Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Combat
Reload this Page >

Lanier Ripper, didn't like the first day of spring.

Notices
RC Combat Discuss rc combat planes, techniques and strategies here.

Lanier Ripper, didn't like the first day of spring.

Old 03-28-2004, 12:24 AM
rcfury
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lanier Ripper, didn't like the first day of spring.

[:@] Today i decided to fly my Lanier Ripper for its flight after a long drawn out winter break. Charged the batteries, put everything back where i last had it from the last time i had it in the air, and rechecked CG.
It just wont fly now!!!! First toss, I didn't throw it hard enough, crashed in the groud. Second toss, flew for 20 feet, then started banking hard to the right, tried to correct and boom, in the ground. Fixed the prop cleaned it off. Third Toss. Very hard running start. Climbed out very nicely, same thing hard bank to the right, tried to correct and BOOM!!! right in the ground..
What has just happened. Its flying like crap. Seemed to me that it just wasn't getting enough airspeed and it tip stalls. when i tryed to give some left aileron to counter it, no good. I did nothing differant than the last time.. I think it didn't feel like flying today! It kinda seems like the vert stab wasn't doing it's job, and the torque of the motor is just flipping it over.

Oh well, time to buy more coroplast.
Old 03-28-2004, 05:30 AM
Pils

Default RE: Lanier Ripper, didn't like the first day of spring.

Any chance the aileron servo is reversed? From what you've described that's what I would check first....
Old 03-28-2004, 08:58 AM
Demon

ORIGINAL: rcfury

It kinda seems like the vert stab wasn't doing it's job, and the torque of the motor is just flipping it over.
The engine's torque would have turned it to the left. Check the radio and, as Pils suggests, the aileron servo direction.

HTH,
D
Old 03-28-2004, 10:22 AM
1Jimbo
My Feedback: (2)

Do you have enough power? I never have to THROW my planes, just a little farward shove should do it. Also check what they said.
Old 03-28-2004, 08:12 PM
thojo

yep either ailerons are reversed, or not throwing it into the wind. down wind launches will do that too..
Old 03-28-2004, 09:04 PM
rcfury

Well.. yeah that would have been my first option on checking the ailerons being reversed . Also what i check for during preflight. So they were traveling in the right direction. On rolling left: left aileron goes up and right aileron goes down.
I have noticed after the crash that the, on the side the aileron goes up, it doesn't go up as far as it goes down. Will that be a problem?

As for 1Jimbo saying that i dont have enough power. This is an Open A class combat plane, running OS .15 cva, spinning as MAS 7X4 prop. Plane weighs exactly 2.5 lbs with empty tank. Dont know how that can be.
Do you think i need a little more alerion reflex?
Old 03-29-2004, 08:44 AM
1Jimbo
My Feedback: (2)

I didn't say you didn't have enough power, I asked if you did. I have a freind that had that same problem at the Paris contest with two planes he flew hundreds of times before with no problems. We still don't know for sure what the problem was [&:]
Old 03-29-2004, 12:18 PM
Montague

You should have had plenty of power to climb vertically, or nearly so with that engine/prop with that weight. I'd say your engine was going lean on launch, so check your fuel system and go over the engine and make sure it's doing the right thing.

Also, check the fuse alignment, and make sure it's not bent. The HDPE fuses can get bent, which can cause some funky trim changes.

It also sounds like your aileron servo or RX battery might be funky.

You generally want more up than down on your ailerons, so having the reverse isn't good. It shouldn't cause that kind of problem by itself though.
Old 03-29-2004, 11:31 PM
bulletbob

You'all ain't got thee clunk pointed end forward have yee? Can happen in a crash and makes some funny running engines witih low fuel level. Hole in fuel line somewhere can also affect engine running. The combo you have should perform like a rocket.
Old 03-30-2004, 12:48 AM
rcfury

Thanks for all the responses...
today i individually checked all the servo's on the plane, everything seemed to check out fine. I also tested the battery and the connection see if they were any loose connections. I did see if i wiggled the wire right below the connector it did glitch a little. That could of caused it, if there was enough viberation. So i rather be safe then sorry and used another battery i had laying around that was just built.
I need to run to the hobbyshop to get some more props since they were all broken.. Speaking of!! I never set the thottle cut on this plane but, would it help save the prop on landings by cutting the throttle right before touch-down? If so how do you set it up? I tryed playing around with it but, never seemed to get it to work.
Old 03-30-2004, 07:00 AM
468hotrod
My Feedback: (4)

The prop on my Slasher is longer than the front leg of the plane so I kill the engine prior to landing to prevent the prop from striking the ground. First, make sure you have the prop properly timed on the engine. Rotate the prop counter-clockwise until you hit the compression of the engine. The prop should be horizontal or a little towards the "2 o-clock" position. That way when you kill the engine or run out of gas the wind blowing on the prop will keep it up against the compression and keep it at a horizontal level so it won't strike the ground when landing.

I don't know which radio you have but if it is a computer radio with a "Throttle Cut" it is easy to do. I have a 9CAP. I program my throttle cut on the spring-loaded "Trainer" switch. It has a percentage on the programming. I always put in the maximum 40%. That closes the carb barrel the farthest and should get any engine from an idle to completely closed off and will kill the engine.

I hope that helps.

Ray
Old 03-30-2004, 09:56 AM
Montague

I set up my engines so the carb can be completely closed from the throttle lever. It's amazing how much dirt you can keep out of the engine by pulling back the throttle before impact. A spring loaded switch is a good idea for a quick throttle kill, but if the throttle opens back up before impact, it wouldn't be as good.

