Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Combat
Reload this Page >

4-5 pilots ready to try combat this weekend.

Community
Search
Notices
RC Combat Discuss rc combat planes, techniques and strategies here.

4-5 pilots ready to try combat this weekend.

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2010, 02:13 PM
Popriv

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4-5 pilots ready to try combat this weekend.

I started learning to cut foam wings last january. I've cut dozens of wings and sold about 7 short kits to club members.
We finally have 5 pilots flying, 2 more almost ready and another 3-4 interested. this weekend we should get 4 planes up there for the 1st time.
I like the advice to have one pilot act as a target with the others going after his ribbon. two of us have been flying the battle axe for awhile, the other guys are going to have to do some trimming and get used to the planes. I put mine into the tree tops last week and had to climb a ladder and throw a rope about 50 times before I hooked it and pulled it down. No damage, fueled it up and flew.

I went out and bought this sling shot that shoots tennis balls. I mounted a fishing reel to it and can accuratly shoot a line right where I want it.
I also put a beeper in the Axe.

should be fun this weekend

steve
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge96299.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	162.3 KB
ID:	1506107  
Old 09-24-2010, 02:36 PM
draftman1

Default RE: 4-5 pilots ready to try combat this weekend.

cool, have a great time!

another fun thing to do is, get a large plane that can drop a roll of toilet paper or two, get really high up and let them go, at different times. the TP will hang in the air along time. get the guys to try to cut it as its floating down, its tons of fun!
Old 09-24-2010, 06:44 PM
outdoorhunting

Please,please, PLEASE!!! Have someone take a video & post it !! PLEASE!!
Old 09-27-2010, 05:22 PM
Popriv

Sorry, couldnt get any good video. can hardly see the planes..
5 guys showed up with battle axes..
1 couldnt keep his engine running, was playing with a bladder then swapped that out but it still would quit after a few minutes in the air.
1 had a crack in his wing and had to drop out.
1 guy had to leave early....
But, it was a good first day, we all got a little more practice.

Then I added 2 sided tape to my wings LE and I took off. while waiting for the 2nd plane to launch I remembered reading how vulnerable you are at launch so As this guy was taking off I swooped in for a cut..
I caught his ribbon with my wing and pulled the whole 30 feet off. A small roar from the crowd behind us! This was a first... I could try the same move 20 times and I bet I wouldnt have gotten him... right now it seems to be all luck? It looked great though as it was low and right in front of the crowd.
I had trouble flying with his ribbon draped over my wing. How does it work? would I normaly try to keep flying for the 5 minute time? To get more points? as it was I landed right away...

We will try again next week....

Steve
Old 09-27-2010, 10:50 PM
draftman1

oh man, that sounded like fun! thats combat, engines dont run right sometimes, plane problems, etc....
good move on the launch swoop! the steamer really affects the ssc birds, we hope it gets cut off, falls off or we just try to fly with it on,

video is very hard. to much movement

congrats on your first event, keep it up!
Old 09-27-2010, 11:43 PM
davidgeorge212

Combat is fun but very brutal at our field. I went this whole year without crashing one airplane. Last weekend was our ssc combat meet and I came to the field with 3 combat planes. I walked away with 3 unflyable piles of balsa wood and airplane parts. We had about 5 ot 6 planes in each heat and it was like a swarm of minnows in a fishbowl. I got mid-aired about 5 times and managed to survive a few of them but I went through all three of my combat planes. It was all worth it in the end though because it is very fun and addictive and I ended up getting third place (4pts. away from second).