Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Combat
Reload this Page >

Air Combat, Giant scale fun fly

Community
Search
Notices
RC Combat Discuss rc combat planes, techniques and strategies here.

Air Combat, Giant scale fun fly

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2011, 04:38 PM
ctrout

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air Combat, Giant scale fun fly

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUbNVuS_-3Q

With a lot of years in developing and testing to make something work that was worth looking at this is what we came up with.<o></o>

We started with the idea that using infrared was the best way even if it is not very good in the sun light. The use of infrared was desired because of its expense (cheep) and knowing what to use as effects to show damage was also in part locking down the infrared over other gun type emitter ideas. Starting with the need for slow flying aircraft big enough to be worth looking at and keep the needed extra parts on board to release when the attacking plane hits the target plane. Make the plane about the size of a pickup truck bed. 4 or 5 years of building a cheap huge foam base plane that will have cavity’s to hold ribbons produced some of the most discouraging years in my model building life but a sensible design emerged.<o></o>

The planes are built using foam cores with varying thickness fiberglass skins. Hotwire cutting the foam makes the plugs quickly and adding the painted fiberglass skin is also quick and simple.<o></o>

The size and speed of the planes needed to do combat was clear after using small fast planes in testing the infrared systems. A number of us gave it a try with almost no luck keeping the 2 planes in a flight path with turns. Giant scale was the only way to do this in my mind.<o></o>

Before many of the rules now in place the use of video flight was also in my mind. It’s going to be needed to saddle up on the other plane to get a good line of site for the infra-red. As the need to build slow planes the thickness of view areas for the IR receiver, emitter, video gear, a lot of ribbons, release devises and some type of extra safety devises for the close nature of combat.<o></o>

Theory of combat engagement.<o></o>

The need for 2 pilots for each aircraft. One to fly the plane in line of site and the other to make adjustments to the flight path for the infra-red.<o></o>

The theory is for the video pilot to see the effects from the infrared releasing parts from the opponent’s aircraft in day or more to the point Night fight. The use of reflection tape glimmering in the light of the video camera as they are released from the target plane. White light reflecting off of the reflection tape gives the illusion of fire without any incineration.

Hope you all like the build.
Yep, we are having fun!

Old 12-20-2011, 08:14 AM
ctrout

Default RE: Air Combat, Giant scale fun fly

Not much time to post with my every day job but I am posting a build in a small forum run by the mod from the AMA site called air rc.
He is good about not letting threads got trashed when the op is not posting every day.
 It seems from attempts in the past you cant post a link in this site to any other forum.
If you would like to attempt a build like this its easy for the most part.
Biulding something smaller to stay within the AMA rules is best if your using club fields but many of the ideas in this design can be used.

Have a good one.
PM if you need the link.
Trout

Old 12-20-2011, 08:37 AM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

This is very impressive...! It's easy to see that you love what you're doing and you have a hobby within a hobby that has no limits...no "dead end", so to speak.

I think the idea of having the planes "barf up" junk when they get hit is ingenious.
I'll be sure to check out your build thread. I'm always interested in seeing different ways to work with foam.
Old 12-20-2011, 09:13 AM
Clean

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Thank you for starting a thread .  When you get time a few more photo links and video.  The one linked does show a bit but it's a big combo thread, I didn't hear much explanation and my work internet made it so choppy that really it was like watching old Super8's I'll try a little later at home.  I think your AMA thread might have some more info if I have the right one there.  It would be interesting to talk about.  The large size for combat makes me wonder.  AMA setback is 500 feet per cubic inch.  so a 50cc engine would put you out at 1500 feet.  WOW, that's a long way and hard to patrol.  But you are talking a little different method of combat so I don't know what the AMA would say bout that.  Like I said, I haven't been through the AMA thread yet but have lunchtime to look at it. 

From the surface, it kinda looks like the complete opposite of HOR SSC combat, but my money limitations don't prescribe the operations of others.  I'll peruse and see if I can find some questions.
Old 12-20-2011, 09:17 AM
Clean

Oops, sorry, that's the wrong link.  Here's the Combat Simulation Build thread thread at the www.air-rc.com  forum.
Old 12-20-2011, 09:50 AM
Clean

yea, I'm just bumping around in the dark there.   Man you do love them storage containers.  Looks like a good, if not kinda bland looking, field storage container.  I know a club in Omaha that uses one and some folks that were using it during a tornado.  Evidently they've never seen the pictures of those things flying in the air.  So if you can get back here and post some more info, it would be cool.  Thems some big planes.  Is that Akk akk you were trying to imitate?  You know, basic stuff. 
Old 12-20-2011, 10:14 AM
ctrout

I wish I had time to talk when I'm at work but I can't. fridays are my best days to keep up with this. I am a container dealer, the airplanes are a love.
All the pics are out of date planes but Arbo site will have a few of the new ones.
I have years of all this I am just stuck with little time to talk about it.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us55312.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	1702583  
Old 12-20-2011, 10:41 AM
Clean

I saw in one post that fridays were you're build days.  Hopefully you'll get a chance to add some info here before you head out to build, or after.  That you're making an effort pleases me.  Fact is, you're not getting much recognition from the guarded site.  If you're ready to go public you'll need to bring it out to other sites.  I saw some conversations over on the AMA site and posts to the point of, big AMA names mind you, I don't go here, I don't go there, it's counter productive, whatever. 