With the MAS props, I usually set the prop to be horizontal when the engine dies, but sometimes I don't bother. If you land smootly enough with the engine dead, the prop will frequently just move out of the way and not break. I've even landed engine-on with out breaking the prop, and that was with planes that don't have a skid, so the engine is much closer to the ground. It can be done, you just have to bring it in real smooth.
Old 03-30-2004, 02:46 PM
rcfury

468hotrod- My radio is the model right before your 9cap, I have the 8UA. I can set the precentages on the radio but when i flip the switch nothing happens. Should I adjust the trim of the throttle to where i want to run without the swtich on, then when i flip the switch it will close? Ill look at it a little more see if i can figure it out. I want to get to the field again and see if i fixed the problem of the plane not flying.

Ill keep in touch...
Old 03-30-2004, 08:19 PM
rcfury

Today i went back to the field to check out my plane.. Everything went fine. I really havn't figured out what happend. I checked everything over and it flew fine..
Had a little issues being launched but, it went ok. Plane took off like a bat out of hell!!
Thanks for everything!!!!
Old 03-31-2004, 02:26 PM
Montague

Any chance of seeing you up here in MD? First contest of the season for the MD-VA area is this Sunday up here.
Old 03-31-2004, 02:49 PM
rcfury

Montague:
Hate to say this, as how much i want to start competing I wont beable to make it up on Sunday. They have me working on that day. Also im in the middle of building a new wing core for it.
Thanks for the offer! what is your schuldule like, I can make another meeting!!!
Old 03-31-2004, 02:56 PM
Montague

Check out www.MidAtlanticCombat.com for the full local schedule (as I hear rumors of contests). At my club, we have a contest every other month, on the 1st sunday of the month, starting in April. So we will have another one June, then August and October. There are several A class (and two SSC) contests in VA in there as well. Lots of contests around here.
Old 03-31-2004, 05:01 PM
468hotrod
My Feedback: (4)

Hey Rcfury,

Make sure when you are on the throttle-cut screen that the "switch" is set to the appropriate switch you want to assign it to. I know you can assign any switch to any function on my 9CAP, I don't know if you can do that on the 8UA. The second thing you have to set is the UP/DOWN/NULL position for that switch. You want the throttle to be set with your throttle trim to the the normal idle level. When you pull up on the spring-loaded switch you want the throttle to close the rest of the way. In this example, you would set the switch for the "UP" position meaning that the throttle cut is activated when the switch is in the "UP" position. I hope this is clear.

Ray
Old 03-31-2004, 10:59 PM
rcfury

468hotrod,

I figured out the the thottle cut thing.. Strange thing is that, when I turn the thottle cut function on, nothing works. If i turn it off everything works out fine. So i just turned it off so it works. Very strange... I really think that if the channel is reversed it reverses the programming. I think its a futaba issue that may need to be looked at.
Also... You are so right about being sensitive to the elevator. I orginially had dual rates on all the channels but decided to take it off. Now thinking about it, think I should of left in on. at least for the elevator.. This is my first "combat" plane and im really not quite used to it yet. Totally differant flying ability then my ultra sport plus.
Old 04-01-2004, 07:56 PM
ejnester

I have 2 Rippers and flew them both for the first time on Sun. They fly GREAT. Look out Kirk these things will turn an a dime and give back 9 cents change.
Old 04-01-2004, 10:31 PM
rcfury

ejnester: oh yeah I agree with the turning radius on this plane. Very touchy on high rates!! Very beautiful. Though im not used to the handling on a plane like this. It will take me a few. Very fun though.
Old 04-02-2004, 01:24 PM
Montague

Earl,

You forget, I've flown tons of rounds against those planes in SSC, I'm quite familar with what they can and can't do.

And I'm not even the slightest bit worried. I'm sure they turn better than the tugs you flew last year, but I haven't lost a turning duel to one yet, and I'm not going to start on Sunday.

I should have 1 new fuse and wing, and 1 or 2 repaired (heavy) fuses and 3 repaired (heavy) wings ready for A class this weekend.
Old 07-02-2005, 08:59 AM
1980webrasped91

Hot rod
Im getting into combat and Im looking at the ripper or the shrike. I have a 9 cap radio to. Is the ripper a good durable plane? Im looking for something that will be easy to fix, durable and flys good.
I would appreciate any suggestions.
Thanks
Don
Old 07-03-2005, 01:21 AM
Montague

The shrike is not a good choice for combat, that's for sure.

Balsa is not your friend in combat. (well, except when you run in to another plane. Then, having the other guy's plane be balsa is convenient in that it greatly reduces any damage done to your plane. But it makes a heck of a mess.)

The Ripper is a good flying plane, and a solid choice for getting in to combat. It's not the hottest bird out there, but it's no slouch either, and you won't spend all your time trying to get it flying, or at least you shouldn't.

Btw, one issue I've seen with some guy's rippers is that somehow they get the spar sticking up, making a bump on top of the wing. I'm fairly sure that the bump hurts performance. I've seen this happen with more than one new guy, so it's something to watch out for.
Old 07-04-2005, 11:20 AM
Lou Melancon

I just had a chance to read through this thread. The beginning post about lack of power may have a simple reason. The prop may have been on backwards. I know it sounds silly but I've seen it done several times and the pilot couldn't figure out why his engine was screaming but the plane wasn't going anywhere.

The Ripper, as Kirk said, may not be the absolute hottest plane out there right now, that's ok because its available, can be built without any special tools, is reasonably priced, well engineered and performs well.