Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Combat
Reload this Page >

North Carolina Combat Group

Community
Search
Notices
RC Combat Discuss rc combat planes, techniques and strategies here.

North Carolina Combat Group

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2004, 10:17 AM
Raymond LeFlyr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default North Carolina Combat Group

This is just to let anyone who might be interested know that there is a crew of combat flyers in the Raleigh, Apex, Smithfield North Carolina area.

We have 6 - 8 core people, 2 - 3 sometimers, and 2 -3 gonna-dos. We fly on the second Sunday of each month - switching between the Jordan Lake Flying Tigers and Johnston County sites.

We fly SSC, 2610 scale, and Open B. The majority of the planes are scale - half home-cut foam and half JKAerotech's. SSC's came from JKA, Lanier, and SPAD. There are a variety of Open B's.

We try to get in three flights of each category each time out.

Spectators are great but new targets would be even more welcome. Enquire within.
Old 10-11-2004, 10:58 AM
ncpiperpilot
My Feedback: (31)

Default RE: North Carolina Combat Group

Hi Raymond,

I too am one of the core combat flyers for this group. I have to admit, I have never had so much fun flying RC. We have a blast!!! Our intent is to have FUN...maybe a little clean-trash talking and a lot of combat flying. We are not judging or doing official scoring...Just the opportunity to have braggin' rights when we cut streamers or survive a round with our streamers intact. Probably half the group's goals are to go home with only minor repairs!

If you want to have some combat fun, this is the place to be!!!!

Thanks Raymond for being such a great fellow combatant and putting your streamers out there for me.

...Bill
Old 10-11-2004, 05:54 PM
Raymond LeFlyr

Bill,

Ah hem!
and putting your streamers out there for me.
I beg your pardon! Boy, you are in for it on the 14th!
Old 10-11-2004, 10:57 PM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

I happened to witness this madness on several occasions, including yesteday. As a bystander, waiting for the air to clear a bit so I can get in some of my own flying, I can say it looks like a lot of fun. As soon as I find time to assemble that Gremlin kit I just bought on eBay I may decide to join the fun.
Old 10-12-2004, 05:49 AM
Raymond LeFlyr

Chuck,

"Come on down" - er I guess "come on UP" would be more appropriate.

I have never built a Gremlin but I understand that they are so popular in Great Britain that they use them for one-design events. Therefore it must be a competitive design. So, I expect that you will soon be a force to be reckoned with.

From my perspective here is some advice for you. Build it as heavy as you can so that in a mid-air you will be the winner. Join the wings slightly crooked so that you can turn really quick (many people do not know this trick). During a bout always maintain a level, left-hand pattern. Your opponents will expect you to climb and dive and turn right sometimes - but this way you will fool them. Clever, huh?

Don't bother to thank me for the above hints. I'm a humble sorta guy and it would just make me blush. And don't share these tricks with the other guys - that way just you and I will have the advantage .
Old 10-12-2004, 07:00 AM
piper_chuck

ORIGINAL: Raymond LeFlyr

Chuck,

"Come on down" - er I guess "come on UP" would be more appropriate.

I have never built a Gremlin but I understand that they are so popular in Great Britain that they use them for one-design events. Therefore it must be a competitive design. So, I expect that you will soon be a force to be reckoned with.
Not sure if I'll be a force, or more fodder.

From my perspective here is some advice for you. Build it as heavy as you can so that in a mid-air you will be the winner.
I was thinking of picking up some steel rods from Home Depot to use for the leading edge. Since you are suggesting making it heavy, is it ok if I use a .61?
Join the wings slightly crooked so that you can turn really quick (many people do not know this trick). During a bout always maintain a level, left-hand pattern. Your opponents will expect you to climb and dive and turn right sometimes - but this way you will fool them. Clever, huh?
Thanks for sharing your secrets. I guess the level, left hand pattern is along the lines of the tactics the US spy plane used to take out the Chinese "state-of-the-art" fighter.
Don't bother to thank me for the above hints. I'm a humble sorta guy and it would just make me blush. And don't share these tricks with the other guys - that way just you and I will have the advantage .
What about the "let me hide my plane in the weeds" tactic I saw someone use on Sunday? Does that work well too?
Old 10-13-2004, 01:38 PM
Montague

Hey, any chance you NC guys might come up to the contest in Hanover, VA on Oct 30th? It's just north of Richmond, VA, just off of 95. RCCA B class and SSC are on the schedule. There should be a pretty good turnout.

