RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Classic Cars & Trucks (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-classic-cars-trucks-513/)
-   -   Tamiya Wild Willy 2 Resource Thread! (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-classic-cars-trucks-513/4086777-tamiya-wild-willy-2-resource-thread.html)

Kitsune 02-17-2008 11:32 AM

RE: Wild Willy 2 w/ pics

1 Attachment(s)
I finally got the electronics back into WW2! I gave it a short drive in the basement and the power is phenomenal. I'm either going to have to find a very mild power curve setup, or just learn to go easy on the throdle. Doing a little jumping with it too, and I can already see the benifits of the new suspension arms and shocks. Suspension works a lot smoother than it used to, even when I did have oil shocks on it. Hopefully the weather will get better soon so I can take it outside to see the top speed and how it handles a higher grip pavement.

rcluke 02-17-2008 01:19 PM

ORIGINAL: Kitsune

I finally got the electronics back into WW2! I gave it a short drive in the basement and the power is phenomenal. I'm either going to have to find a very mild power curve setup, or just learn to go easy on the throdle. Doing a little jumping with it too, and I can already see the benifits of the new suspension arms and shocks. Suspension works a lot smoother than it used to, even when I did have oil shocks on it. Hopefully the weather will get better soon so I can take it outside to see the top speed and how it handles a higher grip pavement.
nice, i am seriously considering getting one in the place of my lunchbox

Kitsune 02-17-2008 01:26 PM

I don't know exactly how it compares to a Lunchbox, but I think it's a pretty fun truck. I think the transmission may be a bit stronger than the Lunchbox.

mrbonez 02-17-2008 01:30 PM

sweet pic,s soo how many models do you have lunchboxer ?? LoL you are like a building MACHINE !!!!

rcluke 02-17-2008 01:31 PM

this would have been a good buy, shame i missed it :(

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...MEWA:IT&ih=004

rcluke 02-17-2008 01:32 PM

ORIGINAL: mrbonez

sweet pic,s soo how many models do you have lunchboxer ?? LoL you are like a building MACHINE !!!!
he has more than his sig shows, because he can't fit them on lol.

he isnt that much of a building machine, he starts building them, then gets bored and leaves them (joke...but true...hehehe:):))

Lunchboxer 02-17-2008 11:33 PM

I'd have to say the LB tranny is probably one of the strongest RC tranny out there...

Big gears, big gear diff, 6mm steel axle.. I think it is gonna be hard to beat its toughness..

WW-2 has independent suspension and all that.. while LB's is a solid axle.. so what it lacks in performance, it makes it up in durability!! :D

I don't know exactly how it compares to a Lunchbox, but I think it's a pretty fun truck. I think the transmission may be a bit stronger than the Lunchbox.

Lunchboxer 02-17-2008 11:34 PM

Luke is right.. I am a broken machine at best..... :D

But come on, I finish my builds sometimes.... ha!

Yeah, I am not sure how many RCs I have.. probably around 25-30 range?? [:@]

ORIGINAL: rcluke

ORIGINAL: mrbonez

he has more than his sig shows, because he can't fit them on lol.

he isnt that much of a building machine, he starts building them, then gets bored and leaves them (joke...but true...hehehe:):))

paintstikker 02-17-2008 11:45 PM

I finally got the electronics back into WW2! I gave it a short drive in the basement and the power is phenomenal. I'm either going to have to find a very mild power curve setup, or just learn to go easy on the throdle. Doing a little jumping with it too, and I can already see the benifits of the new suspension arms and shocks. Suspension works a lot smoother than it used to, even when I did have oil shocks on it. Hopefully the weather will get better soon so I can take it outside to see the top speed and how it handles a higher grip pavement.http://image2-3.rcuniverse.com/e1/fo...01/Tr51243.jpg
Hehe, first that Wild Willy is too clean, and the last time I had a venom pack in mine it caught on fire.[:@]

Actually, you could have gotten a 17.5, for it, but the 13.5 should be fine.

Kitsune 02-18-2008 10:38 AM

I'll keep and eye on the temperature with that pack. Thanks for the warning.

