyosho re-released the Optima, because it meant new aftermarket support for my compatible vehicles. On the other hand, I'd just purchased an original NIB version that just had its value significantly reduced. The LandJump won't be re-released, but it's a beast of a buggy with impressive engineering for its time. It's fun to bring these suckers into the LHS & see the whippersnappers' reaction to these cars that are older than they are!

Good luck!
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.rcu...6275aaa4a2.jpg
Kyosho Integra Vanning circa 1986

D3MON 11-06-2019 11:30 AM

that buggy is beautiful!!! it is so strange how the hobby has changed so much where the newer guys at the LHS don't even know what after run oil is used for, the guy asked when i was ordering if its something i put in my brushless motor to clean it out. caught me off guard.

kyoshofan88 11-06-2019 01:48 PM

Landjump

Originally Posted by D3MON (Post 12561858)
that buggy is beautiful!!! it is so strange how the hobby has changed so much where the newer guys at the LHS don't even know what after run oil is used for, the guy asked when i was ordering if its something i put in my brushless motor to clean it out. caught me off guard.

:D That's too funny... It makes sense though in a way... in my early teens, when I was most interested in R/C, nitro was finicky but continued to provide some big advantages over electric power that continued all the way up until the 1-2 punch of LiPo batteries & brushless motors. It's kinda like a manual transmission on a full-sized car these days... still fun for the enthusiast, but most will choose the convenience of modern automatics. This car (the Vanning) was the one I drooled over every time that Tower Hobbies catalog showed up, but it was far too expensive, loud, messy, and just plain out of reach for me back then. I was really impressed once I grew up & got one myself & hit the trigger though.... despite the chain drive & 1986 tech, the thing is fast as hell.
a long time ago...quality is terrible, but you can sorta get a sense of how cool the thing is once in motion. That's it, now I have to get that thing running again!

Tanque 11-18-2019 11:51 AM

I'm one of the old guys who had one when they were first issued and I ran it every chance I could. I'm still a fan. The buggy was as bullet proof
as you would ever find. Sadly I sold my original example after years and years of running. Fast forward to the present 35+ years later I still
have Land Jumps; way, way more than I should or will ever have use for. For a while I was buying just about every one I could get my hands
on that was at a reasonable price. I've rebuild them, made new parts for them, even make my own chains( I purchased about 10 meters of
that chain!). All of mine are the very early type Land Jump. I confess I was (am?) a Land jump hoarder.... hey we all have our weaknesses...

I say keep it as a landmark RC buggy. Yes I realize there are much faster RC car out there and LiPo / brushless tech has eclipsed everything else
but to my mind there's still nothing like one of these things tearing it up and the scream of that glow engine, the mess of oil, grease and dirt. I almost
feel sorry for the younger guys who've only read read about them. But here I am a old guy with memories...

Jerry

krispy378 02-07-2020 11:36 AM

Its absolutely awesome. No doubt whatsoever. Definitely worth a penny or a pound...Do what you think is right with that. If it were me, i would build it and actually drive it. Yes, its a historic piece, but so is a Cobra, a Split Window Vette, a Ferrari Daytona, a Porsche 959. All have ended up in museums, but all were built and designed to be driven and to go fast, put a smile on your face. Shelf queens are great, but there are more than enough in this world imho. Whatever happens build it beautiful, just dont abuse it, im sure you already know. Best regards.

paxaran 03-06-2020 09:55 AM

Hi. I think that you are lucky to have it. The things are so expensively made that they could never make something like these again. Japan was still known "cheap" (as in price) back then, but their engineers are amazing. The parts are all cast aluminum and steel. My older brother had one from back then and he eventually gave it to me. I have been sitting on it for a long time. It needs parts even though it was assembled and never used. Even used ones for parts are pretty expensive and hard to find. I plan to rebuild it, find the parts and then use it a bit. Then clean it and keep it perfect.

On s separate note, perhaps someone knows this. I got a parts car for this project in Japan. Its very strange- it has a few differences. Most obvious is that the roll cage is of thicker gauge and the brass bar that is at the highest part of the frame that bolts to the frame beams is welded over the top, not underneath. Does anyone know about the slight variations in the Land Jump (original) model? In the picture, you can see that on the left, the "American" one my brother gave me, has thinner tubing and the yellow one on the right is thicker and the cross frame is welded over the top. Thanks.

Nevermind- Wont let me post a photo.

Oldguy63.5 03-24-2020 07:58 PM

I agree with krispy378, these kits are made to be driven.
I've been sitting on a landjump and a silver fox for close to 5 years now, both need rebuilding. Finally pulled them out of storage last week and started going through them with the intent to drive them.

On that note, where does one find parts for these oldtimers? Is the only path locating a parts car?

Mattallica0 08-31-2020 04:35 PM

cool, I have a built never run kyosho Assault and i think its great, its like a museum piece

Hotshot2! 11-27-2020 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by Svennebanan (Post 12543807)
Hi folks,

I'm a guy getting a bit old and even more so when I unpacked my never readily built Landjump from my childhood. 83?

Question to all - is this even considered to be a cool thing to have or just regarded as old crap?
Vintage cars seem quite common after all

I'm not sure if I should keep it or sell it - I won't use it at least.

what are your recommendations?

I would be interested in it....how much were you wanting for the Landjump?
thanks, Derek