Btw, I also run a small mailing list and website for combat in the general Midatlantic area. If you guys are interested, you can get on the list to promote your events a little, or send me info, and I'll put your event on the events calendar. (It's not just for RCCA events, though most that are on there now happen to be RCCA events). The website is www.MitAtlanticCombat.com. There is a link from there to the mailing list as well.
Old 10-13-2004, 07:19 PM
Raymond LeFlyr

Kirk,

I'll copy your post to our group's email list. I know that there are a couple of guys who intend to start travelling to some RCCA events. But right now we are just chasing each other and having a ball.

But watch out for us before too long!
Old 10-13-2004, 11:51 PM
Montague

Thanks, I look forward to seeing you guys. And don't be afraid of showing up, RCCA events doesn't necessarily mean all-out cuthroat combat. Most of the events around here are pretty laid back.
Old 11-01-2004, 11:35 AM
Raymond LeFlyr

Chuck, Mike, et al,

This hyar is just one o' them reminders that we have a combat session scheduled for Sunday Nov 14 at the JCAC field.

We will have several scantily clad young womed there to assist in tying on streamers and providing sympathy for those who will certainly suffer humiliating defeat at my hands (or prop as the case might be).

Also, it has been rumored that a free gourmet meal will be available at each of our ten pit tables so you may want to come early.

Finally, if you need directions to our field - you'll just have to 'google' it or use our beloved AMA site 'cuz I can't recall it offhand and I'm too lazy to click on 'favorites' (which you should have our site on your machine anyway).

Respectfully (uh huh) submitted...
Old 11-01-2004, 01:11 PM
piper_chuck

ORIGINAL: Raymond LeFlyr

Chuck, Mike, et al,

This hyar is just one o' them reminders that we have a combat session scheduled for Sunday Nov 14 at the JCAC field.
Darn, I haven't even started building yet. How many hours does a combat gremlin take to get flying?
We will have several scantily clad young womed there to assist in tying on streamers and providing sympathy for those who will certainly suffer humiliating defeat at my hands (or prop as the case might be).
Does this mean I should leave my wife at home?

Also, it has been rumored that a free gourmet meal will be available at each of our ten pit tables so you may want to come early.
I'll be sure to eat before I go

Finally, if you need directions to our field - you'll just have to 'google' it or use our beloved AMA site 'cuz I can't recall it offhand and I'm too lazy to click on 'favorites' (which you should have our site on your machine anyway).
Uh oh, I'm going to have to get permission to leave Chatham County.
Old 11-01-2004, 03:11 PM
Raymond LeFlyr

Chuck,

You have MY permission to leave chatham County - that's enough.

Bring your wife at your own discretion.

Seriously, come up (down, along, whatever) even if you don't have a target - er combat model. You can fly anything else you have - we can always use spotters/callers - and I'm pretty sure you'll have a good time.
Old 11-01-2004, 03:13 PM
Raymond LeFlyr

Oh yeah Chuck,

Bring your large baggy flute and you can entertain us between bouts .
Old 11-15-2004, 05:00 PM
Raymond LeFlyr

Woo hoo! Did we have a good time yesterday or what!

Yeah it was windy and bordering on cold. But our core guys would not be discouraged.

Eight pilots. At least ten bouts (I lost count). About an equal number of SSCs and 2610s (one Open B, mine of all people). Averaged 6 planes in the air each time. Lots of little cuts (way to go guys). Maybe four planes damaged in mid-airs, two requiring major repairs.

We're scheduled again for December 12 at Jordan Lake - weather willing and the creek don't rise.
Old 12-22-2004, 06:15 PM
vicious p

Didnt know anyone flew combat in the carolina's..Im from greensboro. Ive been flying a few months with a F-27 styker, no one to fly/combat with though. Whats one of the more affordable classes of craft you guys combat with? Might think about giving it a try. thanks
Old 12-22-2004, 07:25 PM
piper_chuck

Actually, the owner of the LHS is trying to get me to buy an F-27 so they have some additional targets when they get theirs out. I haven't bit yet.
Old 12-22-2004, 10:10 PM
vicious p

Get one, this thing is awsome...It was easy enough on low-rates to learn to fly it well, and on high-rates can do some pretty nice arobatics..F-27 has been my second plane..My first was a gentle lady glider..This thing can take real abuse.I basically learned to fly on it.I was trying to teach my dad to fly it and he nosed it into the ground at about 100ft...Needless to say it was a mess..But i actually glued/taped it back together in about 20mins. It would kick so much ass if i could use that little sonic thingy with someone else or combat with it. What type of plane do you guys combat with around here? Might sell my t-maxx and get a glow powered plane if there are enough people to play with.
Old 01-01-2005, 10:11 AM
Raymond LeFlyr

Vicious and Piper,

I think there is enough information in the previous posts on this thread to give you an idea of what our group does.

