Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Combat
Reload this Page >

ATTENTION DANGER CARL GOLDBERG SPINERS

Notices
RC Combat Discuss rc combat planes, techniques and strategies here.

ATTENTION DANGER CARL GOLDBERG SPINERS

Old 05-23-2010, 09:29 PM
Crash-RCU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: ATTENTION DANGER CARL GOLDBERG SPINERS

Goldberg spinners are no more I got a few of the smaller 1 3/4" ones from tower and they did not have all the colors that I wanted. They work great on electrics.
Old 05-26-2010, 07:39 AM
RACE 66

Old school here.... I am not discounting plastic spinners and the various ways how they attach to the engine/motor and procedures of attaching them.
Earlier I did use all plastic spinner and backing plate, that all we had then (late sixties) then I went to a aluminum backing plate and plastic spinner, now I use all aluminum backing and spinner. I can't comment on the "newer" carbon fiber series have had no expeirence or use of them.
My history of use, is that I've had a all plastic spinner/backing plate series fly apart at certain times, with smaller and larger engine sizes. With the aluminum backing plate and plastic spinner and all aluminum backing and spinnner, I've never had a problem with them.
Yes, on a "backfire" I've had an aluminum backing plate and plastic spinner, the spinner has come off and fortunately no injuries were inccured.
Yes, the all metal construction of an aluminum serie of spinner are a little spendy, but in my eyes, what price is safety in this area.
Old 05-27-2010, 05:48 PM
DeferredDefect

What kind of spinners are Great Planes using in their ARTF's?  I had to chuck the one that came with my Escapade it looked so cheap!
Old 10-24-2011, 10:01 PM
bchapman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm old school and I've never had a problem with the Goldberg spinners. The snap together design was always more of a pain than using screws because it was harder in engage properly. I haven't even seen any of these in quite some time. The LHS in my area doesn't even carry spinners, so you're screwed. If you're not into RC cars or whatever he/she stocks, they don't really have any time for you. That's another topic, so don't get me started.

I remember that the Goldberg spinners always came in the Sig accessory kits back in the 1980s. If the prop nut did come off in starting, like another poster suggested, you had everything in one neat package. No searching in the grass for the prop nut. I don't think the ones with the screws are any more secure than these.

Damn, now I've gotta go out and find one for my new plane!! LOL!

And I love replying to old threads...just because it's old doesn't mean the topic is somehow irrelevant as others may want you to believe.

Old 07-23-2014, 06:37 AM
flybyjohn
My Feedback: (2)

I'll reply to this old thread just because I finally got my mustang together and flying. I was using the Carl Goldberg spinner on a magnum 52 xls and lost the spinner during the first flight. I didn't see it come off the plane and don't know where it went but I do know that I had run the engine on the bench and on the plane on the ground for more than 6 tanks with the spinner and the first flight in the air, I lost the spinner. I am certain it was on good and tight and I did have to cut clearance for the prop and balanced the whole works before putting it on the plane. I will be buying a new spinner but it won't be a goldberg. Not just because it came off in flight but also because I could not find any covering to match it. I never lost a spinner held on with screws or bolts before.

Edit: I guess maybe I will buy a Goldberg spinner because when I was looking for a replacement, I found out I can get 4 goldberg spinners for the cost of one great planes spinner. I'll deal with the color match after if I loose the four I buy.

Last edited by flybyjohn; 07-23-2014 at 09:59 AM.