Tis true.  I feel in your case you have been needing to run a log to show development/progress with your idea not necessarily have input from those of us out here on the web.  But there comes a time where you will have to interact with the masses.  Yea, I've had sites I couldn't go to that had personalities that I just had to much background information with that I couldn't deal with them.  Internet is wonderful that it can be such a large place.  But sooner or later you need to bring the idea out to more folks.  Shoot, we still get people over on SPADworld that never have heard of SPAD's.  Reminds me of Mel Brook's movie 'Too Be or not to Be' where the main characters are 'World Famous, in Poland'.

Hope to see some good shots n video n stats on Friday.  Go make money.
Old 12-20-2011, 08:59 PM
ctrout

Just to make it clear why I gave up in here I have attempted to post links and other helpful things in here and this -
To: ctrout
Date: 12/7/2011 4:06 AM
Subject: Your post has been moved

Your post titled: clubs after supplys dry up (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=10847062)
has been moved from
AMA Discussions (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/tt.asp?forumid=74) to
Containment Forum (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/tt.asp?forumid=51)
Reason:You may not post links to competing sites

Is common

This post is months old. and after all the other events...
I hope you understand.

This is the same thread without the link, Thinking it may be helpful, ..ended this way-
(http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10847770/tm.htm)

The build will be in Arbo site.
I hope you can use something from the build.
Clayton

Old 12-20-2011, 09:44 PM
Clean

You can't post any photo's here or RCGroups are any other websites?  You want me to go to your friends website only and if I don't, well then I'm not wanted?

Fine.  Looked like an interesting project.  Way to rich for my blood and frankly, looked like an overly complex setup to replace cheap, disposable aircraft with 30 cents of streamer on them.  But I was willing to see it in operation.  if I have to go to your buddies forum to see it, then that's where it will die. 
To quote from your mobile club run hobby shop thread and Red,
"bad ideas don't get better with age."

Another analogy.  The Americans spent millions developing a pen that would work in outer space.  The Russians used a Pencil.  You're doing with thousands in limited areas with even more limited participants what is done by many, every weekend, with a couple pennys of materials.  And you won't even share WHY your way of doing things is better EXCEPT in your own little world where your friend won't let a bunch of negative ninnys pick apart your idea.  Even if it stinks.  That CAN'T be what you're after can it?  Understand, I'm confused by your lack of desire to share, your ability to safely link to other sites without getting the compete statements (and frankly, that's all you've done is try to get us to a competing site while I've posted links to threads there for knowledge purposes with no complaints because I keep asking for discussion HERE where anyone who has purused this combat forum can ask you questions.  I understand the "i'm too busy during the week and even the "I can't post during work" slight jab there"  Then again, you certainly had time to read about it and type that you were too busy to converse about it when just saying"  I'll post pictues when I get a chance, probably Friday. would do.

Can you see why I'm confused, suspicious and just flabbergasted?  I've never met somebody with the answer to all my questions that was so unwilling to go on and on and on about it.  Trust me, I've had Jehovah witnesses on my doorstep before.  Nice people, just won't shut up about it.

I was looking forward to your setup.  I see only the RCCombat version of Mohlerrs fling car concept.  That hasn't been going on 8 years like your idea.  That has been going on close to 40 years with tons of abandoned investors and only the same demo vehicle that he's had since the late 80's AND a continual spot in Popular Mechanics.  In short, it's a scam.  Even if it worked there never will be flying cars allowed in the airspace.  How many cars do you see in trouble at the side of the road.  With flying cars that would be car fulls of people plummeting to their deaths, every hour, every day.
Your concept would at least be do-able by a limited group of people with the means to produce and afford such planes.

Prove me wrong I beg you. 
Old 12-20-2011, 10:40 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I really like that cammo-job on the plane in the foreground in post 7......[8D]!!
Old 12-21-2011, 11:36 AM
ctrout

ORIGINAL: combatpigg

I really like that cammo-job on the plane in the foreground in post 7......[8D]!!
Thanks Combat.
You can build the whole plane for 400.00 buck and use chann 4 and 5 to release the 4 trays of parts.
Hobby kings 52cc will fly the bird very nice.
no one needs all the other parts unless its to show the event on the internet. Imadethe 88mm cannons RC with FPV to see the show up in your face style lol
Let me know if you would like to see this years show and I will PM you the private player you will need.
If Iget everything built in time.
clayton