The 'entry level' is pretty much a given to be the Slow Survivable Combat as defined by the RCCA. SSC and 2610 are healthy in our group. Open B is falling off. 2548 may see a little action in 2005.

A couple of us have talked about electrics based arounf the 3DX size and power but it hasn't happened yet.

...and we still fly combat on the second Sunday of each month.
Old 02-14-2005, 09:32 AM
badger5964
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey man!

My club here in Fayetteville, NC just committed to buying some SSC gear. There is about 8 of us going to do it. We are looking to make a bulk purchase of engines. Talk seemed to center on a Magnum 15. Would this be a good engine for SSC? Any recommendations for equipment?
Old 02-14-2005, 10:40 AM
Raymond LeFlyr

Yo Badge,

All opinions expressed below are the sole responsibility of me and combat people being who they are I'm sure there will be those who disagree. Here goes.

Personally, the Magnum would be my first choice but if I could get a better deal on LAs I might be persuaded. If you are going to weigh down your models to "make weight" you'll probably use full-size Nicads. Personally, I think the RCCA weight limits are - well I like smaller Nimhs around 270. and top them off after a couple of flights. This works for us because we alternate SSC and 2610/2548 matches.

Servos, there are some that like the GWS minis. That's mostly what I have in the five models I currently have flyable but in some cases I use what I had availlable. This presents a size/compatibility problem for repairs . But I think my next generation is going to be all standard sized using high-speed/high torque on the wing and elevator (no digitals please). The reason is uniformity - and 2548.

When you guys get comfortable, and if you are interested, it would be great to get our two groups together for some good-sized fur balls. Your place or ours?
Old 02-14-2005, 12:41 PM
Montague

For SSC, between the Magnum and the OS LA, I personally prefer the Mag. But most guys seem to prefer the LA.

On the Mags, you really want to be sure to take care of the carb. You can see what I do at www.MidAtlanticComabt.com. If you don't do something to the carbs, they will work great at first, but start sucking air and get erratic after a little time.

I also remove one of the two headgaskets from the engine after it's been beaten to death, and doesn't put out the power any more. Wakes the old engine back up.

Btw, Can someone send me info on when and where you guys fly down there?
Old 02-14-2005, 02:08 PM
badger5964
My Feedback: (6)

Thanks Raymond and Montague

I like building so do you have any SPAD recomendations? I was thinking the HOR from the spadtothebone.com website.

When do you all fly combat? Thinking about at least watching an event. Just south of Raleigh can't be more than an hour from Fayetteville.
Old 02-14-2005, 10:12 PM
Raymond LeFlyr

I'm not a big fan of SPADs. We tried HORs and SNMs.

We fly every month (second Sunday) alternating between Jordan Lake (http://www.ncflyingtigers.org/combat/)and JCAC near Smithfied (netfirms.jcac.com). Any and all are welcome. PM me for more details.
Old 02-15-2005, 09:21 AM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

Raymond!!What is the meaning of this!!? Combat!,ELECTRIC!!thats it mister,, your outa here! pack your things,take your friends with you , and LEAVE THE KEY!!playing with us 1/2a guys while ALL THE WHILE planning on crashing into us??How DARE you!!, ah on second thought what the heck, I use to play with parkflyers..and we got a pylon race coming up, you'' ll have your chance..Rog
Old 02-15-2005, 10:48 AM
Raymond LeFlyr

Wait just a minute there Bunky,

What are you doing lurking in the combat forum anyway? Do I detect latent violent tendencies? A little blood lust in your genetic makeup? Got a crooked DNA helix twist that you fear to acknowledge? Well, I will be generous and forgive your outburst this time.

You haven't seen me promoting 1/2A combat have you? Well, not recently anyway. But now that you mention it I guess you will have to be careful if I get behind you while we're racing (insert diabolical laughter here, heh, heh, heh).

Turn in my Small Minded key, I should say not! harumph!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.