Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Combat
Reload this Page >

OS 25 FX v. Magnum 25 XLS for Combat

Notices
RC Combat Discuss rc combat planes, techniques and strategies here.

OS 25 FX v. Magnum 25 XLS for Combat

Old 11-26-2014, 05:30 AM
Mikie 1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OS 25 FX v. Magnum 25 XLS for Combat

Hey everybody! I belong to an RC club that wants to get into combat. Several guys have already started down the path of SSC planes with 15 size engines. I have flown SSC, in that regard, for several years and had a lot of fun doing it. But, I'm wanting to encourage them, and others in the club, to maybe think about combat in a rather old fashion area of the foam-wing Gremlin with a 25 size engine. I know several of the guys have mentioned they already have dust-covered, stuck-in-the-corner-of-the-shop, older Gremlins and I am wondering what to suggest as a good strong reliable engine. And I'm looking at the OS 25 FX (at $129) v. the Magnum 25 XLS (at $79) and am wondering if the OS is really worth the extra cost.
Maybe I've missed some other 25 size engines that would be a good choice as well, but I haven't been able to locate any that might meet up to the quality standards of those mentioned above.
Having said that, I do own a Magnum 25 XLS (installed on a Sig Wonder) and have been very happy with it, but don't know if the OS is worth the extra cost. Any info you guys can forward to me (and our club) will be greatly appreciated.

Happy Thanksgiving!!
Mike
Old 11-26-2014, 05:58 AM
j.duncker
My Feedback: (2)

Buy the Magnum for now and if the combat thing takes off and you need to be the fastest kid on the block get one of these http://www.westonuk.co.uk/westonuk2_021.htm
Old 11-28-2014, 11:11 AM
sarpet

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Idont like magnum, asp, ph, sc .25 engines.
Weston is high guality beautiful engine, but it is strong only with somekind of tuned pipe.
My best osfx.25 with some tuning work and hatori muffler revs 15900rpm 15% nitro apc 9x5 prop.
But iuse engines aces 1:12 combat planes , rules determine the muffler size, type, prop size, max ground rpm and all type pipes are prohibited.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20140427_154816.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	1.66 MB
ID:	2050699  
Old 12-03-2014, 05:45 AM
Mikie 1

Thanks guys for your replies.
I did buy the Magnum 25 XLS engine. As I noted before this is the second one I own and the first one is still a strong and fast engine. I typically fly it (on a Sig Wonder) with a 9x6 APC prop. I haven't tacked the top-end so I don't know what the high-end prop speed is, but I would guess it over 16,500.
I did look at the West engines and found them to be intriguing - expensive, but interesting.
Thanks for your help.
Old 12-03-2014, 06:58 AM
aspeed

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Depending on the rules you have, we fly .25 LA races, and use an 8-6" MA prop as the only option. Mine runs about 15,500 rpm. My AX .25 is a bit better at about 17,400. and the Norvel .25 is in between. I would bet the XLS would like that prop a bit better than a 9-6". Maybe a 9-5" for combat? Just thinkin out loud. I am also thinking of getting an XLS/ASP .25 some day.
Old 12-07-2014, 04:19 PM
badger5964
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We fly a bunch of combat on 25 at our club. The OS 25 FX is perferred. I have run the Magnum, ASP and OS. I understand the Magnum and ASP are the same. However both magnums run as well as the OS, But one ASP is a just off from the rest of the lot. Perhaps the Magnum name gets better Quality Control But with all the abuse I have worn out the last OS FX. I can buy two or three for the price of a OS 25FX..

I run the ASP or Magnum. Make sure you get the XLS with the square head, previous versions were a lesser machine.
Old 12-08-2014, 01:25 PM
DaneMcGee

The Magnum 25 XLS and a OS 25FX are very comparable. The XLS is very strong and will turn up as high as the FX. I use both and notice no considerable difference except price.