Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Combat
Reload this Page >

Planes for 1/12 scale, resources?

Notices
RC Combat Discuss rc combat planes, techniques and strategies here.

Planes for 1/12 scale, resources?

Old 08-01-2016, 09:33 AM
dave_anderson
My Feedback: (47)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Planes for 1/12 scale, resources?

Hi folks,

Sorry if this has been covered. I'm wondering what is a typical kit/plan/arf used for scale combat these days? The club I just joined does a monthly combat meet, including scale. I went to the place I used to purchase ALL my 1/12 scale kits years ago (JK Aerotek) and like so many other suppliers, gone away. Looks like all but one Great Planes combat ARF has gone too.

I can only think some other, more convenient or cheaper option must have come along. What is the common resource for scale combat planes in 2016?

Thanks, Dave
Old 08-01-2016, 04:25 PM
aspeed

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

There is/was a guy from around here that made some pretty good ones. The club there has somewhat fizzled, but he still will likely cut out some if you can find him. Johnny G was his name on the RC Canada forum. You would have to search him out somehow. He had a variety of WW1 and WW2 stuff for fairly reasonable CNC milled corro stuff. The cheap dollar may make up for the shipping. What are the guys in your club using?

Last edited by aspeed; 08-01-2016 at 04:29 PM.
Old 08-01-2016, 06:13 PM
dave_anderson

Test
Old 08-01-2016, 06:31 PM
j.duncker
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is reasonably easy to cut your own from urethane foam Low aspect ratio stuff like Spitfires Spitefuls and Hellcats can be covered in brown paper and PVA for a strong cheap and easy to repair weapon.

Focke Wulf TA 152 s need glass ob the wings and some on the fuz this was my weapon of choice.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ta 152.jpg
Views:	1248
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	2175451   Click image for larger version

Name:	P6140001.JPG
Views:	1588
Size:	414.1 KB
ID:	2175452  
Old 08-01-2016, 06:33 PM
dave_anderson

Weird. Phone does weird stuff when posting on RCU.
Old 08-01-2016, 06:35 PM
dave_anderson

Originally Posted by j.duncker
It is reasonably easy to cut your own from urethane foam Low aspect ratio stuff like Spitfires Spitefuls and Hellcats can be covered in brown paper and PVA for a strong cheap and easy to repair weapon.

Focke Wulf TA 152 s need glass ob the wings and some on the fuz this was my weapon of choice.

Very nice!
Old 08-04-2016, 07:39 AM
RACE 66

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I too was scrounging around for 1/12th built up models, as my club for the last 10 years have raced two pole pylon. Just last year in contact with AirKill, I was able to procure several kits for racing.
Jeff Weiss the owner was very helpful in getting me the right products to me. Right now I have the Rare Bear racer on the building board getting ready for the finals in September. Give him a try.
Below is a link on Airkill.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-c...ming-back.html

Mike
"ck yur 6"
Old 08-04-2016, 08:23 AM
dave_anderson

Thanks Mike!
Old 08-14-2016, 06:28 AM
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Airkill models were based on the Gus Morfis designs. I think he changed the airfoil, which I would recommend. Full symmetrical not good on these models. Kits can be had here.

http://lazer-works.com/gus.html

I just got an order from him last week and it is great. He might have plans as well if you ask. Good luck
Old 08-15-2016, 08:22 AM
mgnostic

Received 83 Likes on 71 Posts

I'll second what Vertical Grimmace says. Lazer-works also has an Arsenal V-33 that is one of my favorite planes. It is an old RCM design and the plans are available on the plans sharing websites.
Old 08-15-2016, 08:27 AM
dave_anderson

Thanks guys!
Old 08-17-2016, 07:12 AM
RACE 66

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Excellent V.Grimmace, I too have Lazor-works under my favorites, I had forgotten I had that listing. One thing about Airkill, as he provides the option of cowlings if needed (aka Bearcat) as I have 'several' that I had purchased. Either way you can't go wrong.

Mike
Old 08-29-2016, 10:49 AM
johng650

Johhyg.... That's me!

i have some kits...... P51, corsair, and k61 tony. Let me know what I can do to help.