I didn't see the 17.5 on Tower. Still, I think I'll get used to the extra power and top speed, ha ha! :D

Lunchboxer 02-18-2008 10:51 AM

I want to see XBR 8.5 on a WW-2!! :D

jeepnhal 02-19-2008 07:24 PM

prsonally i beat my lunchbox and wild willy 2 ALOT.i tear up alot of ww2 trannys,but have never hurt a lunchboxes.just my experience.

cornel4web 02-20-2008 06:00 AM

1 Attachment(s)
brothers in arms...:D:D:D

cornel4web 02-20-2008 06:04 AM

where can I found 2 WW2 front wheels for replacing the broken one for my MP? the exterior just pulled off from the axels, and doesn't look broke, but don't stay there any more...[:-]

Lunchboxer 02-20-2008 08:26 AM

Yeah, I broke one of my LB's front wheel as well..

I use either the WW-2 front wheel, or the HPI wheel... !!

Yeah, usually I don't see the front for sale.. time for another WW-2 kit.. hee!

Kitsune 02-22-2008 08:42 PM

I got a chance to take my brushless setup outside today. It's not as fast (top speed) outside as it seemed in my basement, but the power (torque) is still as impressive. It seems much more stable in the turns that it did before. I think that's mostly due to the lack of an heavy plastic body, but I imagaine the new suspension helps some too. I took it close to top speed and gave it hard, full turn without it rolling. That's on dry pavement too!

I still need to route some wires better and get a body on it. I'll get some pictures and do some more test drives then too.

Lunchboxer 02-22-2008 08:45 PM

Let's see some video, Kitsune!!

Kitsune 02-23-2008 05:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Now with the body actually mounted. Yeah, I have to admit it's kind of odd looking, but at least it's something less prone to damage than the original.

Kitsune 02-23-2008 06:07 PM

Some video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9kYjbYEIvg

Lunchboxer 02-24-2008 08:34 AM

Nice Kitsune! Certainly not to take anything away from your suspension mod, but the lexan shell probably contribute to majority of the performance gain! That got to lower the CG by a lot!

Great for bashing for sure!

Maybe in the future get a 8.5 Pro motor and swap it out to play with?! hee hee.. that will give you serious speed... :D

I assume that you are running 18T pinion?! If you think the speed is lacking, you can always put the 20T in it.. that's what I do w/ my Titan 12T... it has torque to spare so I ran 20T to get some speed...

Kitsune 02-24-2008 10:47 AM

Thanks!
Yeah, I can't deny that the shell is the biggest factor in the handling.
Actually, I am already running a 20T pinion in it. I might go up to a 10.5, but I'm not really looking for too much more speed out of it. I think my RS4 Rally or MT would be a better choice for a faster brushless setup.

I got to driving it in the snow yesterday. We've got an icy crust of snow with a layer of light stuff on top, which is good for even a 2WD like WW2. You get some traction with the light stuff (the deep chevrons acting sort of like paddles) and the ice under it keeps the truck from sinking down too far. It's pretty cool to see it making wide drifts across the yard with a roost of snow behind it. I only got stuck once and then I just got my brother to give me a nudge out with his E-Savage.

I'll see if I can get some half decent video today. It's hard to get good footage with a camera not meant for video, plus the brighness of the snow makes it hard to see.

rcluke 02-24-2008 11:36 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Now with the body actually mounted. Yeah, I have to admit it's kind of odd looking, but at least it's something less prone to damage than the original.
NICE, it looks like my lunchbox subaru impreza

jeepnhal 02-27-2008 04:52 PM

heres some shots of my ww2.bought it about 7 or 8 years ago and its been lots of fun ever since.all stock except green machine 2.probaly gonna leave it this way for a while unless i get a great deal on an esc and thats it.i just have fun with this one,its always ready to go.theese are from today before i ran 6 battery packs through it.sorry i cant take action pics to save my life,so heres some poser shots

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y17...ldwilly009.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y17...ldwilly010.jpg

Lunchboxer 02-27-2008 04:59 PM

Where's Willy?!

Oh yeah, we need the short bumper.... :D

jeepnhal 02-27-2008 05:03 PM

ORIGINAL: Lunchboxer

Where's Willy?!

Oh yeah, we need the short bumper.... :D
willy......well willy went awol.actually he didnt like the ww2 so he jumped in my ww1
ha short bumpers around here somewhere