My planes are all Coroplast with foam, 1/12 th scale. I'm on the road with work so don't have any pics. All the hard stuff is done for you, comes with every thing to build the airframe and I also made instructions with photos. All the plywood and Coroplast is CNC cut.

john

Last edited by johng650; 08-29-2016 at 10:54 AM.
Old 08-29-2016, 11:00 AM
johng650

I also forgot I have a mk9 spitfire..... See the link below, it will give you a good I idea of what's involved.

http://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/showthread.php?t=82294
Old 10-20-2016, 09:22 AM
aspeed

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I got one of your Mustangs at the London swap meet. It looks pretty good. Very solid fuse. It came with a .25 FX. that I think is new. The plane is partially built.
Old 12-10-2016, 03:12 PM
dm8221

Hello 1/12 combat flyers

I have a new Pica 1/12 combat zero if interested send me a pm

Cheers Don
Old 01-22-2017, 04:27 PM
Champstarr

1/12 Scale is alive and well here in Oahu, Hawaii. Just finished our first contest of the year. A local guy here makes some of the best combat planes I've seen and flown. He makes Mig-3s, P51s, Spitfires and a twin tail Swiss. Fly great and are very durable. He charges $80 - $100. Attached are pics of my Dallas Cowboy themed Mustang and Migs. Another flyer has built a few planes based on the Gus Morfis plans. He built me a sweet looking Mustang but I haven't flown in yet so I can't attest to it's airworthiness but I think it will fly fine. If you want to buy some composite ARFs then rmk-models.com has a decent selection but they are in the UK and you will pay a 21% premiuim due to the exchange rate. A friend of mine just ordered one from them but hasn't received it yet so I can't review yet.

It's really sad GP dropped their combat ARFs. I have pestered them with a couple of emails asking and suggesting a new combat ARF. A lot of times with these ARFs it's nothing to do with the popularity of the item but the tooling at the factory to make them as was the case with Hangar 9's Bf-109 ARF. Also MAC no longer makes their tuned pipe for our Nitro engines . Due to the passing of the owner. Looks like we have to get more and more creative to keep RC combat alive.

I fly electric, nitro and gas planes of all sizes and scales and by far 1/12 combat flying is the funnest flying there is especially when you have a good group of guys.

Name:	IMG_3381.JPG
Views:	1509
Size:	3.26 MB
ID:	2197737   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3392.JPG
Views:	1218
Size:	2.62 MB
ID:	2197738  
Old 01-23-2017, 05:31 AM
j.duncker

Originally Posted by Champstarr
1/12 Scale is alive and well here in Oahu, Hawaii. Just finished our first contest of the year. A local guy here makes some of the best combat planes I've seen and flown. He makes Mig-3s, P51s, Spitfires and a twin tail Swiss. Fly great and are very durable. He charges $80 - $100. Attached are pics of my Dallas Cowboy themed Mustang and Migs. Another flyer has built a few planes based on the Gus Morfis plans. He built me a sweet looking Mustang but I haven't flown in yet so I can't attest to it's airworthiness but I think it will fly fine. If you want to buy some composite ARFs then rmk-models.com has a decent selection but they are in the UK and you will pay a 21% premiuim due to the exchange rate. A friend of mine just ordered one from them but hasn't received it yet so I can't review yet.

It's really sad GP dropped their combat ARFs. I have pestered them with a couple of emails asking and suggesting a new combat ARF. A lot of times with these ARFs it's nothing to do with the popularity of the item but the tooling at the factory to make them as was the case with Hangar 9's Bf-109 ARF. Also MAC no longer makes their tuned pipe for our Nitro engines . Due to the passing of the owner. Looks like we have to get more and more creative to keep RC combat alive.

I fly electric, nitro and gas planes of all sizes and scales and by far 1/12 combat flying is the funnest flying there is especially when you have a good group of guys.

Hi I am with you in thinking that RC combat is serious fun.

Looking at the engine in the first pic it looks like a Weston 25 with a mini pipe. AFAIK Weston UK still make mini pipes for that engine. In fact they will custom make any pipe you can specify.

See http://www.westonuk.co.uk/westonuk2_186.htm
Old 01-23-2017, 11:28 AM
Champstarr

Originally Posted by j.duncker
Hi I am with you in thinking that RC combat is serious fun.

Looking at the engine in the first pic it looks like a Weston 25 with a mini pipe. AFAIK Weston UK still make mini pipes for that engine. In fact they will custom make any pipe you can specify.

See http://www.westonuk.co.uk/westonuk2_186.htm

Thanks for sharing that resource. Yes they do have the correct mini pipes.

The engine on my Cowboy plane is a NovaRossi with a mac mini pipe and mousse can. The cylinder head is a similar color to the Weston engine you mention.

Only draw back to ordering from the UK is that we pay a premium to cover the exchange rate but it's not like a need a ton of them.

RC flying seems to be a big deal Europe. Thank goodness for that!

Name:	IMG_3382.JPG
Views:	1315
Size:	4.08 MB
ID:	2197858  
Old 01-24-2017, 05:16 AM
j.duncker

The pound is sinking fast.
Old 01-25-2017, 12:28 AM
Old Erkki